Linda Howard Book Junkies discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > White Lies - October BOM

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dee (last edited Oct 01, 2012 04:54PM) (new)

Dee Sauter (InDeathAddict) | 40 comments Hey gang,

I forgot to look at the polls on the 29th..Sorry. Anyway, White lies is the new BOM.

I am currently doing a buddy read of Honor's Splendour with Nadia and Elayne, but I will try to read a little tonight. I will be going slower until I finish with the buddy read, but at any rate, I should be finished with both books by the end of the week.

Hope you enjoy White Lies.

message 2: by Julie (new)

Julie (gpangel) OK, I located my copy of White Lies. I am finishing a rather thick novel , but I did get the first chapter read. I can see where this is going. I think I'm going to like this one.

message 3: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (InDeathAddict) | 40 comments I know this book was copy righted in 1988, prior to DNA being a big deal, but it seems strange to read something in which they have to have dental records in order to identify someone.

message 4: by Julie (new)

Julie (gpangel) Dee wrote: "I know this book was copy righted in 1988, prior to DNA being a big deal, but it seems strange to read something in which they have to have dental records in order to identify someone."

I know what you mean. We just take all that for granted these days.( But, I like the old school books like Sue Grafton's alphabet mysteries, set in the 80's. I get cracked up when she pulls out her typewriter. )
I finished the novel I was reading, so now I am totally focused on White Lies. So, far I really like it.

message 5: by Dee (last edited Oct 05, 2012 10:37PM) (new)

Dee Sauter (InDeathAddict) | 40 comments I agree with you about the 80's and the typewriter. LOL.

LH is using a lot of writer's perogative on this one. My brother had to have a tube down his throat for a day and he told me how horrible it was. He would want to cough and after that he couldn't breathe until the machine did what it wanted. There was no way he could have said anything like hurt or who.

I am also guessing that there is no way he could have done the spelling thing. That is a higher intellect activity and with the drugs and all I can't see how he could do it. I understand why LH wrote it that way. If she did it realistically until Steve got the tube out her pages would be blank and boring. For instance, Jay sat, she read to him, she watched him breathe. She asked yes and no questions, while he shook his hands. Boring....This way it was really kind of interesting. This time in the hospital was also important because it helped bond the couple.

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (InDeathAddict) | 40 comments Can you name 5 qualities of Steve?

message 7: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (InDeathAddict) | 40 comments Can you name 5 qualities of Jay?

message 8: by Julie (new)

Julie (gpangel) Dee wrote: "Can you name 5 qualities of Steve?"

Steve is:
Loyal
Intense
Mentally tough
Trustworthy
Dangerous ( wouldn't want to sneak up on this guy)

message 9: by Julie (new)

Julie (gpangel) Dee wrote: "Can you name 5 qualities of Jay?"

Jay is:
Tenacious
Loyal
Stressed out
A fighter ( doesn't easily give up, and rises to the occasion when needed)
Nurturing

message 10: by Dee (last edited Oct 06, 2012 09:26PM) (new)

Dee Sauter (InDeathAddict) | 40 comments I caught a mistake in the book. Kell Sabin said if they were lucky they might have 24 hours before Piggot got to him. The next page it was 4 hours (which would make more sense).

message 11: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (InDeathAddict) | 40 comments I finished the book and I thought the ending was very anticlimatic. (view spoiler)

message 12: by Julie (new)

Julie (gpangel) Dee wrote: "I caught a mistake in the book. Kell Sabin said if they were lucky they might have 24 hours before Piggot got to him. The next page it was 4 hours (which would make more sense)."

You have a good eye. I didn't notice that.

message 13: by Julie (new)

Julie (gpangel) Dee wrote: "I finished the book and I thought the ending was very anticlimatic. [spoilers removed]"

I agree with you.

message 14: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (InDeathAddict) | 40 comments I really liked the book until the end. Then I was majorly disappointed.

message 15: by Debby (new)

Debby Harrison | 227 comments I'm like you, Dee, I really liked the book, then became disappointed in it. I don't know what LH was thinking not to finish it.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.