Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > Books - Nice and Simple

Comments (showing 1-29 of 29) (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Keith (new)

Keith | 10 comments I've looked through the list of todo's for the goodreads team. Wow good luck!

I've been using the site for a while and there is one obvious failing (for me).

I just want a simple list of books by an author....

Although not a patch on Goodreads (in options or style). Fantasticfiction.co.uk seems to have got this spot on. Simple, easy and quick.

Take a look at John Grisham for example

Fantastic fiction
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/g/j...

Goodreads
http://www.goodreads.com/author/list/...

One give me what I need, the other just makes me work hard to find what I need.

Sorry if this has already been posted / suggested. I had a quick browse through and couldn't find anything similar....

message 2: by ❂ Jennifer (new)

❂ Jennifer  (jennevans) | 978 comments I have to say, Fantastic Fiction does do a very nice job of organising the author's output.

message 3: by Keith (new)

Keith | 10 comments I wish I didn't have to turn to it every time I want to see a simple view of an authors books, as I really enjoy using Goodreads.

However at the moment I have to. It is simple and does the job perfectly.

message 4: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (Kristine_A) | 142 comments +1

message 5: by Keith (new)

Keith | 10 comments Stephen Fry is a good example...

Goodreads

Fantastic Fiction
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/f/s...

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2229 comments the problem with using Stephen Fry is that he is the valid narrator for the HP series, which is why his name shows up for those - so in order for your request to work - there would need to be a way to window author results by role (author, narrator, editor etc) - or have them broken out that way

message 7: by Keith (last edited Oct 02, 2012 07:00AM) (new)

Keith | 10 comments Fully agreed. It is an assumption but probably valid that people looking up authors would want the following information easily accessible...

1. Novels
2. Series (as a subset or separate)
3. Collections / Omnibus'
4. Other works - Short stories / audio etc.

Sticking with Stephens...

Goodread
http://www.goodreads.com/search?utf8=...

Fantastic Fiction
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/k/s...

message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2229 comments but with the currently ordering available - first published, popularlity, number of pages - I don't know if that proposed sorting is do-able and would likely require a major database overhaul - with re-programing of new headers, re-sorting all their current books etc...only knowing the basics of programing from working with my webmaster at work - that is a massive undertaking

Elizabeth (Alaska) Yes, I think the list of books by an author could be improved. I use the Fantasticfiction site, but I have found a lot of errors on it and seemingly no way to let anyone know they need to be fixed.

message 10: by Keith (new)

Keith | 10 comments Exactly, it is much more inferior than Goodreads, but strangely enough I always go back to it for this - what I feel - is a crucial element of a book reading site.

Elizabeth (Alaska) I also use it for authors born in a year, died in a year, or born in a specific country.

message 12: by Keith (new)

Keith | 10 comments Dee - I've just been looking around the site and two thoughts come to mind. Goodreads did such a fantastic job to combining editions (by librarians) to remove clutter. Something along these lines might be done.

Secondly the metadata section looks absolutely ideal for user involvement in defining Book type. Admittedly Goodreads mentions that they use this to help with their recommendations system. However, as they say data is power and with such a good metadata section I'd imagine the database would be robust enough.

message 13: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph | 3371 comments Well, there are work arounds.

For sTephen King if you want to go to his series you go to the series page:
http://www.goodreads.com/series/40750...

Or for a comprehensive list go to his author page/author listing page instead of a search page:
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...
or

message 14: by Keith (new)

Keith | 10 comments MrsJoseph - I think series are handled pretty well by Goodreads. What I'm trying to get at, in a clear easy to read format is, for example, the novels. Instead of the novels mixed with collections, omnibuses, short stories, plays, narrations etc...

This is the where it falls apart and it takes less clicks of the mouse to head over to fantasticfiction etc.

message 15: by willaful (new)

willaful | 826 comments Keith wrote: "MrsJoseph - I think series are handled pretty well by Goodreads. What I'm trying to get at, in a clear easy to read format is, for example, the novels. Instead of the novels mixed with collection..."

I think the series need improvement, but I agree this is a real need. The real plus for fantasticfiction for me is seeing an author's work in chronological order. Keep in mind that it's not always reliable, however. Of course GR isn't either, but we do have people always scouting out and changing errors.

message 16: by vicki_girl (last edited Oct 02, 2012 09:01AM) (new)

vicki_girl | 196 comments willaful wrote: "The real plus for fantasticfiction for me is seeing an author's work in chronological order. "

You can sort an author's books by date published. Is there something more specific you're looking for? (Just curious.)

I have thought recently that it would be nice to be able to mark an author's works as "primary" and "non-primary" similar to how the series page has primary works. Then a user could filter the list of books to show only primary works (like you can filter editions to show only ebooks). I would say novels, "canon" collections etc. would be primary, whereas anthologies contributed to or audiobooks narrated would be non-primary. I have no idea how feasible that would be though.

message 17: by Keith (last edited Oct 02, 2012 09:10AM) (new)

Keith | 10 comments Making it binary with primary / non-primary is nice but subjective. Less subjective (hopefully) would be categorizing by type. Novel, Collection etc.

The question is whether this sits above, alongside or completely separate from editions.

Personally, I see this as a fundamental interest as to have it integrated into the way people see an authors books when looking at an authors page. Not a filter etc.

Hey, I would say something like that though, as having started this discussion I obviously have an opinion about it :-)

message 18: by willaful (new)

willaful | 826 comments vicki_girl wrote: "willaful wrote: "The real plus for fantasticfiction for me is seeing an author's work in chronological order. "

You can sort an author's books by date published. Is there something more specific ..."

I never noticed that, thanks. Still, it takes 4 steps and then you wind up with kind of messy results.

Elizabeth (Alaska) willaful wrote: "I never noticed that, thanks. Still, it takes 4 steps and then you wind up with kind of messy results. "

Very Messy. I use this feature, and it's nice that it has both First Pub and Edition Pub. They sort in most recent order, though, and I would like the option for oldest on top.

message 20: by ❂ Jennifer (new)

❂ Jennifer  (jennevans) | 978 comments GR has mentioned several times recently that they are looking at re-designing a few pages throughout the site. It would be really brilliant if they would look at how people use other sites instead of goodreads for certain functions (fantasticfiction, fictfact, etc).

I'm certain this is no small job, but as a long term change, this organisation would be so useful for everyone; clean, clear and concise. :)

message 21: by Keith (new)

Keith | 10 comments There hasn't been a poll since January 6th, 2011, maybe this might be a good topic. I'd be really interested in the results...

message 22: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 2048 comments vicki_girl wrote: "I have thought recently that it would be nice to be able to mark an author's works as "primary" and "non-primary" similar to how the series page has primary works. ..."

I like that idea.

message 23: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Davie (kathydavie) Oh please, not fictfact. I hate their pages.

message 24: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 1157 comments Visually I don't like them. The colors are terrible. But they're well organized.

message 25: by willaful (new)

willaful | 826 comments Betsy wrote: "Visually I don't like them. The colors are terrible. But they're well organized."

They provide a really good service, but the site is really slow and the search function sucks. Though that's nothing new. I would really like to have GR provide that same service.

message 26: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Davie (kathydavie) I spend more time trying to figure out where info is on their pages and I still haven't figured out if/where to leave a review. Their information about series, short stories, etc is so Inaccurate yhat I always verify it somewhere else. Their only real purpose for me s in the notification of books being published of authors I follow.

message 27: by ❂ Jennifer (new)

❂ Jennifer  (jennevans) | 978 comments I agree, FictFact needs a LOT of work visually, but the way they organize their individual series pages, tied to a list of series you're reading, and the notifications of upcoming releases in your series (not just next month either - but as soon as a new release is announced) makes it easier to use and more functional than GR series pages.

message 28: by Keith (new)

Keith | 10 comments Goodreads is way ahead on both the other services mentioned. Imagine Goodreads great look and feel, all it's review services and countless other offerings combined with an easy to read author bibliography...

message 29: by ❂ Jennifer (new)

❂ Jennifer  (jennevans) | 978 comments Keith wrote: "Goodreads is way ahead on both the other services mentioned. Imagine Goodreads great look and feel, all it's review services and countless other offerings combined with an easy to read author bibl..."

I agree they are way ahead on aesthetics, but not on functionality. GR could find a lot of inspiration from both sites.