Read by Theme discussion

The Almost Moon
This topic is about The Almost Moon
Book Discussions > The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tima (last edited Oct 01, 2012 08:02PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tima (tsunanisaurus) I'm starting off this month's theme by reading The Almost Moon. I just got it in the mail a few days ago and am about 30 or so pages in right now. I'm not sure what I'm expecting from this since I felt torn on deciding if I really liked her previous novels. (The Lovely Bones and Lucky).

Has anyone else read this? The opening sentence is: (view spoiler) and that certainly causes one to raise an eyebrow and keep reading..

message 2: by Amara, Group Creator (new)

Amara Tanith (AFTanith) | 733 comments Haven't read it, but wow does there seem to be quite a bit of backlash going on in the reviews of the book. I'll admit that the negative reviews alone have made me add this one to my "maybe-someday" to-read list--from reading some of the reviews, I'm starting to wonder if this might be one of those books that I'll love in spite of other people hating it. (Like what happened when my APLit class read Tess of the D'Urbervilles.)

Tima (tsunanisaurus) Yikes! I hadn't read the reviews on it yet but you were not exaggerating at all. People vehemently hate this book with more gusto than I thought possible for a book. Not sure I've come across more 1-star reviews for a popular author on this site.

It does make me even more curious about the book though. I find that, more often than not, I seem to like the ones detested by popular GR reviews. If you end up reading it, I'll be interested to hear what you think.

message 4: by Amara, Group Creator (new)

Amara Tanith (AFTanith) | 733 comments I've just requested it from the library and there seems to be plenty of copies available, so I'll likely be reading it soon.

message 5: by Alison (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) im gonna have to read this!

message 6: by Tima (last edited Oct 03, 2012 10:54PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tima (tsunanisaurus) I'm about halfway through it right now and have mixed feelings about the book. Some chapters have been really interesting, a very unique meltdown. Some chapters are a bit ridiculous (not in a good/interesting/relevant way). A very 50/50 read so far.

ETA: I finished it this afternoon and thought the ending was rather lackluster, as was most of the book. Though I will say that I think Sebold continues to have extremely unique stories with a slightly-below-average execution. It kept feeling like I was reading it for an English class proofread. Uncertain what my final thoughts are on the book, just yet.

message 7: by Caterina (new)

Caterina I liked this book... I like Sebold because she writes honestly. I read that she was establishing a publishing company (which may have launched by now)representing books on the dark side.

Tima (tsunanisaurus) Alison wrote: "im gonna have to read this!"

Yes! You should, Alison! :)