Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Celebration Of People

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments Ok, I know we are not supposed to pimp our own stuff on here but a few have asked about my recent trip to India. I think that if you have a few minutes to look at some of these photos you will be able to see what matters to me in life. People. These are pictures of people I met along the way. I am sure you will see India in a new way after seeing the eyes of people. They are dignified, proud and in most cases just like us. Again, this is not about me, but just a celebration of people.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinspr...

message 2: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Great pics, man! What's that fireworks one? Was there a celebration?

message 3: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments the kids in the orphanage gave us a rousing welcome at 7am. boys are boys all over the world and like to burn stuff even (or especially) at that hour. i love the way the fireworks pics came out

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't believe you are pimping anything Kevin, we asked for the pics. Refreshing to see that people have so many similarities no matter where in the world they are. Very nice Kevin.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Wow, Kevin. Love all the colors of the saris in the group scenes. And I love the man with the stick, sitting in a red plastic chair.
And, it's hard to take pictures of kids on swings, isn't it?

message 6: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments yup, it is. but it seems to evoke joy and life when there is movement in a picture. when i look at the girls in the various colors of saris i am reminded of the many kinds of people around the world. it is comforting seeing them all together. sort of an "how it should be" thing

message 7: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 347 comments Wow, Kevin, those are some fantastic pictures. I really like the one with the kid with the cricket bat, the shadow in that shot is great. This has jumped India to the top of the list of places I want to go. So much vibrant color!

message 8: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments Yea, wow. This may be because I live in the gray NW but I'm not sure I've ever seen color like that in a group of people. And the kids are just beautiful. I always want to ask "What do you think about?" when I see people that seem so very different from myself. It makes me want to hear their stories, young & old alike.

message 9: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments thanks logan. the one of the kids playing cricket in the street is a pic that reminds me of us playing baseball in the street here. my fav is the one of the old guy sitting in the chair by the window. everything lined up for that shot. as i have said, travel is about the people you meet. i can see things anywhere but i can't experience a culture without interacting with the people. hope you get to go sometime. i want to get back to africa soon

message 10: by Lori (last edited Feb 10, 2009 01:09PM) (new)

Lori Kevin, I missed your first mention of going to India. Were you there on business or pleasure? I have wanted to go to India for the longest time. And after reading Shantarum I want to go for a nice long period.

Those pictures are so vivid, so joyous. Since I too love people, I enjoyed gazing at each one. And the whole slide show was a wonderful splash of color. Say, when you were there, did you try some daal? Haha.

message 11: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i was there doing a medical humanitarian project. we worked in an orphanage and did a clinic there. in the first week we saw over 2500 kids. we then saw some adults and then took the clinic on the road and went to several schools. i am not in the medical profession but was asked to go because i have a lot of experience in cross cultural projects like this. this is my 16th international project like this. my first time in india.

i am a people person and pretty good at languages. i seem to interact really well and quickly. i have held babies in every continent except australia and antartica. these pics celebrate people. pretty easy photo op as they are a beautiful people and as you have mentioned, the colors are vibrant

message 12: by Lori (new)

Lori Yes, one thing I noticed is that all the children were absolutely beautiful. Astonishingly so. Unfortunately, because of the poverty and living conditions, not many retain what nature gave them.

message 13: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments in third world countries people look young for a very long time and then go straight to looking old way too soon

message 14: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
That might be nicer than the decades-long decay of the west.

message 15: by Julie (new)

Julie | 568 comments Very cool pictures...I like the one with the baby that looks angry because he has an ash dot on his head.

message 16: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments they put that kohl on their eyes too. odd seeing a baby with eyeliner on. i am just starting to understand the dot thing. there are gray dots, red dots, yellow streaks, smears and other things. all hindu meanings i think. that was one chubby baby. i have another pic of me holding her

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.