The Next Best Book Club discussion

Other Novels To Discuss > Scarpetta- patricia Cornwell

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments I haven't read this book but it is without almsot any patience waiting in my drawer to be read. But I got the following kind of interview. Patricia Cornwell asnwering questions after having published her latest novel. I thought it was quite interesting to read.

1. Why did you bring Benton back?? Asked by “Jean”

Patricia’s Answer - Jean, truth is, so many, many readers wanted him back and kept asking me if he was really dead. One day I asked myself: Is he? I realized he wasn’t—holy smoke.

2. Ms. Cornwell, it is exciting to read how you are speaking out now about human rights and equal rights for the Gay community regarding marriage. Have you been keeping up with recent propositions posed in the most recent elections regarding this issue? California narrowly passed an addendum to the state constitution banning same-sex marriages (with major financial help from the Mormon church), and Arkansas passed one making it illegal for same-sex couples to adopt children. Your thoughts? Asked by “Robyn”

Patricia’s Answer - Robyn, I was crushed by these recent decisions. My joy over the outcome of the election was tarnished and dented by the outcome of the propositions, which are wrong and sad and just plain ignorant. I hope one day the very questions you’re asking me will no longer be an issue, because they shouldn’t be, that’s for sure.

3. I have read ALL of your books and love them all. I would like to ask if you think you would ever come to Australia? Asked by “Tanya”

Patricia’s Answer - Tanya, I did a book tour in Australia about 17 years ago and haven’t been back since, which is terrible. I love Australia and look forward to another visit, maybe sooner rather than later. I have no doubt Scarpetta could find something intriguing to do there.

4. How much time do you spend doing research before you write? Do you go back during the writing process to do more? Is this what determines how much time between each book release? Asked by “Elise”

Patricia’s Answer - Elise, hard to answer succinctly because my research radar is never in sleep mode. My research is cumulative. I spend about a year, total, on each book, but could not write any of them at this stage had I not written all of them. My knowledge builds and continues to build. Yes, I continue to research as I write because questions come up, and I say to Scarpetta, “Oh no. Why did you do that? Now I have to go to NASA or I won’t be able to describe it…” Etc. As for book releases, I try to have one a year for you.

5. When you’re not writing your wonderful novels, what kind of things do you like to do for fun in your spare time? Are you always working on a new book in your mind? Asked by “Gina”

Patricia’s Answer -I love to go on very long walks, listen to music, play with our bulldog, feed the deer on our Massachusetts property, watch snow fall, and flee to South Florida when I can’t stand the cold a moment longer. I adore the people who do “for real” what I write about (hanging out with MEs, death investigators, cops, scientists). I find joy in flying my helicopter, which is one of the best things I do for many reasons—nothing is much better than putting on the flight suit and forgetting everything except being a pilot. It’s humbling and amazing. What else…? Motorcycles and Ferraris and imagining nice people like you. (Thank you for your kind words.)

6. If you could go back in time which era, whereabouts and why? Asked by “Marian”

Patricia’s Answer- Marian, I wouldn’t go back at all, unless I could do it briefly. Long enough to have a word with Lincoln about not going to the theater, and to cheer him, and to tell Harriet Beecher Stowe (we’re distantly related) that she should find some joy in her heavy life because she did a very great thing, and were she to be around for the election of 2008 she’d see just what I mean. Then I would return to the here and now, because this is where I belong and where I should offer the best I have and keep pushing for more as I continue to hope that maybe one day I’ll do something that somehow helps.

7. You wrote a marvelous little book about Christmas with Kay, Lucy and Marino I think. It was loaned to me, and I’ve forgotten the title. I’ve looked for it and want to read it again. Asked by “Stephanie”

Patricia’s Answer - Stephanie, I have a special fondness for Scarpetta’s Winter Table. I wrote it, even produced it myself, even directed its photography (I was a stand-in for a lot of the shots, although you might not know it when you look). It’s a sweet holiday tale with no death, only people relating, doing the best they can, and what brings them together out of the cold is her—the Big S, as I call her—Scarpetta’s wisdom, her food and spirit. She’d invite you, too, by the way. The book is hard to find. I’ll see if I can do something about that, since you mentioned it.

8. Did you ever think the books would be so popular? Asked by “ladymac1861”

Patricia’s Answer - Never. I never take it for granted now, either. Thank you for making it possible.

9. I first want to say that you are one of my favorite authors. When I see a Cornwell novel, I pick it up. I don't even need to bother investigating what it is about. If it is yours, I know it will hold my interest, and to me, that is priceless. What piques your interest for the underlying themes of many of your novels- that being crime, death and all the related issues. And isn't it fascinating doing the legwork necessary to prepare for the novels? And you don't plan to retire soon, do you? Asked by “Laura”

Patricia’s Answer -Laura, you are very kind. The legwork is demanding but vital. If I don’t get with the real people, I have nothing to say (my characters won’t speak to me if I don’t get bloody, dirty, tired and worn out, and attend to the details of everyone). Lord, I hope you don’t think I should retire. Nope, retiring’s not on my mind. I feel I’m close to hitting my stride but not there yet, because who knows? Maybe I’ll get better at this one of these days.

10. How does Kay just have that glass of wine and whip up a great dinner? Any recipes for us workaholics? Asked by “Sue”

Patricia’s Answer - Sue, she cooks the way she does everything, really – with her heart and soul. If you sit at her table and she pours your wine or serves your plate, she does it with a quiet passion that gently communicates her great respect for your life. for who and what you are. A meal with her is a communion of sorts. As for recipes? Best thing is to get a copy of Food To Die For. Lots of her recipes for you to try. Have fun and make it a gift to yourself and whoever is your guest. Take time to live.

message 2: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Thanks Jeane :) :) :) :)

message 3: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Welcome, wonder if anybody read it already.

message 4: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) Jeane, I know a few ppl have read this hun. I have a copy that I won on Ebay. Which I am patiently (keeps hands to her side) to read.

Thanks for asking her those wonderful questions as well xx

message 5: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments I can't wait till I will read mine.....