Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

Let's compare weather! > Weather - Tues. Feb. 10, 2009 - What YOUR weather?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Glens Falls - Tues. Feb. 10, 2009
Temp at 2:35 AM-ET: 12°F (-11°C)

Tuesday: A slight chance of snow and freezing rain before 10am, then a chance of rain.
Mostly cloudy, with a high near 36.
Calm wind becoming south between 5 and 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%.
New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Tuesday Night: A chance of light rain before midnight.
Patchy fog. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 29.
South wind between 3 and 5 mph.
Chance of precipitation is 30%.
New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Above from: http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick....

COMMENT:Our ice is slowing melting away.
Hope today's temp of 36 will help melt even more.

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6320 comments It's pouring down rain here after two gorgeous days. Yesterday we got in to the mid 60's! It was 55 again this morning. I'm glad the rain didn't come on Sunday as it was supposed to. The streams were brim full of run off. They're still pretty full, so we'll get some flooding, but the extra day's respite will help a lot.

message 3: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Feb 10, 2009 11:34AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Does your area get much flooding during times like this, Jim?
I feel sorry for the folks who live in areas which tend to flood.

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6320 comments Not usually too bad. Most of us live on hills. It's the bridges that get bad.

message 5: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments I see.

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6320 comments It's still spitting, but we never got too much rain all at once over a large area. No flooding. That's good. We've been hammered enough.

message 7: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Feb 11, 2009 06:47AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Glad your area isn't flooded.
Looks like we'll be getting a bit of rain today, Wednesday.
See my topic for today's weather at:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

message 8: by Nina (new)

Nina | 6067 comments Floods. Because it finally rained last night after months of no precipitation, except for about a quarter of inch of snow this year, so far I was interested in reading about your rain storms in KY. In 1951 in Kansas City MO there was terrible flooding; the stockyards, among other places. cattle floating everywhere, grain elevators water to almost the top; forty feet or more. I had a new baby boy at that time and I had to save water in the bathtub and boil it for him besides boiling it to wash his clothes etc. He was quite sick from shots to avoid cholera etc. Many died and many more lost their homes and belongings. It wasn't a Katrina, but it came close. In small doses even in our suburbs we have had deaths on occasion from flooding. Two young girls whose car was flooding swam down a street near us and were able to climb into a second story window. You have heard the expression, "Feast or Famine." It seems to apply hereabouts. nina

message 9: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Feb 11, 2009 03:58PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Those are sad stories, Nina. I suppose there's just so much that engineers can do to stop flooding. I hope that at least they've been able to ameliorate the situation in flood areas by taking preventive measures.

message 10: by Nina (new)

Nina | 6067 comments There have been good dams built in the ensuing years so it will never go back to what it was but still we seem to have some problems almost every year. nina

message 11: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments We had rain today. Things get very messy at this time of year... melting snow and mud here and there. But no flooding, thank goodness. Just annoying puddles.