The Sword and Laser discussion

Cloud Atlas
This topic is about Cloud Atlas
Podcasts > S&L Podcast - #111 - Shhh! Science Fiction is Tired

Comments (showing 1-18 of 18) (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becca (new)

Becca (Becca_Canote) | 101 comments Is science fiction exhauasted? It has a had a hard century's work. We'll examine that, invite you to read some banned books, and smell Veronica's feet. Don't let that last one put you off. We also kick off Cloud Atlas.

http://www.swordandlaser.com/home/201...

Enjoy!

message 2: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob (robzak) | 5099 comments Mod
I loved the random segway into

(view spoiler)

Nice job tying that back into your plug for The Wind Through the Keyhole: A Dark Tower Novel Tom.

Good suggestion too. I enjoyed that book and I agree it could easily be read by people who haven't read the series and still be enjoyed.

message 3: by Bob (new)

Bob (Shack) | 103 comments Geat show guys. Tom`s audio kept cutting out during the podcast. Thought it was me at first but Veronica`s audio was consistantly fine.

message 4: by Kevin (new) - added it

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 1081 comments Thanks for the update on the Calendar. I'm just wondering will January's pick be a dictatorial source or it is going to be a vote?

message 5: by Kris (last edited Oct 02, 2012 09:25AM) (new) - added it

Kris (KVolk) | 797 comments Awesome audiocast!! Congrats to Mrs. Belmont's recent nuptials. I think Tom nailed the "tired" thing with scifi and I would add that when I hear people reference this I would challenge them to expand their reading circle and try new authors or just take a break.
Wow Tom is PM and Head of the Church! Cool!
LTS

Ezra Farber | 26 comments UGH! I'm tired of hearing what podcast presenters are drinking. Don't care. Please leave it out?

message 7: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (Tenebrous) | 377 comments Thanks for the foot update!

message 8: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new) - rated it 3 stars

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1506 comments Mod
Bob wrote: "Geat show guys. Tom`s audio kept cutting out during the podcast. Thought it was me at first but Veronica`s audio was consistantly fine."

No, it was Tom! :)

Hershel Shipman (Hershdawg) | 43 comments Tom has decent taste in IPAs.

message 10: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new) - rated it 3 stars

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1506 comments Mod
Hershel wrote: "Tom has decent taste in IPAs."

Hey! That was my wedding IPA too, you know! ;)

bookthump | 44 comments Ezra wrote: "UGH! I'm tired of hearing what podcast presenters are drinking. Don't care. Please leave it out?"

Sorry, Ezra, but I enjoy the "What Are You Drinking" segment because I get introduced to new beers just as the rest of the podcast introduces me to new books and authors. My vote cancels yours.

message 12: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (Shaeon) | 31 comments Just a note on Montevallo, Alabama - I live in Birmingham AL, and everyone does pronounce it "Mont-e-VALL-o", not "Mont-e-VAI-o". That was actually a funny moment for me - I was wondering where this city in Alabama was that I'd never heard of before, and right before Tom mentioned it, it straightened out in my head. :)
I didn't know about the Orr Park tree carvings, though. I'm going to have to make a day trip to Montevallo to check those out.

message 13: by Jane (new)

Jane Higginson | 163 comments Great podcast guys and congrats again mrs belmont!! I so agree with you veronica about felica's reading ability - is she a robot/cyborg?! I mean come on!! Im a slow reader which frustrates me and I have the same issue at night I will try and read and just instantly falla sleep, then felicia posts on goodreads how many books she's read and its like whoa!! so unfair!!
good explanation on tired sci-fi and yes tom did keep cutting in and out, sort your mic out again tom! we all say so and the belmont will tell you too! lol

Derek | 28 comments PLEASE don't get rid of the drinking segments. There are a lot of beer nerds listening...well I assume there are.

library_jim | 212 comments I like the "what are you drinking" bit. It's short, so even if you don't dig it it's not like it's half the podcast or anything. I'm not a big fan of the "alternate history" bit on the videos but I know a lot of people like it and it's short so no biggie.

message 16: by Keith (new)

Keith (KeithATC) | 432 comments I assume Mrs. Belmont functions in much the same way as Mrs. Peel. I expect Tom to start wearing a bowler.

And as a spirits writer/whisky & cocktail historian and writer, I say hear hear! I always want to know what someone is drinking.

message 17: by aldenoneil (new) - added it

aldenoneil | 1000 comments Keith wrote: "I always want to know what someone is drinking."

Coffee, since you mentioned it.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Is literary fiction tired?