Bookmarks Subscribers discussion

Group Book Discussion > (Oct/Nov 2012) - The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce

Comments (showing 1-13 of 13) (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sera (new)

Sera | 1325 comments Please post your comments about this book in this thread.

message 2: by LynnB (new)

LynnB I read this in September before we had nominations and voting. I loved it!

message 3: by Laurie (new)

Laurie (LaurieLH) | 93 comments Loved this odd mix of "Up" and "Travels With Charley" story, with a bit of Anne Tyler's works thrown in. It's completely unique prose -- I don't mean to imply that Joyce copies or just reinvents the stories of others. I just felt that various elements of those others came into play and added dimension to Joyce's story. I enjoyed meeting the people encountered along the way, as I did when reading "Travels With Charley;" I found myself reflecting on my own love for my husband of many years, as I did when viewing "Up;" and I valued the passages that prompted me to look at my relationship for what it has been and is and what I want it to be, before it's too late, as happens when reading novels by Anne Tyler. I actually read this book in one day -- because I happened to have time, but also because it hooked me and I didn't want to do anything else. (more comments here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/... )

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments I'm excited about reading this one!

message 5: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 478 comments I thoroughly enjoyed this very British story of an ordinary man on a trip to post a letter that evolves into a journey of purpose. Harold's walking excursion provides time for personal reflection, and, of course,opportunity to meet all sorts of people while on route.

As I read I found myself jotting down quotes and tidbits of wisdom and thoughts of Harold. It was as if I was walking along with Harold and privy to some of this wisdom.

Here, I share one of such quotes that are presently stuffed in my Kindle case: "He understood that in walking to atone for the mistakes he had made, it was his journey to accept the strangeness of others. As a passerby, he was in a place where everything, not only the land, was open. People would feel free to talk, and he was free to listen. To carry a little of them as he went."

Good stuff and a very good read.

message 6: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Cathy wrote: "As I read I found myself jotting down quotes and tidbits of wisdom and thoughts of Harold. It was as if I was walking along with Harold and privy to some of this wisdom. "

I did the same!

message 7: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Motto | 388 comments Somewhere around page 200 Harold makes the observation that it takes courage to receive as well as give. I think that was my favorite quote in the book

message 8: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Nancy wrote: "Somewhere around page 200 Harold makes the observation that it takes courage to receive as well as give. I think that was my favorite quote in the book"

My folks are in their early 90's and have always been givers. My dad says it is so hard to receive help from people now, even if it's just a neighbor occasionally bringing a casserole over. He thinks giving is easy, it's the receiving that's very hard.

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan  (SEG4me) | 3 comments I read this book in August and was thrilled to see that this was one of Bookmarks 'Selections.' I have been recommending this book to everyone.

message 10: by Sera (new)

Sera | 1325 comments I just finished this book and enjoyed it very much.

Please read this post only if you've finished the book.

I really liked that Queenie saves Harold twice in the book and that he succeeds in helping her to pass in peace.

I also enjoyed how the story unfolded slowly, revealing a little at a time about Harold's relationships with those around him. Was anyone else surprised with the state that Queenie was in when Harold finally gets to her?

How did you feel about the other pilgrims?

message 11: by Sera (new)

Sera | 1325 comments Laurie wrote: "Loved this odd mix of "Up" and "Travels With Charley" story, with a bit of Anne Tyler's works thrown in. It's completely unique prose -- I don't mean to imply that Joyce copies or just reinvents th..."

Reading this made me smile. It's great to read about how this book moved you so much.

aPriL does feral sometimes  (CheshireScratch) I'm really in love with this book! At first I thought, oh no. But it has really grown on me.

message 13: by Sera (new)

Sera | 1325 comments I'm glad to hear that April!