Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > Makeup!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 120 (120 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Women with lots of makeup or women with no makeup? At what age should girls start wearing makeup? Aren't those pageant girls with lots of makeup on at a young age downright CREEPY? Women, what are your thoughts on makeup and its place in the world?

No, I'm not looking for tips...I was reading that thread in which Sally mentioned lipstick and it popped in my head that maybe some of you actually wore makeup sometime. My wife, by the way, wears very little makeup. I'm almost thrown when she does wear it because she doesn't look normal. However, as I have been married for close to fifteen years, I have learned to avoid saying things like "you don't look normal" when my wife wears makeup, thank you very much:)

message 2: by Lori (last edited Feb 10, 2009 02:57AM) (new)

Lori None, except occasionally a Burt's Bee lip gloss.

In my 20s I wore light make-up. Wouldn't leave the house without mascara.

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) My daughter is 8 and I won't let her wear any in public. She loves it and plays with it at home. Her father and me try to tell her how much prettier she is without it. I worn a little make up years ago, mainly for work and dates with hubby but not all the time.
Not sure at what age I should allow my daughter to wear it. If I had my way, never! but maybe high school would be ok.

message 4: by Kevin (last edited Feb 10, 2009 08:35AM) (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments make-up on pre-teens and junior high age girls is a part of the current culture we live in. i don't like it. they are trying to be women too fast and kids now days miss most of their childhood. i have seen really young girls wearing shorts and sweats with words like "hot stuff" or "baby doll" written across the back of them. and people wonder why we sink into more and more problems relating to sex today. even today my daughter is most beautiful when i just see her face as it was when she was born.

on a related note: last night i saw my daughters wedding dress for the first time. i got a huge lump in my throat and cried a bit. man, where did the radio flyer wagon go....

message 5: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
"as I have been married for close to fifteen years, I have learned to avoid saying things like "you don't look normal" when my wife wears makeup, thank you very much"

Awesome. I'm glad you learned that, RA. :D I laughed out loud for a while.

After our wedding I brought only a couple of items of makeup with me on our honeymoon, and told Sweeeter I was going on a makeup vacation. He was actually thrilled with the idea. It took me a while to get back into any sort of makeup habit/routine when we returned home.
I do usually spend time putting some on nowadays, however. At 730 am without it I look rather dead.

message 6: by Julie (new)

Julie | 568 comments I do wear makeup. Not tons, but definitly some everyday. I just think it is fun, and there are so many pretty colors! I like playing around with it.
Just like a little kid.

message 7: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments I only wear makeup when I'm working or going out for the evening (or to do serious shopping), but most of the time none, nadda, zip.

I hate the way it feels on my face (although I like how it looks), and when I actually get a tan on an off-summer I pretty much forego any. I've always been a bit of a tomboy tho. My sister on the other hand is girly-girly-girly and always wears it. Like you Julie, she loves playing with it, kinda like fingerpaints.

I think high school is most appropriate, but when my daughter hits 13 we'll prolly fight about it. She's 7 & already thinks she's 16. I do think we're having to fight against this in our culture, but I'm not sure it's a trend that will slow down much. I mean, it's been sliding since the 1900's (showing ankles, my goodness!) and hasn't stopped.

But... okay, here's a tricky subject - is it really all the environment? My daughter has been a little, uh, exhibitionist since she was teeny. It's very disconcerting, and we've had to really try to teach her that it's not appropriate to, say, moon my parents while watching Survivor or streak through the house while company is over. It's like it's in her genes... and honestly, if I hadn't been brought up in an anal-retentive-conservative household, I might have been the same way. So, what is driving it?

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

message 9: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments sherrie - some people show their ass literally and some figuratively

message 10: by Sally, la reina (new)

Oh MOntambo - that was so scary and sad. I really felt for Anna Nicole. She was messed up big time there at the end.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

That's for sure. It haunts me.

Say no to drugs! And clown makeup.

message 12: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments A-freakin-men!

message 13: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Sherrie, my kids moon each other all the time. They find it very entertaining. Once I was in the backyard and my then-six year old pressed his ass cheeks against the upstairs window for everyone in the yard to see.

message 14: by Lori (new)

Lori Yeah, Jake used to go around naked all the time. That stopped as soon as he started hitting puberty!

message 15: by Sally, la reina (new)

I was a very naked child. Neighbors all have various "naked Sally" stories about me. Sweeter heard many at our wedding.

message 16: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments RFLMAO! RA now that would have been something to see! Okay, so I guess maybe my uptight upbringing gave me a skewed view of the world. I'm so glad to hear that my kid is just as maladjusted as the rest of the world. (And, she's got very cute ass cheeks) :D

message 17: by Sally, la reina (new)

duly noted.

message 18: by Kevin (last edited Feb 10, 2009 03:12PM) (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i told my eldest son that KISS was the **** back in my day. i told him that even when they were introduced it went something like this:

YOU WANTED THE BEST AND YOU GOT IT. THE HOTTEST BAND IN THE LAND........KISS!!!!

he thought they were a bunch of clowns until i found a huge stack of Circus mags and they were on the cover of like 75% of them

message 19: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments You know, I only saw them once as a kid on tv and I thought they were a kids group (akin to The Wiggles). Mostly cause they had a 'cute puppy' boy in the band. Oh, silly naive girl.

message 20: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments So, the cat's eye look: yay or nay?

[image error]

I'm for it, as long as it doesn't start looking like Halloween makeup.

message 21: by Heidi (last edited Oct 12, 2011 12:03PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I like the make up look on a gal... I suspect that's partly a Southern thing. Women around here don't leave the house without their lipstick (or gloss, as the case may be). I almost never leave the house without at least putting on a bit of gloss and running my concealer, foundation, & bronzer brushes over my face... just a quick touch up.

I wear make up every once in a while, but I love doing make-up makeovers on other people more than anything. I don't know why I find it so, but it's very relaxing to apply it to someone else's face... and when someone else is applying my make-up for me? Oh hell, I'm lucky if I can stay awake.

I'm not suggesting drag queen makeup for everyday wear, but drag queen make up for a drag show can be jaw-dropping amazingly artful and creative sometimes.

I wear it on days when I know I'll have a meeting with people outside my office or I'm going out or to a special event like a wedding or a birthday celebration or an engagement party. I wear make up to funerals, too... just no mascara or heavy eye-liner. :) I've learned that lesson several times over.

I have naturally dark circles around my eyes, though. When I don't wear make-up, my boss asks me if I'm sick. So basically, I've gone from wearing make-up every day so she wouldn't ask me that to "Meh... no. I'm not sick. You ask me this every time and it's always 'I'm not wearing any makeup.'"

message 22: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11604 comments For a face shaped like the model's, yea.

For a face shaped like Charlie Brown's, nay.

message 23: by Barb (new)

Barb Historically, I've not been a wearer of make-up. Lately though, I've been wearing it on days where I know I'm going somewhere other than dropping the kid off at school, or my kettlebell class. I like the cat's eye look, but don't go to the extent of doing it on myself. I do use liner up there, but I don't extend it out that far, or apply it in that thick of a line.

message 24: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments I do a nice, subtle charcoal grey cat's eye when I have the time (now that they have developed gel liner you can apply with a brush, it's pretty easy) and when I want to feel extra-confident. Most of the time, I wear makeup to work, but it only takes about 10 minutes. Moisturizer, concealer, blush, eyeshadow, mascara. I have natural under eye circles too Heidi, so I get the same thing from people if I don't wear makeup.

I love Halloween because I get to do crazy, complicated makeup for myself and my friends. I do pre-application sketches and everything.

message 25: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24070 comments Mod
Amber wrote: "So, the cat's eye look: yay or nay?
"

Hate it. Ridiculous.

message 26: by Carol (new)

Carol | 1679 comments under-eye circles, bleh. Are you tired? You look tired.

message 27: by Cheri (last edited Oct 12, 2011 09:02PM) (new)

Cheri | 795 comments Ever notice how very red lipstick on very young (Jon Benet) or very old (Bette Davis) women creeps you out? To understand why, read: The Human Animal: A Personal View of the Human Species
Spoiler! Red lipstick is for fertile females. This book also helps explain why your teenagers go crazy.

message 28: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

It kind of creeps me out on Gwen Stefani too.

message 29: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I think red lipstick is pretty hard to pull off. Mischa Barton does it well here:
[image error]

On blond women it can just be overwhelming.

message 30: by Barb (new)

Barb I agree. Red lipstick is tricky. Some women are able to wear it well, but most ... not so much. I tend to prefer a more dramatic eye, and more subtle lips.

message 31: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "It kind of creeps me out on Gwen Stefani too."

I can't really picture Gwen Stefani without it.

message 32: by Barb (new)

Barb Gwen with little or no makeup on:

Gwen wearing the "natural" look ... but she overcompenstated with her hair:
[image error]

message 33: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments She's pretty much gorgeous no matter what you put on her (or don't).

message 34: by Barb (new)

Barb I like:

[image error]

[image error]

message 35: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I do red lipstick every so often. The general rule is either play up the eyes or the lips, but not both... so if I wear red lipstick, I go light on the makeup everywhere else.

I did it for a toga party a few years back - I was toga Dorothy. :)

[image error]

[image error]

[image error]

message 36: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "I think red lipstick is pretty hard to pull off. Mischa Barton does it well here:
[image error]

On blond women it can just ..."

That picture must have been taken a while ago. She's not looking quite so nice lately, from what I've seen.

message 37: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I only wear makeup on stage or for very special events, and even then it is minimal - mostly foundation to keep from looking shiny under the lights.
I have no clue how to put on eye makeup, and I don't like lipstick.

message 38: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Women with coloring like Penelope Cruz can pull off red.

I don't think these three are pulling it off

Women with enormous lips or enormous mouths, like Anne Hathaway or Angelina Jolie, I also would advise to stay away from red lipstick. Unless your skin is brown, or darker than brown.

Angela~twistedmind~ (twistedmind) | 540 comments I hardly ever wear makeup during the week.......only for the occasional appt. I wear it sometimes on the weekends. Usually only when Mr. Angela and I are going somewhere, though. I usually draw attention to my eyes since I have next to no lips to begin with. I usually just wear a gloss.

message 40: by Sally, la reina (new)

Anne Hathaway ... shiver.

message 41: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

::shudder::

message 42: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1058 comments I sometimes feel like a clown if I’m wearing makeup. I avoid red lipstick and tend to stick to a shade as close to my natural lip colour as possible. Actually, I like my makeup to look like as if I’m not wearing any. I do wear mascara often, because my eyelashes are blonde.

message 43: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I never wear red lipstick. I like a stain, fairly sheer, or a nude-ish, or a mauve-ish, or a gloss. Shades in the raisin family, but lighter than raisin, are good for me. I don't bother with mascara because my lashes are dark and very long. I need a little cheek color otherwise I look washed out.

message 44: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments I'm ghostly pale and have reddish hair, so red lipstick makes me look like Bozo. I only own a few tubes of red for costumes. I usually stick to peachy or berry colors, and generally sheer.

message 45: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7068 comments Penelope Cruz makes me all melty inside.

message 46: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Cynthia wrote: "Penelope Cruz makes me all melty inside."

She is rather lovely. And that accent! Did you see Vicky Christina Barcelona? Wow.

Angela~twistedmind~ (twistedmind) | 540 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "I never wear red lipstick. I like a stain, fairly sheer, or a nude-ish, or a mauve-ish, or a gloss. Shades in the raisin family, but lighter than raisin, are good for me. I don't bother with mas..."

I'm so jealous! I have nearly black hair, very dark eyebrows and hazel eyes with brown so dark it totally dominates even though they have more green than brown. I have long eyelashes. Long blondish eyelashes. :/
I have to use mascara so the length will be visible. Then, when I have mascara on, they are so long that I am accused of wearing fake lashes and lying about it. I would love my lashes to be dark.

message 48: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7068 comments Amber wrote: "Cynthia wrote: "Penelope Cruz makes me all melty inside."

She is rather lovely. And that accent! Did you see Vicky Christina Barcelona? Wow."

Yes--one of her best. The cokehead one with Johnny Depp is a good look at her as a very young acress.

message 49: by Jammies (new)

Jammies I love makeup, and when I'm getting dressed up, I like to go all out, but my daily makeup is very simple--matte nude lipstick, eyeliner, tinted moisturizer and finishing powder.

message 50: by Barb (new)

Barb I'm fond of tinted lip balms. The colour is subtle, and it feels nice on my lips.

« previous 1 3