Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > Easiest way to add a book I own?

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul W (new)

Paul W Jones (pwjone1) | 62 comments Sorry, I have read the help and tried to puzzle this out a bit. I buy a book or ebook, I want now to add it to my booklist in BookReads. When I search on the book title or ISBN, it generally comes up. Is there a link or somewhere on the web page where I can add it to owned? I see a button/pull down to mark it "want to read", but I was trying to figure out how to differentiate something I wanted to read (or buy) from something I now own (and obviously enough, haven't read yet)

message 2: by ❂ Jennifer (new)

❂ Jennifer  (jennevans) | 978 comments I've found the easiest way is to add the books I'm going to read to my "To-Read" shelf, then when I've read the book and am writing my review, there's a section at the bottom of the review page/lightbox with a checkbox that says "I own this book". Check that box and the other fields appear for condition, place and date of purchase.

message 3: by Paul W (new)

Paul W Jones (pwjone1) | 62 comments I don't know, that all seems counter-intuitive to me. Wouldn't I want to check off that I own the book, and the purchase date, place, when I bought it? I figure only to review it only after I've read it, which might be some time off.

message 4: by Carina (new)

Carina | 244 comments I saw this thread and it got me looking. If you click on My Books on the left hand side below your shelves it says owned. If you click on that and then on add books you can add books which you own to the owned list.

I bulk added loads so don't know if you can add details as you go along but it looks like you would have to do that for each individual book once it is added.

message 5: by Liz M (last edited Oct 03, 2012 04:42AM) (new)

Liz M | 241 comments Paul W wrote: "Sorry, I have read the help and tried to puzzle this out a bit. I buy a book or ebook, I want now to add it to my booklist in BookReads. When I search on the book title or ISBN, it generally come..."

After you've added a book to "to-read" does a green "edit my review" link appear? Clicking on that link opens up a pop-up box at the bottom of which there is the "owned" check box. Once you check the box, you can fill in the details: date/place of purchase, etc.

You don't have to wait until you've read a book to open the "review" window if you want to review the condition of a book you've purchased.

message 6: by Paul W (new)

Paul W Jones (pwjone1) | 62 comments Carina wrote: "I saw this thread and it got me looking....I bulk added loads so don't know if you can add details as you go along but it looks like you would have to do that for each individual book once it is added.

Yes, I have used the Goodreads Android App, uploaded the books, that worked pretty slickly. MUCH better than the Librarything equivalent. The one thing I would have liked that was missing (I know, end users are never satisfied) was for it it have a setting that set the database "owned" checkbox, and put in the purchase date for me (defaulting to the scan date). Maybe there's some way to do that, but I haven't figured it out. There is a topic over in the applicable GR section:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

with some discussion of that.

But all-in-all, pretty slick app.

message 7: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Oct 03, 2012 08:07AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) Why would it automatically add to owned? Not every book acquired is owned. This should be a user selection at time of adding to shelves. Even adding to shelves doesn't mean it has already been acquired.

ETA: I am daily reminded that people use GR in seemingly unlimited ways - many of which are different than the way I use it. Some people do buy all of the books they read, but from what I see, it isn't the majority of them.

message 8: by Ronald (new)

Ronald | 1 comments Honestly, I wouldn't even know where to start about how crappy this 'add a book' system is.

I have 4000+ books that I own (and, obviously, I haven't read them all) and the interface of goodreads makes adding them to a catalogue pure torture. There should be an 'add multiple books fast' option that ALWAYS is very simple and ALWAYS gives you a very quick (& especially fastloading, so no bloated interface whatsoever, that's murder) list of both shelves & read/toread/owned options...and only add reviews later, when I've actually read it.

With this system it's going to take me YEARS to fill in my catalogue. I've got quite a few friends on this website so I hate to ditch it for something with a proper interface....so if someone knows of a plugin or some other app that actually does have a proper interface to add a massive amount of books quickly without a burdenous bloated interface, and can then import them into goodreads, that would be an immense help.

And don't get me started about the ISBN scanner app. I just tried to scan 30-35 books in my house. It took about 7.

And since I've actually got quite a collection of very rare books, many of them from WAY before the isbn system was ever created, that means I'm going to have to enter well over 80% of them manually.

I've also worked in ICT for many years, including as a beta-tester for software interfaces. I could write up a feature list for such an 'add-many-books-very-quickly' like in a day or two.

This interface is for casual book owners, not collectors, that's for sure.

Here's an idea:
-quickloading.
-let it search for a book in the background while you actually can add the next book already in a new textinput (NOT a new screen, never do new screens if you want speed)
-have easy (&big) foldouts for both /shelves and /read-want to read and owned, that you can set a default for at the start of adding (like as in: im gonna just add 30 books Ive read in this session, so i can just add those,....or I can just add 300 history books that I've read, own, or want to read, or are on my wishlist one way or another).

Honestly, I can take 2 days off and come up with an interface that isn't pure UGH!

Not fit for mass adding, period.

message 10: by Aerulan (new)

Aerulan | 1081 comments Ronald wrote: "Honestly, I wouldn't even know where to start about how crappy this 'add a book' system is.

I have 4000+ books that I own (and, obviously, I haven't read them all) and the interface of goodreads ..."

So I know it's not really that helpful to suggest a different site, but you might want to look into using LibraryThing.com too. They've got a lot more features aimed at collectors and people who are serious about their book records, rather than the social focus GR has. In particular LT has much better tools for adding books in bulk -LT has both tags ("shelves" on GR) and collections and you can set those to be default added as you search for books and add them to your account.
They also have a barcode scanner function and more detailed export/import options that you can use to import back to GR once you've added your books over there.

Dannie  *migraine in 5..4..3..* (Dannie_evans) | 856 comments Aerulan wrote: "Ronald wrote: "Honestly, I wouldn't even know where to start about how crappy this 'add a book' system is.

I have 4000+ books that I own (and, obviously, I haven't read them all) and the interfac..."

I thought about suggesting LibraryThing as well, but since the frustration included 7 of 35 books working, I figured the amount of books he would need to manually add would still be an issue.

A spreadsheet where he could put the isbns straight in and create a basic csv to import would possibly be less stressing for those books. But neither is going to be quick for the ones without an isbn. That is still going to require title search and edition search prior to finding out if the book is already on here. It doesn't immediately point to the protested manual entry as implied in the complaint.

However, while we are pointing out LT for collectors serious about their library:

I love that my books will not be altered by someone (or something) else who decides to update a book with their own version of data. Librarians can be wonderful, but if I go through and have my edition chosen and then the system updates and alters it, my record gets altered here. On LibraryThing, I still have my very carefully entered info. I can be certain the exact cover is used or the page count for the one I read doesn’t become the page count from another edition similar to the one I have.

message 12: by Aerulan (new)

Aerulan | 1081 comments Dannie *migraine in 5..4..3..* wrote: "I thought about suggesting LibraryThing as well, but since the frustration included 7 of 35 books working, I figured the amount of books he would need to manually add would still be an issue...."

True. I was just thinking, if you're going to have to put that kind of effort in regardless and there's a chance that you care about your data being correct and staying true to what you entered (which it sounds like could be the case for him), LT is absolutely the better choice. And depending on the books that were not working some may very well show up on LT, since GR's search capability can be pretty lackluster as well.
LibraryThing also does have a function to default apply tags when you add books, which GR doesn't (you'd have to batch edit afterwards), and which can be a huge help when you're adding in bulk. So that's at least one thing LT has that he asked for. And frankly I find LT's 'add books' function to be better designed than GR for easily adding a lot of books one after another.

I like GR don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't ever trust it as the exclusive repository of any data that really matters to me. And a record of what I own, especially if I have to enter most of it manually? Definitely counts for that. So it seemed worth a mention.