Bookworms discussion

Investigation-in-progress > Hobbies/Interests other than Reading

Comments (showing 1-48 of 48) (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Neena (new)

Neena (I-am-addicted-to-reading) | 9758 comments Mod
Hi, we all know we love reading but there are other things too that we ll like to do other than reading.....so let's talk about what are your other interests/hobbies other than reading...

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

My alter hobby is MUSIC. Like books, life without music is difficult to imagine!!!
I play a little bit of guitar, and my favorite genre is Blues.
A thriller in hand, with Muddy Waters singing in the background is the perfect setting for me!!

message 3: by Neena (new)

Reading is what I love absolutely...my other interests always keep changing....other than reading I love lazy mornings enjoying sun, baking and cooking..I love to try new recipies(Indian and western....baking cookies or cakes is one thing that never fails to make me happy...I love talking about relationships, human nature as all the women do...I reacently got this hobby of quilting too but it is not going to stay for long I know...

message 4: by Poornima (new)

Poornima | 84 comments Hey Neena, so agree with you :) Baking is one of my interests too and it always helps to brighten a rough day! I also love oil painting..landscapes and still life mostly. Very interested to pick up different languages (sanskrit, french, spanish), though have to manage time for it....

message 5: by Neena (new)

@ Poornima yeah it always give us women pleasure to cook for family....are you learning any new language like spanish or french? I did study french as internationational language during my masters but my french is limited to very basic words or few sentences...

message 6: by Poornima (new)

Poornima | 84 comments Neena, I attempted French through the e-books available, but haven't progressed much .. Studying in school would be good thing! :)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I had taken French lessons for a year!! But the language is unnecessarily hard and complicated :P

message 8: by Neena (new)

Anirban I agree with you...hindi I studied for few years in school and I'm perfectly capable of writing and reading it......here french is same in schools....still I have seen people can't perfect it well if they don't study it as an addititional language..

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Neena wrote: "Anirban I agree with you...hindi I studied for few years in school and I'm perfectly capable of writing and reading it......here french is same in schools....still I have seen people can't perfect ..."

The funniest thing is we started with 46 students. Ended up with 15 sitting for exams, 9 passing out of them :P

message 10: by Neena (new)

Now the most funny thing..we did not have regular french tacher..you know how our govt universities work!
so we hired a bus to take us to another city( 1 hr away because that was where there was a private french teacher available) 2 times a week....we all passed our french exams, all the semesters but it was like no real knowledge of the language.....we studied to pass the exam....

message 11: by Neena (new)

we had spanish as international language too but there was not even spanish teacher available ( even private) so we opted for french

message 12: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 03, 2012 09:25AM) (new)

Neena wrote: "Now the most funny thing..we did not have regular french tacher..you know how our govt universities work!
so we hired a bus to take us to another city( 1 hr away because that was where there was a ..."

We had a gentleman called Mr.Saumitra Munshi, as our teacher he is a linguist. Speaks french, spanish and taking Italian lessons.
He was a hard taskmaster, but we enjoyed the class.

message 13: by Neena (new)

it's difficult to find such teachers in Punjab......you won't find people willing to learn foriegn languages there.......only one who are willing to learn are the ones who want to go abroad like canada, so learning french is an advantage

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Neena wrote: "it's difficult to find such teachers in Punjab......you won't find people willing to learn foriegn languages there.......only one who are willing to learn are the ones who want to go abroad like ca..."

In Kolkata you will find intellectuals everywhere :D Linguists, painters, musicians, writers.....list is endless.

In my house I have my mom, who is a Vocal Music Teacher, my sister is a amateur singer for 15 yrs, I have been playing tabla since 1991. Dad only listens to music, favorite is Manna Dey !!! :D

message 15: by Neena (new)

I know because my mom who spent all her years in Kolkata before marriage has still not forgiven her massi( aunt, her mum's sister) for suggesting the proposal for her marriage to my dad from 'backward Punjab' :D.......it;s still a joke in our family

message 16: by Asha (new)

Asha Seth (ashaseth) Besides Reading, I love gardening, photography, dog-playing, swimming etc.

-A S

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Neena wrote: "I know because my mom who spent all her years in Kolkata before marriage has still not forgiven her massi( aunt, her mum's sister) for suggesting the proposal for her marriage to my dad from 'backw..."

:D

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Asha wrote: "Besides Reading, I love gardening, photography, dog-playing, swimming etc.

-A S"

YOu are a busy bee it seems. Tell us more about the ETC part. We are already enthralled by the ones you mentioned :)

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

RV wrote: "One hobby I would encourage all readers to try is writing. It could be short stories, novella or novels. It is so much fun and so fulfilling. Don't write for publishing it; write it for your own en..."

Writing also acts as a stress buster.

message 20: by Neena (new)

A great hobby. I really regret studying creative writing as my major. Do they teach creative writing as subject there? I was just wondering as in Punjab I never heard about it.

message 21: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Sinha | 10 comments Writing is neck to neck with reading on my list :). I also like photography,specially animal photography. My dog Dobby usually becomes the subject of my experiments :D

message 22: by Alen (last edited Oct 05, 2012 01:44AM) (new)

Alen Joy I love photography.besides reading and photography i love programming I don't know is anyone consider it as a hobby but for me its an interesting hobby...

message 23: by Rajan (new)

Rajan Duggal (rdgamer) @alen: even i like photography a lot. you can take a look at my work at
http://500px.com/rajanduggal

message 24: by Alen (new)

Alen Joy Rajan wrote: "@alen: even i like photography a lot. you can take a look at my work at
http://500px.com/rajanduggal"

coooooooool :)

message 25: by Poornima (new)

Poornima | 84 comments Rajan wrote: "@alen: even i like photography a lot. you can take a look at my work at

Amazing shots, Rajan! Seconding RV sir's question, which camera do you use?

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Rajan wrote: "@alen: even i like photography a lot. you can take a look at my work at

Great shots!!

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

RV wrote: "Rajan wrote: "@alen: even i like photography a lot. you can take a look at my work at

Great photography Rajan. Really nice. What camera (cameras?) do you use?

I lik..."

You shots were wonderful in their own way!!! Actually I am a bit partial towards your genre of photography!!

message 28: by ❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ (last edited Oct 28, 2012 10:40PM) (new)

❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ (BerryNumey) Other than reading? Its photography and video games :D
The best pic I took recently was this:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

....& yeah, I'm an abstract photographer, meaning: The pics speak more than they are!!

For this pic, The hidden meaning...first what is observed:

1. The rose is was white.
2. Now its dead/dried.
3. Its in one piece.
4. The leaves are still green.
5. There is a wall behind.
6. The rose is kinda resting on the stone wall.
7. And no thorns visible as such.

:)

Its life is Almighty's hands, The flower, a tired soul... (:~:)

^-^

message 29: by Neena (new)

@ Numey that's a nice hobby.....looks like a tired sooul.that flower I meant

❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ (BerryNumey) Neena wrote: "@ Numey that's a nice hobby.....looks like a tired sooul.that flower I meant"

Yes, thats what I mean...

message 31: by Neena (new)

@Numey why don't you start a thread where everyone can post their pics. And I have no idea how you can embed pic in thread like this. So tell me is it just simple copy paste por something else?

❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ (BerryNumey) For the pics you need the html. Its like this:

<*img src="http://i48.tinypic.com/bj8sw5.jpg" width="40" height="100" alt="description"/>

Without the * before the img :)

❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ (BerryNumey) Can you open the tread? Or allow me to do it later this week? I'm sort of busy right now :)

message 34: by Aparna (new)

Aparna | 192 comments I love to cook, too! And I like watching movies, walking around, and going on long drives. Every 2-3 weeks or so, I just take off, drive around (alone - this is my me-time) for a couple hours to a spot of the city I've never been, and get back home.

I also collect tea, and try out a new brew every weekend :)

message 35: by Neena (new)

✮ Ї'м Йоt Шєїґd, Ї'м Gїftєd ღ ~ Йцмєу ☮ wrote: "Can you open the tread? Or allow me to do it later this week? I'm sort of busy right now :)"

You do that whenever you get time. Once thread starts I ll try to use your method for posting pics...

message 36: by Neena (new)

Aparna wrote: "I love to cook, too! And I like watching movies, walking around, and going on long drives. Every 2-3 weeks or so, I just take off, drive around (alone - this is my me-time) for a couple hours to a ..."

Cooking is surely a nice hobby. I love trying new recipies. Do you bake too?

message 37: by Abhay (new)

Abhay Kulkarni | 11327 comments Mod
Hola Amigos, i'm totally into books, sports and anime:)
Wondering if anyone's a NARUTO fan here :)

message 38: by Sandeep (new)

Sandeep (sandeep_singh) | 219 comments Well I am way into movies, keep watching one after the other.

message 39: by Aparna (new)

Aparna | 192 comments Neena wrote: "Aparna wrote: "I love to cook, too! And I like watching movies, walking around, and going on long drives. Every 2-3 weeks or so, I just take off, drive around (alone - this is my me-time) for a cou..."

No, but I intend to start. And when I do, I have another source for recipes :)

message 40: by Aparna (new)

Aparna | 192 comments Aparna wrote: "Neena wrote: "Aparna wrote: "I love to cook, too! And I like watching movies, walking around, and going on long drives. Every 2-3 weeks or so, I just take off, drive around (alone - this is my me-t..."

So Neena, Poornima, I hope you girls are into "healthy baking" :D

message 41: by Neena (new)

Aparna wrote: "Aparna wrote: "Neena wrote: "Aparna wrote: "I love to cook, too! And I like watching movies, walking around, and going on long drives. Every 2-3 weeks or so, I just take off, drive around (alone - ..."

Absolutely.....that's why I love baking at home because I can control the ingredients.......I always modify recipies so as to eliminate unhealthy ingredients....with cookies and cakes one can't do much(it affect their taste if you try to replace butter and sugar with other things) but pizza, chicken, lasagna, red meat and everything else etc I always make 95% fat free...

❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ (BerryNumey) @Neena, can I add the "Photos" thread in the Fun&Games one? or here in Investigation...?

message 43: by Neena (new)

✮ Ї'м Йоt Шєїґd, Ї'м Gїftєd ღ ~ Йцмєу ☮ wrote: "@Neena, can I add the "Photos" thread in the Fun&Games one? or here in Investigation...?"

Add it in 'Genral Chat' thread Numey. I think it ll fit perfectly there.

❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ (BerryNumey) I''ll also copy/paste my own comment from here :D

message 46: by Poornima (new)

Poornima | 84 comments Aparna wrote: "Aparna wrote: "Neena wrote: "Aparna wrote: "I love to cook, too! And I like watching movies, walking around, and going on long drives. Every 2-3 weeks or so, I just take off, drive around (alone - ..."

:) I try to find substitutes, if possible, but again nothing at cost of the taste ;) but I bake only eggless, so end up trying lot of substitutes! Heh, saw ur message just now, feeling guilty of the buttery cookies that I baked today! :D

message 47: by Nadeem (new)

Nadeem Shaikh | 115 comments Movies fanatic...loves to play cricket and CAN'T imagine my life without XBOX & PLAY STATION...

message 48: by Bhavana (new)

Bhavana | 1065 comments besides reading i love writing poems short stories...even planning to write novels in near future:-D n i love music can't imagin ma life without music....love to play guitar...and i love photography...