Horror Aficionados discussion

October is here!

Comments (showing 1-21 of 21) (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (MightyMjolner) | 17 comments You may have surmised from the topic how excited I am not that October has rolled around. My favorite time of year by far. As I walked in the house this afternoon I told my wife I'm going to try to to something in the spirit of Halloween every day this month. wether that be reading, watching, playing, eating (LOL) or any other "thing" I can think of. I'm really just a big kid at heart and I get all excited around this time of year. I Have this tradition going back a few years now that no matter what I'm reading I put it aside and re-read Three Ray Bradbury novels - Something Wicked This Way Comes, From the Dust Returned, and The Halloween Tree. I guess it's debatable wether Bradbury should be considered an actual Horror writer (most people label him a Science Fiction author. I've always considered him more in the realm of Dark Fantasy. Anyway, not to ramble on but the leaves have turned and are falling, the days are getting that Autumn chill, and with a coffee in one hand and my Nook in the other as I sit outside on my front porch it just feels right. Have a wonderful October everyone.

message 2: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (Jez476) | 74 comments LOL! Your excitement is infectious, Ryan. I love October as well and I'm going to start reading The October Country today.

message 3: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan  (Voodoo-Spooky) | 27 comments I couldn't agree more. I'm going to celebrate by watching this documentary about the Mothman. Maybe it's time for a little ride out to Point Pleasant on the Harley. Gotta love October.

message 4: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (MightyMjolner) | 17 comments I literally just finished reading the first story from that book an hour ago!!!! See? October is already starting out awesome, LOL.

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily | 0 comments HAPPY HALLOWEEN MONTH! (In caps.) Thanks for the reminder about The Halloween Tree. It's been on my list for a while. Now to find some good, old-fashioned ghostly, haunted house, killer doll, Obligatory Monster horror novels to read and pass the time.

message 6: by Pete (new)

Pete Planisek | 15 comments If you're looking for something to get you into the October/Halloween spirit I'd like to humbly suggest my debut novel Frankenstein A Life Beyond, which is a direct sequel to Mary Shelley's classic tale. It is available as an ebook at my site (www.enceladusliterary.com), Amazon.com, and Barnes & Noble.com.

October is aces. Have a great month readers.

message 7: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (Jez476) | 74 comments Ryan wrote: "I literally just finished reading the first story from that book an hour ago!!!! See? October is already starting out awesome, LOL."

Great minds think alike! I read the first story a while back but then I put the book down. (It wasn't October!)

message 8: by Trisha (new)

Trisha (KiKiLAngoisse) | 13 comments Just joined this group and it's nice to find fellow Horror friends, I too love October!

Cooler crisp air, chilling movies all month long and perfect time for spooky reads. I've actually been leaning towards picking up some classic Clive Barker off my bookshelf but might also look for a new horror write this year.

Happy Haunting and have a howling great month!

message 9: by Mikhail (new)

Mikhail Lerma (MLerma) | 24 comments I too, am in love with October. #1 for Halloween, #2 It's my b-day month. I just love the feel of October. And ever since I became a dad Halloween is so much more fun! I can go trick-or-treating again without it being weird! haha.

Oh and also, The Walking Dead starts back up soon. In October of course.

message 10: by Stargirl (new)

Stargirl | 4 comments I love Halloween, even if it's sadly not celebrated much here in Australia. So I'm always up for lots of scary reads and terrifying movies to keep me going - haha.

Love The Walking Dead, Stephen King and the last TERRIFYING book I read (and very good for Halloween) was an ARC of "The Fallen Boys" by Aaron Dries. God, it left me shaking...

Bring Halloween to Australia for me! lolThe Fallen Boys

message 11: by J (new)

J (blkdoggy) | 164 comments I would think this being an election year, November would be a scarier month.

message 12: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 26 comments It is nice going back to our "comfort" books. I love grabbing (Dracula) off the shelf to reread. Enjoy your daily halloween month!

message 13: by Bill (new)

Bill (Shiftyj1) | 4909 comments Mod
Jorge wrote: "I would think this being an election year, November would be a scarier month."

LOL! You might be right!

message 14: by Alan (new)

Alan Ryker (alan_ryker) | 25 comments Chrissy wrote: "It is nice going back to our "comfort" books. I love grabbing (Dracula) off the shelf to reread. Enjoy your daily halloween month!"

I never thought about it, but October is a good month for comfort reads. Maybe I'll read Frankenstein again. I think the only book I've read more times is Dune.

message 15: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (MightyMjolner) | 17 comments Makes me happy to see Dracula and Frankenstein as a couple of books people are referencing. I have a really good book that includes both these and The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde all in one. I read it around this time a few years back and it definitly set the mood for October /Halloween. I finally got my wife to read Dracula shortly after so that was a bonus too.

message 16: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23558 comments I checked out an audio today with five or six short stories and poems of Poe's read by Basil Rathbone and Vincent Price. Very interesting.

message 17: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (MightyMjolner) | 17 comments How ironic that you mention Basil Rathbone and Vincent Price Tressa, About two days ago I watched them both starring in the same movie, A Comedy of Terrors. It's a dark comedy also featuring Peter Lorre and my personal favorite actor of all time Boris Karloff. Funny how that happens sometimes.

message 18: by Bob (new)

Bob | 73 comments Tressa wrote: "I checked out an audio today with five or six short stories and poems of Poe's read by Basil Rathbone and Vincent Price. Very interesting."

I've put a link here that you might like. It's an Alan Parsons project song called the Raven. Ahhh you've got to love October. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvBSig...

message 19: by Bob (last edited Oct 31, 2012 09:40AM) (new)

Bob | 73 comments It's my favorite time of year also and what better way to spend the nights then curled up in your favorite chair or couch reading a horror book and looking over your shoulder every now and then to make sure everything is okay.

message 20: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (MightyMjolner) | 17 comments I think it's far to say that I got the most out of Halloween this year than I've had in a while. Read Halloween Tree/ From the Dust Returned / Something Wicked This Way Comes - check. Carved pumpkins/ trick or treating with the kids - check. Watched five or six Hammer horror movies - check. And to end it all I was able to catch a one day only double feature at the theater of Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein! YES!!!! Until next year then.... Happy Halloween everyone.

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* (ErinPaperbackstash) | 848 comments October is a great month. Love the weather, Halloween, the movies on TV with the horror theme, and just about everything with fall anyway. Now it's over but at least Fall is still here!