J.D. Robb discussion

In Death Unplugged > The Novellas - Like 'em or Leave 'em?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 81) (81 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (Ejaygirl) | 10511 comments Mod
I noticed that J. D. Robb did not include a novella on her schedule this year. Did you miss it or are you okay with her focusing on two full length novels this year? Do you want that trend to continue?

Lastly, did you ever read any of the other stories in each of the anthologies?

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (InDeathAddict) | 1070 comments Whatever she wants to write is ok with me, as long as she WRITES another In Death book.

message 3: by Ness (new)

Ness (Caskett-fan) | 221 comments I try to read in order , also the novellas. As Dee said, as long as she writes a in death book:)

message 4: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidid73) | 25 comments I've almost never read the novellas in order - just whenever I get around to it, so it doesn't really bother me. I sometimes forget that they fill in some of the little gaps in the storyline, and it occasionally confuses me when one of the novels refers to a plot point from one of the novellas. They're all good, though. :)

message 5: by Jonetta (new)

Hint: Possession in Death (In Death, #31.5) should be read in order. There's a major scene you don't want to miss that's a pick up of one left over from Indulgence in Death.

message 6: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments Agreed about Possession. There's a not-to-be-missed scene! It's also the best novella by a LONG shot! I really really liked it! The other ones... meh. They're okay. I'll definitely read them, because I love all the characters, but I'm not going to BUY any of them. I'm fine with J.D. Robb sticking to two regular books per year.

message 7: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidid73) | 25 comments Thanks for the tip about Possession - it's possible I haven't read that one. They sort of mix around in my head, but I can't remember it at all. Time to hit the library! :)

message 8: by Jonetta (new)

I'm with Sara on it being the best of the novellas. There are a couple of others that I liked but for the most part, I can take them or leave them. I have to read them because they do move the timeline.

Heidi, if you can't remember it, chances are you didn't read it because it's memorable.

message 9: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments Yeah, it's a recent one that goes between Indulgence in Death and Treachery in Death. The book it's in is The Other Side.

message 10: by Ren (new)

Ren (RenPuspita) | 109 comments I think I'm not read Possession yet, but make sense since I'm not read Treachery too, lol!

My favorite is when Eve solved a case of a haunted building. I don't remember the title. I notice for the novellas, some have a paranormal aspect of it, even just mild.

message 11: by Jonetta (new)

Ren, that's Haunted in Death. I think most of the novellas have a "woo woo" aspect to them. I cannot think of one that didn't. Can any of you?

message 12: by Ren (new)

Ren (RenPuspita) | 109 comments I think Midnight in Death and Interlude in Death don't have a "woo woo", Jonetta :)

message 13: by Jonetta (new)

You're right! Thanks, Ren.

message 14: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments True! The other ones were all published in paranormal anthologies, so it makes sense they'd be more "woo woo"... :)

message 15: by Jonetta (new)

That makes sense.

message 16: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidid73) | 25 comments Missing in Death doesn't contain any paranormal activity, but it's written to make you wonder if it does. She definitely stretched the limits of plausibility, but did point to a scientific solution instead of something magical or "woo-woo". Even when I was re-reading it I sat there, trying to remember the conclusion (it had been a while).

message 17: by Mary (new)

Mary | 208 comments Since I'm still catching up with the series I haven't read all the novellas you've referred to (and I'm dying to read that so called not-to-be-missed scene in Possesion in death), but I generally try to read all the novellas because I find them refresing and interesting.Of course they are rather short, but I think they involve more of Roarke and Eve's releationship!

message 18: by Jonetta (new)

You're in that special group that gets the purpose of the novellas. I'm in the stubborn group that can only handle those full length stories where I can settle down for hours with these people:)

message 19: by Mary (new)

Mary | 208 comments Yeah sure I see your point 'cause I, too, like watching the stories develop, but novellas are quite fun and sometimes related to other books. But, yeah, I know what you mean.

message 20: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments You HAVE to read Possession! I just listened to it again maybe 3 weeks ago cuz I needed a quick Eve/Roarke fix!

message 21: by Jonetta (new)

Now THAT'S one I loved!

message 22: by Ren (new)

Ren (RenPuspita) | 109 comments Umm, I forget about the not-to-be-missed scene in Possession in Death. I had read it, but not sure what scene that you mean.

message 23: by Jonetta (new)

I'll put it in a spoiler. (view spoiler)

message 24: by Mary (new)

Mary | 208 comments I'm soooo tempted to open the spoiler and read it...but I won't as much as it kills me! And do you know what the caziest thing is? Possesion in Death is one from the very few In Death books I don't have and can't find anywhere to download!!! What am I going to do???

message 25: by Jonetta (new)

Don't you dare!:) You do know that it's in the anthology The Other Side right?

message 26: by Mary (new)

Mary | 208 comments Yeah I do. But I don't have it and I can't find it anywhere....

message 27: by Chelsealuv (new)

Chelsealuv Krigbaum | 50 comments I just checked from my kindle and found it on Amazon.. "The other side" for $7.99

message 28: by Mary (new)

Mary | 208 comments Thanks but I found it in a God-forgotten webpage for free! Yay!!! :)

message 29: by Jonetta (new)

Yes!

message 30: by Mary (new)

Mary | 208 comments :)

message 31: by Chelsealuv (new)

Chelsealuv Krigbaum | 50 comments awesome!

message 32: by Sara ♥ (last edited Feb 05, 2013 05:47PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments That's not even a spoiler... In fact, the first part is kind of important. Read the VERY end of Indulgence before you read Possession, if you have it available. A spoiler would be saying (view spoiler)

message 33: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (InDeathAddict) | 1070 comments For the most part no I don't like them. Usually, they start getting interesting it is over. There has been a few exceptions Possession in Death was one. Linda Winstead Jones also has some really good novellas.

message 34: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 3169 comments Midnight is one of my favorites of the series and its a novella, so I guess I do. I loved Big Jack ( as well as the counter part in Remember When) but are that a true novella? Not sure of the answer

message 35: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments Oh, that was a good one!

message 36: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (whimsey2) | 108 comments I just finished chaos in death. I thought this was a great little read. I don't normally read short stories only the in death ones. it took me ages to find it. a bit spooky I think it was as good as possession. it has a lovely scene of Rourke taking care of Dallas. she is still injured from her return to Dallas and she realizes he is still feeling off from what happened and in her own way takes care if him. wow that sentence doesn't make sense at all maybe cause its 1.30 am. time to go to bed I think.

message 37: by Jonetta (new)

I liked Chaos, too, and don't normally care for the novellas.

message 38: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 3169 comments I absolutely love this most recent novella, Taken, but only liked one of the other stories in Mirror, Mirror. There is just something about a romance novella I don't care for. Possibly the fall in love in 5 pages....

Sandi - Protester of Goofreads (sfussner) The only novellas I read are the In Death ones. I think I like those so much because I already know/have the back story for all the main characters. In fact, when I am in a 'reading slump' like now, I'll read one of those.

message 40: by Susan (new)

Susan | 352 comments I won't read the novella until I have read Thankless, in case there are any spoilers there. I have been burned that way before.

message 41: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments Susan wrote: "I won't read the novella until I have read Thankless, in case there are any spoilers there. I have been burned that way before."

Someone said there wasn't, but I'm with you on that!

message 42: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 3169 comments I read it and did not see ant crossover between Thankless and Taken

message 43: by Ladyacct (new)

Ladyacct | 153 comments Short story, full length - tomato tamato - she writes it I read it....and yes I do read all the stories in the anthologies it is an excellent way of trying an author's writing style to see if I want to buy a full length novel by them or not.

message 44: by Ladyacct (new)

Ladyacct | 153 comments Dawn wrote: "I read it and did not see ant crossover between Thankless and Taken"

Me either. ....although I do think Eve mentions the guy in Thankless in passing - a good excuse to reread it to make sure. :-)

message 45: by Momreadstoomuch (new)

Momreadstoomuch | 15 comments I like the novellas. They keep me from going crazy waiting on the next one.

message 46: by Ladyacct (new)

Ladyacct | 153 comments No mention of Thankless at all in Taken anthology. BUT she does mention two others and of course her parents in Taken.

Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ (sandrahoover) | 8521 comments Mod
Ladyacct wrote: "Short story, full length - tomato tamato - she writes it I read it....and yes I do read all the stories in the anthologies it is an excellent way of trying an author's writing style to see if I wan..."

That's says it in a nutshell, Ladyacct...if she writes it, I read it. I am seldom disappointed by anything the lady writes and I've found some new fav authors along the way.

message 48: by Teri (new)

Teri Woolley I was going to skip them since I have like 30 full length books to read. But after all the comments here I guess I should read those as they occur.

message 49: by Ladyacct (new)

Ladyacct | 153 comments You won't be disappointed Teri

message 50: by Jonetta (new)

Some you'll like, some you'll like less but as lukewarm as I can be about some of them, I can't skip them.

« previous 1