Guilty Pleasures discussion

Men writing about lesbians

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charles (new)

Charles | 4 comments Hi, we've done women writing about gay men (and what a good job they usually do of it!), but I was wondering if any of you had come across any novels (literary, genre, erotic) written by men (not necessarily gay) about lesbians. I'm sure there must be some, but I can't think of any at all.

message 2: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 1 comments I'm just starting Chroma Shift: Assassin's Treaty by Kevin Grubb. I'll let you know how he does with it.

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Frankfort | 29 comments I ordered a book by John Bowen called "The Girls: A Story of Village Life" Jan and Sue are out lovers in a Cotswold community. Publishers Weekly called it "An unqualified delight."

message 4: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (greendragon06) | 7 comments There are some erotica stories I've read that were about lesbians written by men, but they were amatuer stories that I can't put a name to, some of which wasn't so good, but some of it was good.
I find that some of the best lesbian stories I have read are by some of my ftm friends...you all can debate whether that counts as written by a man or a whole different catagory.

message 5: by Jay (new)

Jay Bell (jaybell) | 1 comments I love writing a good strong female character, but I haven't done a lesbian character yet. Now I'm wondering if I could pull it off. Sometimes I get a little peeved by how flowery gay guys can be when written by girls, so I think I'm scared of stepping on any toes in that regard.

message 6: by Emilie (new)

Emilie (emiliey) | 1 comments Hey,

The obvious one has to be Emile Zola's "Nana", surely? This is late nineteenth century France, written in the Naturalist style about the decadent era immediately preceding, which to his mind was repellent in its greed and vice.

None of that gives Nana a promising start, yet she remains an immensely compelling character, and her lesbian partner, if not always sensitive, is never less than interesting.

If nothing else, it shows real discipline in applying Naturalist principles, since Zola's Nana is such a personable character, despite his obvious belief in her immorality!

~ M.

message 7: by Liz (new)

Liz Mourant (aeonic45) | 3 comments What about Baudelaire's infamous poetry about lesbians and lesbianism "Les Lesbiennes?" lol. The man wrote amazing "symbolist" poetry, and was its Daddy in fact and wrote quite sensual poems of Lesbian women, imo.

message 8: by Liz (new)

Liz Mourant (aeonic45) | 3 comments Oh, in 'Les Fleurs Du Mal' which, I have only read in translation.