Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2009! > Amber's 50 Books in 2009

Comments Showing 1-50 of 77 (77 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Amber (rebmav) (last edited Feb 13, 2009 05:37AM) (new)

Amber (rebmav) (rebmav) 1) The Host A Novel by Stephenie Meyer The Host A Novel by Stephenie Meyer

message 2: by Amber (rebmav) (last edited Feb 13, 2009 05:36AM) (new)

Amber (rebmav) (rebmav) 2) Blind Fall A Novel by Christopher Rice Blind Fall A Novel by Christopher Rice

message 3: by Amber (rebmav) (last edited Feb 13, 2009 05:37AM) (new)

Amber (rebmav) (rebmav) 3) Once Bitten, Twice Shy by Jennifer Rardin Once Bitten, Twice Shy (Jaz Parks, Book 1) by Jennifer Rardin

message 4: by Amber (rebmav) (last edited Feb 13, 2009 05:37AM) (new)

Amber (rebmav) (rebmav) 4) Another One Bites the Dust by Jennifer Rardin Another One Bites the Dust (Jaz Parks, Book 2) by Jennifer Rardin

message 5: by Amber (rebmav) (last edited Feb 13, 2009 05:36AM) (new)

Amber (rebmav) (rebmav) 5) Biting the Bullet by Jennifer Rardin Biting the Bullet (Jaz Parks, Book 3) by Jennifer Rardin

message 6: by Amber (rebmav) (last edited Feb 13, 2009 05:36AM) (new)

Amber (rebmav) (rebmav) 6) Bitten to Death by Jennifer Rardin [image error]

message 7: by Amber (rebmav) (last edited Feb 13, 2009 05:35AM) (new)

Amber (rebmav) (rebmav) 7) Fault Lines by Nancy Huston Fault Lines by Nancy Huston

message 8: by Amber (rebmav) (last edited Feb 13, 2009 05:35AM) (new)

Amber (rebmav) (rebmav) 8) The Chosen Sin by Anya Bast The Chosen Sin by Anya Bast

message 9: by Amber (rebmav) (last edited Feb 13, 2009 05:38AM) (new)

Amber (rebmav) (rebmav) 9) The Road by Cormac McCarthy The Road by Cormac McCarthy

message 10: by Amber (rebmav) (new)

Amber (rebmav) (rebmav) 10) The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

message 11: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments Pin a watch on you for your first ten (that was a stretch...oh well)

message 12: by Amber (rebmav) (new)

Amber (rebmav) (rebmav) Mary Todd wrote: "Pin a watch on you for your first ten (that was a stretch...oh well)"

Thanks!

message 13: by Amber (rebmav) (new)

Amber (rebmav) (rebmav) 11) Uglies by Scott Westerfeld [image error]

message 14: by Deb (new)

Deb Amber what did you think of Uglies?

message 15: by Amber (rebmav) (new)

Amber (rebmav) (rebmav) Deb wrote: "Amber what did you think of Uglies?"

Hi Deb! It took me a while to get into it, but I enjoyed it and am looking forward to the next book in the series. It's definitely an easy read. I really enjoy fantasy books that create a different world...and the one that Westerfield writes about is original and interesting.

message 16: by Amber (rebmav) (new)

Amber (rebmav) (rebmav) Deb, if you get around to reading it...let me know what you think!

message 17: by Amber (rebmav) (new)

Amber (rebmav) (rebmav) 12) The Book Thief by Markus Zusak The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

message 18: by Deb (new)

Deb Hi Amber -- I will let you know when I read the Uglies. What did you think of The Book Thief? I really liked it.

message 19: by Laura (new)

Laura Lam (lauralam) I love the Uglies series :) Scott Westerfeld is a fun YA author. He also has a really good vampire book, Peeps.

message 20: by Amber (rebmav) (new)

Amber (rebmav) (rebmav) Laura, I will have to read Peeps! I love vampire books.

message 21: by Amber (rebmav) (new)

Amber (rebmav) (rebmav) Deb - I really, really liked The Book Thief. I've always been interested in books about the Holocaust, and this one was so different than others I have read. Sometimes stories that tell about someone's childhood bore me, but Liesel was soo interesting!

message 22: by Amber (rebmav) (new)

Amber (rebmav) (rebmav) 13) Outlander by Diana Gabaldon Outlander (Outlander, Book 1) by Diana Gabaldon

Although it took me about a hundred pages to get into it, I really enjoyed this book. It is the first of a series that mixes sci-fi, romance, historical fiction, and time travel. I like that it doesn't focus on the time traveling element. The characters are very interesting and well-developed. I am looking forward to the second book in the series.

message 23: by Amber (rebmav) (new)

Amber (rebmav) (rebmav) 14) American Wife A Novel by Curtis Sittenfeld American Wife A Novel by Curtis Sittenfeld

message 24: by Amber (rebmav) (new)

Amber (rebmav) (rebmav) 15) The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

message 25: by Amber (rebmav) (new)

Amber (rebmav) (rebmav) 16) Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

message 26: by Amber (rebmav) (new)

Amber (rebmav) (rebmav) 17) Whispers by Dean Koontz Whispers by Dean Koontz

My first Dean Koontz book. I really enjoyed it. It was a little slow at first, but developed into a well-written story that was engrossing.

message 27: by Amber (rebmav) (last edited Mar 28, 2009 01:48PM) (new)

Amber (rebmav) (rebmav) 18) Fledgling A Novel by Octavia E. Butler Fledgling A Novel by Octavia E. Butler

I really like vampire books, and really enjoyed this one. My one complaint was that it had so many spelling mistakes. I read the 1st edition, so hopefully they were fixed. After reading it...I was hoping there was a sequel. Sadly, the author passed away in 2006. Just a year after Fledgling was published.

message 28: by Amber (rebmav) (new)

Amber (rebmav) (rebmav) 19) The Shack by William P. Young The Shack by William P. Young

I grew up in Christianity...and I liked this as Fiction...but I'm not sure what to think of the many theological ideas in the story. I don't believe they're all accurate or Bible-based...but I liked some of the ideas and explanations the author posed.

message 29: by Amber (rebmav) (new)

Amber (rebmav) (rebmav) 20) The Alchemyst by Michael Scott The Alchemyst (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel) by Michael Scott

I'm looking forward to reading the next one in the series.

message 30: by Amber (rebmav) (new)

Amber (rebmav) (rebmav) 21) Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

I am not sure what to think about this book right now! I think the length of the book (over 500 pages) was quite unnecessary.

message 31: by Amber (rebmav) (new)

Amber (rebmav) (rebmav) 22) The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows [image error]

I loved this book!

message 32: by Amber (rebmav) (last edited Apr 16, 2009 01:51PM) (new)

Amber (rebmav) (rebmav) 23) The Reader by Bernhard Schlink The Reader by Bernhard Schlink

I really enjoyed this book. The author didn't add a bunch of fluff or hard words to sift through to get to the story.

message 33: by Amber (rebmav) (last edited Apr 17, 2009 05:08AM) (new)

Amber (rebmav) (rebmav) 24) The Gathering by Anne Enright The Gathering by Anne Enright

message 34: by Amber (rebmav) (new)

Amber (rebmav) (rebmav) 25) Tipping the Velvet by Sarah Waters

Tipping the Velvet by Sarah Waters

message 35: by Mary Todd (new)

message 36: by Amber (rebmav) (new)

Amber (rebmav) (rebmav) 26) Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn & David Levithan Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn

I loved this book...really cute and easy read!

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Amber (rebmav) wrote: "3) Once Bitten, Twice Shy by Jennifer Rardin Once Bitten, Twice Shy (Jaz Parks, Book 1) by Jennifer Rardin"

that looks really good, what did you think of it? what's it about?

message 38: by Amber (rebmav) (new)

Amber (rebmav) (rebmav) Bells wrote: "Amber (rebmav) wrote: "3) Once Bitten, Twice Shy by Jennifer Rardin Once Bitten, Twice Shy (Jaz Parks, Book 1) by Jennifer Rardin"

that looks really good, what did you think of it? what's it about?"

It's the first book in a series about a female assassin that works for the CIA. I would call it vampire chick-lit. I have read 4 out of 5 in the series. I kept waiting for the books to get better...because I really like the story idea. I don't know whether I'll read the 5th book in the series. Let me know what you think if you do read it!!

message 39: by Amber (rebmav) (new)

Amber (rebmav) (rebmav) 27) Angels & Demons by Dan Brown Angels & Demons by Dan Brown

I really liked this 1st book in the Robert Langdon series by Dan Brown. I actually read The Davinci Code first. I'm really looking forward to the movie!!!

message 40: by Amber (rebmav) (new)

Amber (rebmav) (rebmav) 28) Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan

message 41: by Amber (rebmav) (new)

Amber (rebmav) (rebmav) 29) Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse Southern Vampire Mystery, Book 1) by Charlaine Harris

message 42: by Liz (new)

Liz (hissheep) Amber (rebmav) wrote: "27) Angels & Demons by Dan Brown Angels & Demons by Dan Brown

I really liked this 1st book in the Robert Langdon series by Dan Brown. I actually read The Davinci Code first. I'm ..."

I too read the "DaVinci Code" first but preferred "Angels and Demons". I don't know about the movie - the book was tense enough; I might have to hide behind a pillow, LOL!

message 43: by Amber (rebmav) (new)

Amber (rebmav) (rebmav) Liz wrote: "Amber (rebmav) wrote: "27) Angels & Demons by Dan Brown Angels & Demons by Dan Brown

I really liked this 1st book in the Robert Langdon series by Dan Brown. I actually read The Davi..."

Liz - I know what you mean about being tense - Angels & Demons is definitely darker than Davinci Code!! Even though I already know what's going to happen, I will probably be gripping my chair when I watch the movie! When you see it, let me know what you think!

message 44: by Amber (rebmav) (new)

Amber (rebmav) (rebmav) 30) Living Dead in Dallas by Charlaine Harris Living Dead in Dallas (Sookie Stackhouse, #2) by Charlaine Harris

I think I'm addicted already....

such a fast, light read that contains vampires, other paranormal creatures, romance, mystery, suspense and humor.

message 45: by Amber (rebmav) (new)

Amber (rebmav) (rebmav) 31) Queen of Babble by Meg Cabot Queen of Babble (Queen of Babble, Book 1) by Meg Cabot

My first book by Meg Cabot. I really liked it! I don't typically read chick-lit, but enjoyed this light read that had an interesting story and characters that I grew to like.

message 46: by Amber (rebmav) (new)

Amber (rebmav) (rebmav) 32) Queen of Babble in the Big City by Meg Cabot Queen of Babble in the Big City (Queen of Babble, Book 2) by Meg Cabot

So...I went and got this book, 2nd in the series for Queen of Babble, and read it in 2 days. I don't usually read a book that fast, especially since I read more than one book at a time. I really like this series, and wish I had picked up the 3rd as well. I will have to make another trip to the library soon!

message 47: by Amber (rebmav) (new)

Amber (rebmav) (rebmav) 33) Club Dead by Charlaine Harris Club Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #3) by Charlaine Harris

I've now read the 3rd book in the Sookie Stackhouse novels, and I REALLY like them!

message 48: by Amber (rebmav) (new)

Amber (rebmav) (rebmav) 34) Queen of Babble Gets Hitched by Meg Cabot Queen of Babble Gets Hitched (Queen of Babble, Book 3) by Meg Cabot

I really liked this 3rd (and last) book of the series...and hope that there may be more in the future!

message 49: by Amber (rebmav) (new)

Amber (rebmav) (rebmav) 35) Dead to the World by Charlaine Harris Dead to the World (Sookie Stackhouse, #4) by Charlaine Harris

I <3 me some Eric!

message 50: by Amber (rebmav) (new)

Amber (rebmav) (rebmav) 36) A Certain Slant of Light by Laura Whitcomb A Certain Slant of Light by Laura Whitcomb

« previous 1