She-Geeks discussion

Anime > Suggestions for Strong Female Lead?

Comments (showing 1-48 of 48) (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kay Lotus, Red Queen (last edited Oct 01, 2012 05:08PM) (new)

Kay Lotus (ayokayo) | 249 comments Mod
Not only am I talking about a female as the main character, but one(s) who is smart, physically strong, and well, more like a natural woman. Blatant sex appeal does not turn me off. After all, can't a woman be powerful and sexy at the same time? ;) I rather her not be whiny with an aggravatingly high-pitched voice that's common in anime. Nothing generally against that, I've just watched my share. I enjoyed Ghost in the Shell and Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna, so anything across those lines would do. Appreciate it!

message 2: by Lashya (new)

Lashya Wilson | 94 comments "Winx Club". Bloom, Stella, Flora, Musa, Tecna, Layla/Aisha.

Tecnically not an Anime, but it fits all of the other bills !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's Italian.

Leena (semi-hiatus) (Leena23) What about Jo from Burst Angel?

message 4: by Kay Lotus, Red Queen (new)

Kay Lotus (ayokayo) | 249 comments Mod
I'll check out both Winx Club and Burst Angel. Thanks. And let me clarify that I'm looking for good anime series to watch with a strong female(s) lead. I'm not looking for specific characters.

Leena (semi-hiatus) (Leena23) Oh okay. Yeah I really like Burst Angel, hope you enjoy it :)

message 6: by Chimney (new)

Chimney | 471 comments Gunslinger Girl has some really strong female leads. The first season tends to focus on one, but you get some background on a few of the others. I would only watch it though if you don't mind young girls being turned into killing machines for a government project.

Leena (semi-hiatus) (Leena23) Love that show Chimney~

message 8: by Ash (new)

Ash Mill (AshMill) | 43 comments burst angel andmaybe soul eater

message 9: by Neal (new)

Neal Cormier (NealCormier) | 5 comments The classic Sci-fi female leads for me was Ripley in Alien and Aliens. She displayed the gender-independent quality of leadership for the so-called "male" leads. Now its fuckin Britney Spears and LadyGaga, Twighlight, packaged rebellion...

message 10: by Chimney (new)

Chimney | 471 comments Becca, have you seen the second season? I have only seen the first and was wondering how the second one compared.

message 11: by Anna (Bananas!) (new)

Anna  (Bananas!) | 758 comments Neal wrote: "The classic Sci-fi female leads for me was Ripley in Alien and Aliens. She displayed the gender-independent quality of leadership for the so-called "male" leads. Now its fuckin Britney Spears and L..."

Definitely! Ripley's my hero.

message 12: by Neal (new)

Neal Cormier (NealCormier) | 5 comments Totally. What happened to Heroine's today?? :)

message 13: by Anna (Bananas!) (new)

Anna  (Bananas!) | 758 comments Okay, I think we're jumping in on an anime-specific thread... Anyway, I'm sure there are some other strong heroines out there. Lizbeth Salander comes to mind, although she's not sci-fi or anime. Pris in Blade Runner; she's a replicant so does she count? La Femme Nikita. The lead in Colombiana wasn't bad.

message 14: by Neal (new)

Neal Cormier (NealCormier) | 5 comments I don't know Salander, but Pris? I tried to see that, but couldn't, in fact, I'd say she's a completely weak character.

message 15: by Lauren (last edited Oct 06, 2012 07:45AM) (new)

Lauren (lauren713) You definitely ought to check out Moribito. It is an anime about a spear-wielding female bodyguard charged with protecting a young prince from his own father. It is a really good show, and all those annoying tropes that have become synonymous with anime these days are blessedly absent. There are no panty shots, no whining, and the only "magical girl" is a sharp-tongued, badass elderly sorceress.

message 16: by Ash (new)

Ash Mill (AshMill) | 43 comments Yea i was just bout to suggest that my friend got me addicted to that show and Balsa is so awesome and your right it not like one of those show that some of the guys i know would watch case they dont show bra panties or any skin that they want to see i mean seriouly but Balsa is a good storng female and not a wimp or definseless like girls r usually pertrade

message 17: by Anna (Bananas!) (new)

Anna  (Bananas!) | 758 comments Neal wrote: "I don't know Salander, but Pris? I tried to see that, but couldn't, in fact, I'd say she's a completely weak character."

Pris kicks some ass, but no she's not admirable like Ripley. Not in the same league.
I thought of a couple others: Leeloo from Fifth Element and Sidney from Alias.

message 18: by Neal (new)

Neal Cormier (NealCormier) | 5 comments leeloo is both cute and strong. but sort of unreal..such was the quality of the movie

message 19: by Alysse (new)

Alysse (sailorx2) | 11 comments Lady Oscar, from Rose of Versailles. It's a bit of an older series, but Oscar's definately a personal favorite. She is a woman in 18th century France, raised as a man (though she has been quick to correct those who confuse her for one). As she was raised to take her father's place, who was a prominent general, she's skilled in all sorts of things a military nobleman should know. And then there's her personality, very noble with a stong sense of justice. Then just take into account it's right before the French Revolution...
So if anyone likes historical anime...

message 20: by Nori (new)

Nori (Norinski) Teresa from Claymore? Actually, 9 lot of the girls in claymore-even Clare grows into her own later (in the manga.)

message 21: by Lashya (new)

Lashya Wilson | 94 comments Have Saya from "Blood+" Been mentioned, yet ????????????????

message 22: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 133 comments Not my favorite anime by any means, but Canaan had some pretty strong female leads...and some weak ones too. Overall it was very entertaining. I'd recommend it.

message 23: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Have you seen Witch Hunter Robin? I wouldn't call her physically strong but she holds her own rather well and really grows in the series.

message 24: by Lashya (new)

Lashya Wilson | 94 comments MANY WOMEN, Especially Rukia Kuchiki, from "BLEACH" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rukia Kuchiki GAVE "THAT BOY" The power of the Shinigami !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THAT BOY is Ichigo Kurosaki .......................

message 25: by SuriZen (last edited Feb 13, 2013 11:04AM) (new)

SuriZen | 4 comments Hmm try the Twelve Kingdoms and Spice and Wolf for sure.
Both have amazing lead characters. In Twelve Kingdoms she's thrust into a world she knows nothing about, but learns quickly. In Spice and Wolf we have Horo who from the get go is incredibly smart and has good intuition.

And maybe Chihayafuru. Great female lead character.

message 26: by Robert C. Adams (last edited Feb 13, 2013 10:31PM) (new)

Robert C. Adams (robertcadams) | 7 comments Rukia on Bleach is really awesome and the show has lots of strong female characters. Witch Hunter Robin also really awesome in a quiet way and she is the lead. Clare in Claymore is also amazing and the lead. Burst Angel is also really good show with all female characters.

Erza in Fairy Tail is really awesome. Most of the Female leads in Fairy Tail are really cool actually. Lucy is more typical at the beginning but she becomes stronger and that is part of the plot line especially hanging out with Erza and Mirajane. Mirajane seems really passive at first too but I don't want to spoiler how awesome she gets if you havent watched it.

Even though Gintama has a guy as the main lead, the female characters on Gintama are also ridiculously cool and fun and some of them are a bit crazy. The show is really fun and there are like two layers of jokes, with simply silly goofy stuff for younger viewers and with clever and sometimes obvious references that only grown ups or people who watch a lot of anime would get. Lots of female characters and they usually are the focus of the episodes more than the hero Gintoki who doesn't do much most of the time.

The female characters on One Piece are also really strong too and smart and they get stronger.

Erza Scarlet on Fairy Tail is still is the toughest though and she has all kinds of weapons and armor with her requip power. It's funny when she beats up Natsu all the time also. I think Fairy Tail has the most dynamic female leads that are strong, smart and awesome.

Erza pics :)

message 27: by Andromeda (new)

Andromeda M31 (huffpuff) 12 Kingdoms is the "girl travels to another world" story done seriously and very well. It's based on a series of novels and goes against many typical anime tropes, mainly the hot boy is not a love interest. I really loved it for the variety of friendships within the show and a large cast of characters that break anime stereotypes. Hurray for character development done well.

I'm shocked that REVOLUTIONARY GIRL UTENA hasn't been mentioned, and if it has, I apologize for gushing, but I think that is MY FAVORITE ANIME SERIES EVER. It has the continuous themes of adolescence, but doesn't shy away from honest portrayals of sex and the power play within. Actually, wait, I take that back, it's so chocked full of symbolism nothing is directly honest, ever. Did the Akio car represent sex? What was Chu Chu about? I DONT KNOW. But it was awesome. It starts out as a typical gender bending magical girl shoujo anime, but then by the end of the first arc, the direction changes and the series just... Goes deeper. The whole point of the show is to convince you it's typical magical girl, and then slowly subvert the typical stereotypes of shoujo. That hot play boy? he's not interested in being saved by the innocent heroine. That sweet girl with the glasses? she has her own agenda, and it involves incest and betrayal and martyrdom. It has the typical "strong female character" but is rounded out by a huge array of female characters, flawed, noble, and terrifying. The first arc is hard to get into as an adult, the animation is a little dated, BUT I CANNOT RECOMMEND IT ENOUGH.

message 28: by Ash (new)

Ash Mill (AshMill) | 43 comments wedding peach has three strong willed female leads u should try it despite the name it is acctually my fav 1 look it up

message 29: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Angel Beats! hands down. This show has one of the most complex, well-realized and resourceful female characters I've ever had the pleasure of watching in action. If you want a female character who isn't hobbled by her interactions with the main male character, who time after time proves herself better than even she thinks, then Angel Beats is the show for you!

Uta no Prince-sama sounds like your stereotypical reverse-harem, but the main girl, Nanamai, constantly proves herself to be one of the sweetest, most generous characters I've watched. She manages to pull together six separate guys into a cohesive idol group and does both their and her character justice. (Also, she never chooses any of them, and it's currently airing the second season).

Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic isn't about a woman, but it contains one of the best realized female characters I've seen in a while. Morgiana is one of my all-time favorite female characters. She's physically strong, determined and will protect her friends no matter what. She experiences a great deal of personal growth through the season and it's a pleasure to watch it happen.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann doesn't seem to be about strong female characters, but damn does it give you them. Yoko and Nia are great in entirely separate ways. Yoko becomes the obviously strong woman character and Nia becomes the quietly strong. It's fantastic to see their development (and Gurren Lagann in general) and I truly adore the series.

message 30: by Jean (new)

Jean (OtakuMom) Maidsama! and Skip Beat! showcase very strong female characters though Kyouko does have a high pitched voice from time to time.

Fate/Zero has a lot of strong female characters though not necessarily main characters but primary ones.

The Story of Sainkuoko is has a strong female character involved in political intrigue Imperial China.

Gosick -- she's more of a female Sherlock Holmes.

message 31: by Atm (new)

Atm (Aryes) | 21 comments I suggest Crimson Hero- Girl is something fierce, and is determined when it comes to her favorite sport!

I also suggest Squid Girl! Almost every character is female, but they are funny awesome, and entirely strong.

History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi! is a great one for seeing some girls kick butt.

SKIP BEAT IS HANDS DOWN THE BEST FEMALE STRONG ROLE EVER PLAYED ABOUT AN AVERAGE CRAZY DETERMINED GIRL THAT WANTS TO GET REVENGE THROUGH SHOWBIZ! U MUST READ!!!

Anyway that's just a few and I suggest them all! :)

message 32: by Jean (new)

Jean (OtakuMom) I'm with you with Skip Beat! My all time favorite manga and anime!!!!

message 33: by Tonya (new)

Tonya (tkvrba) | 1 comments Michelle wrote: "Angel Beats! hands down. This show has one of the most complex, well-realized and resourceful female characters I've ever had the pleasure of watching in action. If you want a female character who ..."

I'm going to have to check those out. My favorite animes have had real upstanding male leads (DragonBall Z, Bleach, Rurouni Kenshin - just to name a few). I'd love to find an anime with a female lead similar to Inchigo or Goku. So far, I think Ghost in a Shell is the closest I've found.

message 34: by sweetPixiesmile (new)

sweetPixiesmile | 20 comments I'm completely floored that Nausicaa has not been suggested.

A strong female character is one that doesn't exist to shore up the males, and although might be discriminated against for her gender, isn't defined by her gender. That's why I have to disagree with Kenichi, because many if not most of the female characters all revolve around the males (not to mention the fanservice and stereotypical character designs.)

Eiichiro Oda is really good at creating main female leads that are strong.... just as much as his parodies of the stereotypical female characters, in both Fairy Tale and One Piece. None of Luffy's female crew are defined by their gender and many defy chikification. Rukia from Bleach... I'm not so sure.

I've never seen Wedding Peach as a vehicle for a strong woman character....

My suggestions:
Revy from Black Lagoon.
Maki Aikawa from Air Master.
Much of the female cast of Claymore.
Lee Moon Young and Choi Dal Dal in Girls of the Wild's.
Chikane Himemiya of Kannazuki no Miko.
Lust, Izumi Curtis, Olivie Mira Armstrong from Fullmetal Alchemist.
Motoko Kusanagi from Ghost in the Shell.
Deunan Knute of Appleseed.
Yūko Ichihara of XXXholic.
Alita from Battle Angel Alita.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

No one mention Moribito? =w=

Oh and Psycho Pass!

The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears (TheFountainPenDiva) Rally and Minnie May from Gunsmith Cats: Volume 1. I love the opening them for the series and it's one of my favourite classic anime.

message 37: by Sadie (new)

Sadie | 1 comments yo ... I don't know id anyone has mentioned Mouretsu Pirates ....its really fun about a girl coming into her own as a pirate with the help of her friends. also spice and wolf.

message 38: by Celina (new)

Celina | 18 comments Lisbeth Salander from Girl with a dragon tattoo.

message 39: by sweetPixiesmile (new)

sweetPixiesmile | 20 comments Celina wrote: "Lisbeth Salander from Girl with a dragon tattoo."

Is there a manga for that? I would totally read it!

message 40: by Martha (new)

Martha Burns | 22 comments I like the protagonist in Connie Willis's Doomsday Book. She is a scientist (smart), who goes back in time (wow science fiction trope that usually is sloppy, but great here), and studies the black plague (plague, mmm, plague).

Also, and here is a pet peeve--she doesn't get raped as part of her initiation as a warrior, so no Salander for me. I also think most of us have read it already.

message 41: by Kirsten (last edited Aug 12, 2014 03:04PM) (new)

Kirsten Rodning (ringwraith10) | 49 comments Hellsing, Vol. 01 is full of amazing, strong females (though they are often mistaken for males!)

Also, the first example that came to mind was Black Lagoon, Volume 1. Though the main female character is dressed very provocatively, she's the most bad-ass chick in anime/manga.

I know a few people mentioned Skip Beat, but I just wouldn't agree. I haven't read much of it, but the main character seemed so whiny and lacking in personal agency to me. Just my opinion, though.

Edit: Oh, I forgot to mention... there is a Shojo manga I would recommend! Alice 19th, Vol. 01: Lotis Master! The character seems annoying at first, but she has such a wonderful amount of character growth throughout the series and really discovers herself and her own strength. Wonderful series. :)

message 42: by Jovi (new)

Jovi Pastor | 1 comments I kind of skipped over the other posts but I will cite, if not reiterating, Studio Ghibli films as having strong female lead characters.

There is also One Piece where Nami and Robin (the former more) are considered as another types of strong female characters albeit they are not the lead protagonist of the whole series.

message 43: by Meganclare7 (new)

Meganclare7 | 3 comments ok so not all of these are strong physically.
claymore
12 kingdoms
erin
almost any ghibli film
glass mask
chihayafuru
chance pop session
sunday without a god (maybe)
kill la kill
Kotoura (maybe)
kobato
total eclipse (haven't watched the whole thing can't say for sure)
Moribito
AND Sabagebu! (though it's mostly just very funny)

message 44: by Bahijah (last edited Jun 01, 2015 04:20PM) (new)

Bahijah hasan (FireFae18) | 2 comments Kill la Kill is definitely a great anime
also i'd recommend

Freezing
Ikki Tousen
Vampire Knight
Cross Ange
Sakura Hime
Appleseed
Ayashi no Ceres
Bloody Cross

There are more but I can't think of the names right now but give me any book, movie, or show withn a strong female lead who can fight and I'm hooked

Hannah (Ivyclad Ideas) | 12 comments Magi has Morgiana who's AWESOME. She's the major female character, but she's also the last of the leads introduced. She doesn't come in as a lead until volume three of the manga, so I don't know how many eps it'd take in the anime.

message 46: by a.z. (new)

a.z. (bukgebuk) | 1 comments Kurisu Makise from Steins; Gate and Georgia Mason from Newsflesh trilogy. They aren't all physically strong, but yet they're my fave characters ever--even my role modes!

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

1. Saiunkoku Monogatari: She is assigned to educate the King on how to govern his Kingdom.

The female MC is is intelligent, strong, witty, does not let anyone tell her what to do, kind, driven, ambitious and feminine.

I am surprised this anime is not popular. Now I can't deal with most female Mcs because my expectation is too high.

2. Oh, actually the MC from Psycho-Pass is also a strong female character. Although I don't like some of the decisions she made in the story or her rigid moral/ethical code, she stands by her beliefs and she learns from experience.

Both of these Animes are very good, too. So it is not just character based.

3. Akatsuki No Yona: She is annoying at first, but there will definitely a leap in character growth throughout the series.

message 48: by A. (new)

A. B (Aimpie) Teacher from full metal alchemist!

description

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGpKL...