The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Intros, Questions & Suggestions > Any Audiobook Fans Out There???

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 361 comments My husband and I are starting to look into audiobooks and I'm wondering if any of you are fans and have suggestions for some outstanding selections? Anything from NY Times Bestseller-Lists to YA novels to more obscure titles or even Classics. Tyler is on the road a lot for work and looking to make the drives more stimulating! I have a feeling not all narrators are equally talented and that some stories are better read-alouds than others. Thanks! :-)

message 2: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

whichwaydidshego | 1996 comments Mod
I've heard that listening to mysteries is one of the best ways to go if you travel a great deal or for great distances. Like Kathy Reichs who wrote the books the TV series Bones stems from. I haven't read her books, but apparently they are pretty descriptive and those are supposed to be the best for listening. In truth, I'm going from an NPR story called "Roadside Reviews" where they interviewed truckers! It was really cool. There's a mini-article on it here. Just a thought.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 74 comments Toni Morrison's books read by Lynne Thigpen are very good. I also recommend the Harry Potter audio books. The narrator is fabulous!

message 4: by Gwynne (new)

Gwynne | 63 comments I second both posts so far. Jim Dale (the man who narrates harry potter) is wonderful. And when i've had to drive cross country, I opt for mystery or thriller, like Mary Higgins Clark or James Patterson. I have also found that The Know-It-All One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World was narrated rather well.

message 5: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 361 comments Thanks!!! I will check those out and pass along the info to Tyler.

message 6: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 40 comments The narrator for the Harry Potter books is fantastic. I just finished listening to all on Audio books. I listen to a lot of audio books since I have a long commute and its hit or miss on narrators. I loved the narrator on Maniac Meghee (YA) but wasn't thrilled with the story. On the other hand I stopped listening to Boy Next Door because the narrator was soooo bad, but usually enjoy Meg Cabots books. For chick lit, the Heather Wells mystery novels by Meg Cabot have a great narrator.

message 7: by Regina Fitek (new)

Regina Fitek | 16 comments I am so glad someone started this thread. I love listening to audio books everyday on my way to work. Some of my favorites have been:

Harry Potter (as all others have stated are fantastic...I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thought this:)
Measure of a Man (read by Sydney Poitier himself)
In This I Believe (a collection of essays written and read by many famous and not-so-famous people)

I can't think of them all right now, but I will repost if something else comes to mind!

message 8: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 23 comments Ah, people after my own heart . . . I've been listening to audiobooks in the car and while I do housework for a long time. Even though I couldn't read him, I find John Grisham PERFECT for the car! (One novel took me round trip NY-Montreal) Anything read by the author is usually great: The Kite Runner, On Chesil Beach, even some of Elizabeth Berg. I listened to Bel Canto after reading it - even better in audio. Likewise an EXCELLENT reading of Patchett's Run and The Magician's Assistant. Lastly, I had never made myself read either Tom Sawyer or Huckleberry Finn - in the car on another road trip, they were hilarious!!

message 9: by Anna (new)

Anna (olive415) I'm listening to Year of Wonders now and the narrator, Stina Neilsen is excellent.

message 10: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (lindseyloo725) | 9 comments I listen to audiobooks all day while working. I listen to about 2-3 a week. Anything by Jodi Picoult is amazing. (I'm actually going to start listening to Emma in the morning!) All of the previous suggestions are going to be added to my list!

message 11: by Literary Multitudes (last edited Feb 13, 2009 04:36PM) (new)

Literary Multitudes (literary_multitudes) I love listening to audio books while driving to work. :)

I have several audiobooks my own, have got a huge library of audiobooks as mp3s and recently bought the unabriged version of "Persuasion" read by Juliet Stevenson off audible.com (and plan on getting more Jane Austen from there, because it's way cheaper than the CD-versions). I really recommend any Austen book read by Juliet Stevenson. Her voice and reading style is wonderful. There are short versions of the books with wonderful music between the cahpters and unabridged ones without music.

And I love www.librivox.org. Just downloaded a wonderful reading of The Woman in White (25 hours...) to which I am currently listening. :) The quality varies of course (and I sometimes find it hard to listen to books by british authors read by volunteers with hard American accents ;-) ), but there are really, really good things on there and I love it and it's all free and I highly recommend it! :-)

message 12: by Regina Fitek (new)

Regina Fitek | 16 comments Just remembered...for fans of the Harry Potter series, I also listened to Peter and the Starcatchers (YA, but good for all ages) and that is amazingly performed by Jim Dale as well. Enjoy!

message 13: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 23 comments Anyone who likes English mysteries of the dry humor variety will love Martha Grimes in the car.

message 14: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 361 comments I picked up "Around the World in 80 Days" in audiobook just because I've been toying with the idea of reading it and thought if I got bored enough in the car it might inspire me! ;-p Turns out, the narrator is Jim Dale!!! Wow, he is SO amazing!!!! I cannot believe how great he is with the accents and different characterizations, and moreover making the text INTERESTING and really textured--admittedly some segments would be quite dull reading, I think (and I'm a fan of classics!) I can now begin to imagine (with much delight!) how spectacular he must be with Harry Potter! Thanks, all, for the recommendations. I'm excited he is doing the Peter Pan books, as well.

Somewhat related--has anyone listened to The Shoe Bird A Musical Fable by Samuel Jones. Based on a Story by Eudora Welty which is supposed to be kind of like the "Peter and the Wolf" idea with lots of music throughout? Dale is involved in that one, too, but our library doesn't have it so I'm wondering if it's splendid enough to buy???

message 15: by Anna (new)

Anna (olive415) Is there a list out there of all of Jim Dale's audio book performances? I'd listen to just about anything read by him. He's amazing.

message 16: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 361 comments Here is Dale's homepage, which I assume has all his books listed: http://www.jim-dale.com/

message 17: by Anna (new)

Anna (olive415) Thanks so much for the link!

message 18: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 1 comments I just wanted to add, if you're into television series sometimes they have audiobooks based on them, like Stargate or Doctor Who. (Even Star Wars, although I've never tried those!) The Stargate series is put out by Big Finish Productions and is read by the actors and has sound effects and a soundtrack, which makes it like listening to an episode.

message 19: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 361 comments That sounds really neat, Ashley! I am embarrassed to say I had no idea such audio "books" were out there. Thank you!

message 20: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 361 comments I just listened to Around the World in Eighty Days narrated by JIM DALE and OMG! You are SO right! He is AMAAAAAZING!!!!! Not only in characterizations, but in doing all the ACCENTS from places around the world. Dang! I think the book was definitely helped by his narration and I'm glad I listed to it. It also has some cool "world music" in the background of a few chapter introductions to help enhance the mood and setting. I'm going to try to get everything Jim Dale does!!!

message 21: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 40 comments Milkweed by Jerry Spinelli, read by Ron Rifkin (Sloane from Alias and Saul from Brothers and Sisters). It was great. Ron Rifkin is now right up there with Jim Dale on my list of narrators to look for. Rifkin really captures the youth and innocents of the main character.

message 22: by Mary-Ann (new)

Mary-Ann (arcticsilence) I don't know if your husband is into Fantasy or if he is if He's read the Wheel of Time Series written by Robert Jordan, read by Kate Redding and Michael Kramer. I listened to a couple of those on Audiobook and they are amazing (at least I felt so). I switched back to reading the books because my internet is frustrating to deal with and even with itunes purchases it can be a pain. I definitely recommend them for fantasy fans :)

message 23: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 361 comments Well, I wouldn't necessarily of thought he'd be into any sort of "fantasy" book but he just read the audibook for Airborn and LOVED it and also highly praised the audiobook cast and production. So, now I'm "reading" it! ;-p