The YA Dystopian Book Club discussion

The Moon Dwellers (The Dwellers, #1)
This topic is about The Moon Dwellers
Archives > The Moon Dwellers - Questions for the Author

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lilac , Moderator (new) - added it

Lilac  | 434 comments Mod
As I hope you know, The Moon Dwellers is our group read for October. We happen to be lucky enough that the author of the book, David Estes, is a member of this group. So please feel free to ask any questions you may have about The Moon Dwellers and I'm sure David will be able to answer them when he has time. Enjoy the book and don't hesitate to ask any questions here! :D

message 2: by David (new) - added it

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 1040 comments Yay! Thanks Lilac! You can also ask me anything at all from when I started writing full time to male grooming habits lol! I'll take a crack at anything! Thanks everyone and I can't wait to hear what you think of The Moon Dwellers :)

message 4: by Max (new)

Max Bohm | 2 comments Hi David, great book! I was just wondering what specific cultural trend you are warning us of, as do most dystopian books. My initial thought was unlawful or unjustified detainment but I would love to hear from the source himself! Thanks!

message 5: by David (new) - added it

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 1040 comments Hi Max! Great to meet you and thanks for reading one of my books :) Great question!

For The Moon Dwellers, my biggest message is:
The dangers of allowing the gap between classes to widen, particularly the gap between the upper and middle class. It's very relevant nowadays in the U.S. considering the widening gap we're experiencing. It leads to all kinds of questions, including unemployment (which you see in the book), low middle class wages (also in the book), and in the worst cases, instability and civil unrest (definitely in the entire series!)

Although to your point, there is definitely a bit of unlawful detainment for sure, so you're not wrong there! It's just not my biggest focus ;)

Thanks again Max, I really appreciate it! If you wouldn't mind rating and/or reviewing my book I'd really appreciate it, that helps me so much as an Indie author :) Also, if you like YA books, my fan group is now a YA Lovers group too, just in case you want to join the 1,200+ members in chatting about your favorite books :) Here's a link!

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/7...

message 6: by Max (new)

Max Bohm | 2 comments Thank you so much! I'll be sure to join the group. I appreciate the feedback!

message 7: by David (new) - added it

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 1040 comments You're most welcome Max, thank YOU!