Amazon Kindle discussion

Kindle 2

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann | 83 comments I received the e-mail this morning, the Kindle 2 will be released soon. I can't afford to buy the new model, is anyone else going to?

message 2: by Catherine (new)

Catherine I'm keeping Kindle 1. Kindle 2 has no SD chip and that's a deal-breaker for me. I keep different libraries (fiction, non-fiction, magazines) on SD chips, so as not to clutter the Kindle TOC. When I want to change libraries, I'm not always near a computer. The text-to-speech feature of the Kindle 2 is nice, but I doubt I would use it much. Also, I just bought a Noreve cover, and it won't fit the new Kindle, which doesn't come with a cover at all.

Catherine M. Wilson
http://www.whenwomenwerewarriors.com/

message 3: by Angelica (new)

Angelica (angelica221) I haven't done much reading on it yet, but so far, the Kindle 2 doesn't have super bells and whistles that would tempt me to get rid of the first one. Like you Catherine I keep a lot of my info on SD chips. I'm curious to check out that cover. I really like the M-Edge cover I have, but the snobby side of me is really considering an Oberon cover. OMG those are gorgeous and they just added new designs! I just can't rationalize the price.

message 4: by Belynda (new)

Belynda (mominatrix) | 8 comments I'm on the waitlist for a Kindle, having not bought the original. I'm not worried about the SD card really, but it's probably because I just don't know what I'm missing. I love that it's going to be slim and light, and that the storage room has almost quadrupled. I'm pretty pumped for it! We're going to do a whole unboxing on my blog in case anyone's interested... http://www.dimestoreromance.com

Techy-nerd, out :)

message 5: by Angelica (new)

Angelica (angelica221) A whole unboxing!!! That is too funny!!! Update us and let us know when you do that!!!! Yes, it is quite slim. Don't be surprised if it changes how you read.

message 6: by Belynda (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:26AM) (new)

Belynda (mominatrix) | 8 comments Petunia wrote: "A whole unboxing!!! That is too funny!!! Update us and let us know when you do that!!!! Yes, it is quite slim. Don't be surprised if it changes how you read."

Definitely will! If you're on twitter, I post every blog update, but I'll be sure to remember to post it back here too.

I'm expecting it to change the amount I read for sure. I'm always so busy that I don't go buy books, order them online, etc. If it's on-demand, then I can order a book I want when someone suggests it, and get into it "in the moment". This of course means I'm never getting anything done again!!

I'm really excited about being able to read first chapters. I'm finicky sometimes.. for instance I read the first chapter of "The Shack" on NYT First Chapters.. I had heard such great things about it.. but read it and was sort of "meh". The ability to "try before you buy" is really attractive :)

message 7: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Belynda wrote: I'm really excited about being able to read first chapters.

The sample feature is a biggie to me. They usually give you much more than "Search Inside the Book" does. It's enough that I figure if I'm still reading at the end of the sample, I'll want to read it all. Then I just hit the buy button and I'm there!

Better than just a sample, have I mentioned recently that I'm giving away the whole first book of my trilogy, When Women Were Warriors? I'll email a .prc file to anyone who requests one. It's a great way to introduce people to my work, and Kindle made it easy.

Catherine M. Wilson
http://www.whenwomenwerewarriors.com

message 8: by Angelica (new)

Angelica (angelica221) I love the samples on Kindle... They usually stop you right at the part you are into it and you have to buy it. It really has changed the way I read.

message 9: by Belynda (new)

Belynda (mominatrix) | 8 comments Petunia wrote: "I love the samples on Kindle... They usually stop you right at the part you are into it and you have to buy it. It really has changed the way I read."

It's the drug-dealer approach! They get you hooked for free, then you have to pay to keep going! Damn those clever marketing gurus!

message 10: by tomlinton (new)

tomlinton (thomasee) | 8 comments Samples vary
For non-fiction
the usual grabber is
I'm outlining and notating
the sample
Wise fiction publishers
give you just enough
to want to know
the whole story
But a lot of publishers
screw it up
with frontispiece material
They're the ones
who probably wonder
why their e-sales
are tanking
:>)

message 11: by Mike (last edited Feb 15, 2009 07:55PM) (new)

Mike (mikeo) My family pitched in and bought me a Kindle for my birthday and it happened to be at the time Amazon was releasing K2 so that's what I am getting at the end of the month. I have been doing alot of research on K1 vs K2. I have some general comments and questions.

1) I don't think I would have ever spent $359 on K2 myself during these tough economic times...just doesn't seem right. Amazon should have had some type of price drop just for the sake of the economy.

2) I read that the battery needs to be replaced by Amazon whereby we will have to ship it back to them, battery cost $59, and who knows how much in shipping and turnaround transit time....this concerns me.

3) Trust me, I am excited to try this new gadget but I do not want to be at the mercy of Amazon either. I like the idea that I will be able to download a book at my fingertips instead of driving over to Borders or waiting for it to deliver by mail but I won't be happy if the book(s) I want aren't available in Kindle edition at the same time the hardcover is out or worst case not in Kindle edition at all. Does anybody know how this works? Example, I am very excited to read Brian Freeman's new novel IN THE DARK on 3/31/09. This is a book that I want to start on 3/31 and if Amazon doesn't have it in Kindle edition on that day then I won't be happy. I see on their website that you can click on a link that reads I WANT TO READ THIS BOOK ON MY KINDLE and when you do then it reads THANK YOU, WE WILL LET THE PUBLISHER KNOW. Brian Freeman is one of my favorite authors but I know he is not on the level of the big author names yet. Will I be disappointed on 3/31? I don't need to know what is happening behind-the-scenes with Amazon versus the publishers....as far as I am concerned if Amazon has the hardcover then I expect them to have the Kindle edition on release day (isn't that the point?).

4) How does the Kindle work for internet? I know about Wikipedia and the Kindle store but will K2 give me a broader wireless internet surfing option even if it is only a basic text format? This could be a benefit when I am out and about and need to look something up.

5) I am a bit concerned on how this will work for me in low light? I know the Kindle doesn't come with a backlight because of shortened battery power and glare in sunlight but maybe it should at least be an option for the reader to choose, you know? I know that nobody has a K2 yet but maybe the K1 users can comment?

6) The Text to Voice option was cool to hear about because it is actually something I have discussed with some of my reading buddies whereby I said would it be cool to have a device that reads the book to you. My vision is karakoke-like in which I just get lazy for brief spurts and I want to look at the words but have a voice read to me and highlight the words as we go along. Still cool for the car ride into work as I have been an audiobook person for awhile and it usually is a book other than the one I am reading. I don't know if the computer voice will be too robotic although I hear it is not as bad as we might think and I like the male vs female option. Too bad it just can't be the audiobook version but I know that would really infringe on the audiobook rights and there is enough of that stuff flying around the net right now for K2.

7) Too bad Amazon doesn't put some interactive stuff into the Kindle like quizzes from the book whereby it tests the reader's comprehension and rates the reader for comparison to other readers. It could be true-false/multiple choice questions, voice questions like WHO SAID THIS, and maybe even some alternative endings (if a brave author would want to go there...maybe for some extra $$).

8) Will I need one of the cases that I see advertised or do you think most people read holding only the device? I understand that for protection I will want a case but I am talking more about the one that holds the kindle in a book-like case.

9) Last but not least, what should be the first book I read on this new device that may change my life? There are no new releases that I am planning to read the last week of February? The Brian Freeman novel is end of March and I know that I will want to jump right into something on the day I receive it. Any suggestions for that first impactful Kindle read? I do not have all my read books from the past years on this website yet...close to 125 so there is alot I have read other than what you see in my profile. I will get there someday.

Thanks,
Mike

message 12: by Connie (new)

Connie | 15 comments Hi Mike - I have had my Kindle for 3 months now, ordered the K2 and will be giving my K1 to my husband. I absolutely love the Kindle but you do bring up many valid concerns. There is a fantastic message board devoted entirely to Kindle - www.kindleboards.com - where most of your questions can be answered by knowledgable people, many of whom have had their Kindles since intro in late 2007.

I can probably answer a few:

#3. If Amazon does not show the book as being available on Kindle upon the book's release, it probably will not be available on that date. However, if enough people click that button, you might be in luck. Hit Kindleboards.com, post your message about that book, and you can get lots of other people to request the Kindle version.

4. I don't find the Kindle very useful for web browsing and don't know of many people who do.

5. You will need supplemental light in low light situations. There are all kinds of portable lights that work great with the Kindle. I have an M-Edge leather cover for my Kindle and purchased the M-Edge light that fits right into the cover so I never have to attach and detach it. Amazon has plenty of M-Edge covers for sale and also sells the light. There are tons of other, inexpensive lighting options to choose from as well. Again - kindleboards.com is a great source of info on this.

6. I agree with you entirely. I am a huge audiobook fan and really do not know what to expect from the Kindle "voice".

7. Some very popular cases include those made by M-Edge and Oberon. (again - Kindleboards for more info)

8. What a GREAT question. Maybe try Stephen King's new novella called UR. It's about a Kindle and only available in Kindle version. (Not much of a story, however, IMO)

Enjoy!

Connie

message 13: by Mike (new)

Mike (mikeo) Connie - Thanks for the info! I will check out the boards to see what else I can find out.

-Mike

message 14: by Michael (new)

Michael | 5 comments Just found thousands of free books you can download directly from the Kindle.

www.mobileread.com/mobiguide

Go to your Kindle web browser (not on your computer) and type in the above URL. It will install what looks like a book on your Kindle. Then, you can go in and search by alphabet. Mostly classics, but all free!

message 15: by Mike (new)

Mike (mikeo) My K2 has shipped....can't wait to get it. I didn't think I was going to get it until mid March so I didn't order a case yet as I wanted to research my options. Oh well, had to order the Amazon one for now. Don't think I can go too wrong with it although I know alot of people like other mfgs.

Thanks,
Mike

message 16: by John (new)

John (JohnCWF) | 3 comments Got the 'Welcome" email from Amazon this morning. My K2 has shipped. YEAH!

It'll be a long two days till it arrives......

message 17: by Allison Diegel (new)

Allison Diegel | 2 comments mine shipped this morning too.... i am on "kindle watch" as my husband calls it... LOL i am just giddy with excitment!!

message 18: by Michael (new)

Michael | 5 comments Kindle 2 arriving tomorrow! Cool!

message 19: by John (new)

John (JohnCWF) | 3 comments Michael wrote: "Kindle 2 arriving tomorrow! Cool!"

Amazon sez mine will be delivered on the 25th. But the UPS tracking site says 'on time delivery 02/24/09"!
I never should have looked :-)

message 20: by Michael (new)

Michael | 5 comments Really glad I got the new Kindle 2! I've had the Kindle since the first day it was released.

The things that I really like about the new one is that the 16 grayscales really make a difference (the original had 4). It makes a big difference with pictures and a slight difference with text.

Perhaps the thing I'm most excited about is with newspapers and magazines. Now, you can easily jump from article to article. They've really cleaned up the interface a lot. Didn't even know this change was coming.

message 21: by Sarah Jane (new)

Sarah Jane | 14 comments Could not stop myself from buying a Kindle 2! I was hoping to wait for the reviews from new users...but I cannot stand the wait. I ordered mine and it will be here Friday. I hear good things so far.

message 22: by Connie (new)

Connie | 15 comments In case any of you have had difficulty finding Kindle versions of books on the goodreads website (as I did), I recently received a message from customer service advising that if you search by ASIN number (kindle version of ISBN), the Kindle version will come up.

Congrats to you new K2 owners! Mine is on its way but Super Saver shipping (and all the K2 reviews) is making the wait almost unbearable!

message 23: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin Crossland (kirstincrossland) | 6 comments The K2 arrived yesterday for me and not too soon. I gave K1 to my mother this weekend and was going through withdrawal!

I am enjoying K2 MORE than the K1 and I never thought that was possible!!

message 24: by Heather (new)

Heather | 3 comments I am expecting my K2 on Monday. So what do you think of it so far. Is it a lot better and worth the splurge? I just can't stand the wait!!!

message 25: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin Crossland (kirstincrossland) | 6 comments Heather, for me if was definitely worth it! The display is crisper and I like the slimmer design - more comfortable to hold! The 5 way controller takes a bit of getting used to but once you do, its natural. and no more accidental page turns when my cat is headbutting me in bed for attention. :)

message 26: by Heather (new)

Heather | 3 comments Kirsten

Thanks! I am anxiously awaiting mine and was sooo curious about the changes! Thanks again!

message 27: by Michael (new)

Michael | 5 comments Check out these covers:

www.oberondesign.com

message 28: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin Crossland (kirstincrossland) | 6 comments Mike - I had the Tree of Life design for my K1 but it went to my mom with the K1 when my K2 arrived. Beautiful work!! I've pre-ordered River Garden in red for the K2 and am anxiously awaiting its arrival. Oberon does fabulous work and they are even more beautiful in person. :)

message 29: by Cillasi (new)

Cillasi | 3 comments Wow, the last time I was on these boards you guys weren't even talking about the Kindle. I've had my kindle since June 2008 and you won't find me going anywhere without it.

I got rid of the Amazon cover within 3 months. Got the red leather M-edge cover and was quite satisfied with that, but once Oberon came out with the Roof of the World cover, I couldn't resist anymore. The quality is outstanding. I have a feeling I'll be looking for uses for this cover long after the Kindle has faded into obsolescence.

There are lots of sources for free books. Amazon gets quite a few, but recently put up a bunch of free public domain books which muddy the waters. TIP: type -domain in the search bar, then change the sort order to low to high to see the featured books.

Another easy way to find books on Amazon is to use Jungle-search.com. It is an advanced search engine for amazon.com. They've just added a new option that will notify you by e-mail whenever Amazon adds another free book (other than public domain).

As for more free books, there is mobileread, as someone already mentioned, and also feedbooks.com. Feedbooks can be used like mobileread - download their catalog to your kindle and then download books from the catalog. Don't forget Creative Commons either. For sci-fi fans, there's free sci-fi at http://www.baen.com/library/. More recently, DelRey has put up some free books at their site called Suvudu.com. Tor.com occasionally has a free book or two.

Here's a new one: http://kindleformatting.com/ebookweek... These books will only be available until March 14, so grab them quick. There's 28 of them, but they cover a lot of genres so you probably won't be interested in some of them. I got the link from here:

http://booksontheknob.blogspot.com/ and they seem to keep current with where free books can be found.

Have fun Kindling! There are lots of cool resources out there for us!

message 30: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin Crossland (kirstincrossland) | 6 comments Thanks Cillasi!!