The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1)
This topic is about The Raven Boys
Series > The Raven Boys

Comments (showing 1-43 of 43) (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erika, Dream Thief (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erika (livingforthebooks) | 4468 comments Mod
What did you think of it?

Lindsay (GoDrinkNailPolish) | 2 comments Great book, Maggie's always great.

Really think Gansey and his whole rich guy persona is totally annoying, looking forward to his character development through the series as his and Blue's relationship grows.

Noah creeped me out from the beginning, and while I was suprised with what happened to his character, it was more of a "I knew something was up with him!" moment.

Can't wait for the next one to come, a whole year from now!

Mags~CVAddikt~ I love each and every single one of the boys ... even Noah ;)

Gansey was a bit annoying, I agree, but he has a good heart, and he has a camaro ...

I wish I could have aunts like Calla and Persephone, they are the best!!

message 4: by Erika, Dream Thief (new) - rated it 5 stars

I can't wait to read this! I have it sitting on my bookshelf but I'm making myself finish the other 5 or 6 books I've started reading before I start this one.

message 5: by Lottie (new)

Lottie Eve (LottieEve) | 219 comments Lol I know that feeling... I have 3 books I need to read before reason this one! I buy books faster than I can read them,

Elise | 2 comments Reading it right now but it's on pause for MoA

Natasha (natashasnow) I finished the book and I actually loved Gansey's character! He reminds me a mad scientist or an inventor. I thought he was uptight, and not uptight at all, while being boyishly oblivious to certain things around him and too familiar with others. I think he was my favorite character!

Jessica (Goldenfurpro) (Goldenfurproductions) | 4596 comments I'm reading this book right now! XD
It's good so far!

Mailu Casis (Maiilu13) | 106 comments Well i finish this just a few days ago. I have to say I really liked the characters...specially Gansey and Adam... though i was a little disapointed in Blue's relatiolnship with them. But Ronana was my favorite!! even if he was kind of a jerk.. in the end it is a good book, one that is worth reading!! i hope you enjoy it as much as i did!!! :3

Danielle | 14 comments I'm reading this book right now and I am loving it...I love all of maggie stiefvater's books to death and love the originality in this

message 11: by Erika, Dream Thief (new) - rated it 5 stars

I finished this yesterday and I loved it! Ronan, Noah, and Gansey were my favorite characters.

message 12: by Erika, Dream Thief (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lindsay wrote: "Great book, Maggie's always great.

Really think Gansey and his whole rich guy persona is totally annoying, looking forward to his character development through the series as his and Blue's relati..."

I actually don't find him that annoying for some reason. Maybe its because of the times when he doesn't act rich.

Greta (GoodreadsGreta) | 19 comments I liked all the boys, but I really liked Adam. I kind of wish he could end up with Blue but I don't really think that's going to happen. I also worry that since (view spoiler)

message 14: by Jada (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jada (JadaAriadne) | 122 comments Not sure if my spoiler warning will work so...
WARNING SPOILER, READ ON AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Great book. Gansey is probably the strangest rich person ever because he acts so... not rich, kind of. Noah is so cute, (view spoiler)

Mags~CVAddikt~ I loved Ronan ... he named the bird "chainsaw"!!! how cute is that?? LOL

Something I liked ... that well ... you don't see in many YA books ... is that the boys (at least Adam and Gansey) were worried about school grades (Gansey didn't want Ronan to be kicked out from school)... I mean ... it can be a mood killer I know but ... sometimes I feel the teenagers in YA books are "prepared to save the world from the evil forces ... but not prepared for a math test".

I feel so old and bitter saying that ... but ... well ...

Alicia (ColorMeRead) | 89 comments I loved this book. It is unlike anything out there now and I'm glad because there isn't anything to compare it too. The characters were fantastic. Sometimes I forget how young Gansey was suppose to be because of the way he acted or talked. And that is so refreshing for YA books. Definitely can't wait for the sequel.

Annabel ♥ (cinnamonbliss) | 4490 comments I just checked this one out of the library and I am so excited to start reading!!!!!

message 18: by Erika, Dream Thief (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne ♥♥ wrote: "I just checked this one out of the library and I am so excited to start reading!!!!!"

Hope you like it! It was awesome :)

message 20: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie Buchanan | 15 comments I just recently heard about this book and honestly I have no idea what it is about but the cover looks amazing and it just the Title sounds good. Hopefully I get it soon and will love it :)

Laura | 4 comments Am I the only one a but disappointed by the ending? To be fair, I will probably like it better when the next book is released and there are no loose ends

Tiffany Noel | 5 comments Oh my gosh, this book was absolute heaven for me! I loved it from beginning to end. Maggie really knows how to get a story going. I loved all the boys (except Adam) and all the other characters. Can't wait for book 2!
P.S: And who doesn't love a book with a few swear words in it? LOL

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved this book. No adored it. Wanted to give it a big hug when I finished. Or maybe I wanted one. I did think the ending seemed a little... rushed... easy... but I think the next book will have more on what happened. I have a feeling Adam won't be the same anyway.
I loved the characters. I loved that the main character had a family that actually cared for her. But mainly I loved the lack of instant love at first sight. It's nice to see friendships like this in a young adult book.

Sydney I actually loved this book! Honestly I did find it fairly hard to get into, but it picked up after a while! I can't wait to read the next installment! Oh yeah and one more thing...it was actually so hard not to fall in love with Gansey! Like seriously, I could marry that guy <3

Sophia | 60 comments I really liked the characters in this book, that's what made it for me

Stormy :) (Stormy0218) | 3523 comments I really like this book. Not only did it have a beautiful cover-- I absolutely love all of Maggie's book covers-- it had a really good plot and good characters. I also liked how unlike other ya books it had more of a friendship theme instead of just romance romance romance.

Hannah (Hannah1) I found this on tumblr
http://maggie-stiefvater.tumblr.com/p...
It's a small soundtrack or themed music to go with the book and I think it actually fits perfectly, what do you guys think?

Katniss8112 | 15 comments It took me a month to finish because I had about nine books on my shelf. I gave up eventually and paused Delirium to read it. It was surprisingly good for a psychic book. I really want to read the next one. I liked Gansey the best because he was like a mad scientist. Mad scientist = awesomeness!!! I liked Ronan too because he was awesome at Latin. Latin is the language I want to learn; Btw. I liked Adam to he was nice. Then Noah just creeped me out at the beginning. I knew something was up. I think that Whelk made his name up. Do you remember that Blues mom said that blues dad had a Latin name?? Whelk is a Latin teacher. 2+2=4 I think that whelk is her secret dad. I hope not though. Lets hope that the next one is awesome.

Rachelle (mamachelle07) | 110 comments I just finished this, and really quite enjoyed it! However, the last line has me totally confused and I feel like I may have missed something along the way. Something about Ronan taking Chainsaw out of his dreams? I know the next book is called Dream Thieves or something along those lines, but if anyone has insight from this book about what that means I'd appreciate it! :)

Hannah (Hannah1) The last line will make more sense in the next book. But basically ronan can dream of something and make it be real

Rachelle (mamachelle07) | 110 comments Hannah wrote: "The last line will make more sense in the next book. But basically ronan can dream of something and make it be real"

I figured it would. Thanks! :) Can't wait to get my hands on the next one!

message 32: by Sera (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sera Streiff-vena (DrSmedley) | 2 comments Traci L. wrote: "I loved this book. No adored it. Wanted to give it a big hug when I finished. Or maybe I wanted one. I did think the ending seemed a little... rushed... easy... but I think the next book will have ..."

I agree with you that the ending was a bit rushed--but I am hesitant to criticize anything in this book because I think it's so outstanding and extremely well-done...especially the characterizations. It's a very fine book and I suspect in the future will be considered a classic. I have pre-ordered Book 2 for myself and a daughter and a few others. I hope it can live up to the promise of this first!

message 33: by Sera (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sera Streiff-vena (DrSmedley) | 2 comments Traci L. wrote: "I loved this book. No adored it. Wanted to give it a big hug when I finished. Or maybe I wanted one. I did think the ending seemed a little... rushed... easy... but I think the next book will have ..."

Several people commented on how Gansy often seemed older than he was...and that it was easy to lose sight of his youth because of his maturity and high level of self-confidence (being wealthy does help with that poise & easy demeanor, though) I have a friend (met him in junior high & we've been friends for over 40 years) who was very much like this character when we were teens: he was brilliant, charismatic & highly insightful...one of those "old souls in a young person's body". He had a profound effect on those of us who spent time in his "circle"--we called ourselves, "The Nest". It reminded me of Gansy's group of Raven Boys plus Blue. I couldn't help thinking of my friend Paul as I read this outstanding book. Another thing Paul had in common with Gansy is his acute awareness of his mortality..an acceptance that he might not live as long as his peers (he had a chronic disease). Sadly, my friend is actually fading away fast...I'm waiting for the dreaded phone call from his wife. In the spring, I sent him a copy of the Raven Boys hoping he would like it as much as I did. He used to read a lot of YA fiction in order to keep up with his two kids' reading preferences. As I had hoped, he was as captivated by the mood/atmosphere of the story as I was...& he also found the fine character portrayals & the description of their friendship deeply compelling. However, he was annoyed that he probably wouldn't live love enough to read Book 2! NOTE: He also lamented that the author who wrote the Game of Thrones books would never finish another of these before he (my friend) was already gone.
I sincerely hope that the 2nd Raven Boys book won't disappoint--a tall order, I know. If it does (heavy sigh!!), I guess I'll be grateful that my friend won't be around to read it. Right now, that feels like pretty small compensation for losing such a good friend & uniquely talented individual.
To all the Gansy's of this world! Thank you for sharing your vision, your wit, and your vibrant personality with all of us (and thank you, Ms Maggie Stiefvater for bringing us this marvelous book!)

Temperance I loved this book. Ronan was my favorite!

Crystal Elizabeth | 41 comments I love love loved this book. So full of mystery and adventure. A lot of people don't seem to like Gansey, but I love him - and feel sorry for him. I loved Ronan though too, some if his lines made me laugh out loud. So excited to find out more about him in the Dream Thieves.

Lauraeimre | 51 comments My first Maggie Stiefvater book. What can I say? I actually liked it. I only heard bad things about her so I was a little bit scared. But her Raven Cycle series is very good :)
My favourite characters were Gansey and Ronan.

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 120 comments Lauraeimre wrote: "My first Maggie Stiefvater book. What can I say? I actually liked it. I only heard bad things about her so I was a little bit scared. But her Raven Cycle series is very good :)
My favourite charact..."

Really? That's odd, I've heard nothing but good.

The next 2 books are as good as this one. Love the series. I'm on a mission to read all of her books :)

message 38: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat | 1553 comments Mod
I just borrowed this book a couple days ago. Haven't started it yet, but will. Hope it's as good as everyone says it is, though a bit hesitant to see how the author characterises so many main characters.

Shelleen Toland I just read the whole series last week and enjoyed it. I liked the first book the best.

Melissa (Aglionby) | 494 comments I like Blue Lily, Lily Blue the best because of the Gansey/Blue moments. The Dream Thieves is in close second. Followed by the first book of the series.

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 120 comments Melissa wrote: "I like Blue Lily, Lily Blue the best because of the Gansey/Blue moments. The Dream Thieves is in close second. Followed by the first book of the series."

Blue Lily, Lily Blue was my least favorite book as far as solo books go, but it was the one that made me waaay more excited for the series.

Melissa (Aglionby) | 494 comments Tommy wrote: "Melissa wrote: "I like Blue Lily, Lily Blue the best because of the Gansey/Blue moments. The Dream Thieves is in close second. Followed by the first book of the series."

Blue Lily, Lily Blue was m..."

Why would any choose to read a book in a series as a solo book? Or even rate a book as a solo book when it's not? Whatever floats your boat, I guess. What didn't you like about it?

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 120 comments Melissa wrote: "Why would any choose to read a book in a series as a solo book? Or even rate a book as a solo book when it's not? Whatever floats your boat, I guess. What didn't you like about it?"

Solo might have been a poor word choice, maybe "its own" book. Basically, no matter how many books in a series, each book is its own book, which is why anyone can have a favorite/least favorite or what have you of any kind of series.

As for what I didn't like about it, nothing. I absolutely love the series so the book I enjoyed least is still a 4-star read. But I'll answer more in this spoiler tag for the sake of those who haven't got that far yet.

(view spoiler)