Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

2012 Challenge Archive > 2012 October - What are you reading?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 78) (78 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Vi (new)

Vi | 2012 comments Time for a new thread!

What have you just read, currently reading, or about to read in October? And how are they?

Stop by and share.

message 2: by Vi (new)

Vi | 2012 comments I just finished Fair Game (Alpha & Omega, #3) by Patricia Briggs and I loved it. I've caught up on Briggs' both UF series. I have to hunt down the fantasy series now. I'm thinking Briggs can write anything and I will read that.

I've started Mystery Man (Dream Man, #1) by Kristen Ashley for the Random List challenge as a buddy read with Fran. Hoping to see how it goes.

Anybody read The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling? Reviews seem mixed but with such a high profile author, it's natural I suppose. The subject AND the cover are not interesting for me but I'm still wondering.

message 3: by Desperado (last edited Oct 01, 2012 10:09AM) (new)

Desperado (LethalLovely) | 822 comments I'm struggling through The Sacrifice by Evangeline Anderson (there's a few scene in it that make me want to vomit in my mouth).

I'm also rereading Death's Mistress (Dorina Basarab, #2) by Karen Chance in preparation for Fury's Kiss & I'm going to start This is Not a Test by Courtney Summers later on today.

message 4: by Susana (new)

Susana (Susana32) | 524 comments I've finished Dance of the Gods (Circle trilogy #2) by Nora Roberts which i really had a hard time finishing, and now i'm reading Archangel's Storm (Guild Hunter, #5) by Nalini Singh.

message 5: by Aoibhínn (new)

Aoibhínn (aoibhinn) I've finished reading Ford County by John Grisham by John Grisham last night and this morning I've started The Birthing House by Christopher Ransom by Christopher Ransom.

message 6: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Started with my first book for October, Deadly Night (Flynn Brothers, #1) by Heather Graham by Heather Graham, this month's FAC author.

message 7: by Nikki ♥ (new)

Nikki ♥ | 1173 comments Started On the Edge (The Edge, #1) by Ilona Andrews. I am really liking this one.

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy Denim (AmyDemin) | 33 comments I just finished Playing to Win (Play by Play, #4) by Jaci Burton and liked it, but not as much as the previous three books in the series.
Starting in on the RITA challenge with my first two books.
The Contemporary Series winner Doukakis's Apprentice (Harlequin Presents, #3021) by Sarah Morgan
and
The Romantic Elements winner How to Bake a Perfect Life by Barbara O'Neal

message 9: by Erin (new)

Erin H | 758 comments I read Romancing Mister Bridgerton (Bridgertons, #4) by Julia Quinn and although not my favorite of the series I really enjoyed it! Finally picked up Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #8) by J.R. Ward!

message 10: by Vi (new)

Vi | 2012 comments Amy, Sarah Morgan is one of the few HQN authors I follow. She writes good book. I hope you'll like DA. It was very good.

message 11: by Davena (new)

Davena | 18 comments finished up Dragon Bound (Elder Races, #1) by Thea Harrison, A Kiss at Midnight (Fairy Tales, #1) by Eloisa James, Winning the Wallflower A Novella (Fairy Tales, #2.5) by Eloisa James... picked up and starting Eternal Rider (Lords of Deliverance, #1) by Larissa Ione and The Duke Is Mine (Fairy Tales, #3) by Eloisa James hope they are interesting enough!!!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I've Just finished reading by Wicked Allure, loved it. Hope to see more books from the author.

I'm currently reading Switch. I started it a while back and couldn't get into it. I'm going to give it another try.

message 13: by Aoibhínn (new)

Aoibhínn (aoibhinn) I finished reading The Birthing House by Christopher Ransom by Christopher Ransom this morning. This book was one of the worst horror novels I've read in my entire life. It wasn't even the slightest bit scary. The author's writing style is terrible and I felt like most of the book was written by a horny 12-year-old. The whole plot was confusing and I disliked all the characters. I ended up not really caring what happened to any of them. This book is definitely one to avoid.

Now I'm about to begin The Green Mile by Stephen King by Stephen King.

message 14: by AmandaG (last edited Oct 05, 2012 02:37PM) (new)

AmandaG (AmandaG3) | 254 comments I just finished reading Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage (Highland Pleasures, #2) by Jennifer Ashley by Jennifer Ashley, which started off very well, but towards the end, I was just ready for it to be over.

Listening to Deception Point by Dan Brown Deception Point by Dan Brown which I've read/listened to before a long time ago, and am liking it once again.

Feel like I'm in a bit of a reading slump. Not sure what I'll read next, but I just want it to be fantastic. I'm next on the waitlist for Ashes of Honor (October Daye, #6) by Seanan McGuire by Seanan McGuire, but who knows when that will be available.

message 15: by Erin (new)

Erin H | 758 comments Finished Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #8) by J.R. Ward and I enjoyed it; starting To Catch a Highlander (MacLean Curse, #3) by Karen Hawkins!!

message 16: by Susana (new)

Susana (Susana32) | 524 comments Finished Cursed by Jennifer L. Armentrout of which i liked. Now i'm reading On the Prowl by Patricia Briggs. So far i've read the story by Patricia Briggs (the prequel to alpha and omega) and now i'm reading the story by Karen Chance. So far i'm liking it.
And then i still i have Archangel's Storm (Guild Hunter, #5) by Nalini Singhto finish.

message 17: by Raine (new)

Raine | 177 comments Finished The Darkest Kiss (Lords of the Underworld, #2) by Gena Showalter which I struggled with. Now I am reading The Darkest Hour (KGI, #1) by Maya Banks

message 18: by Nikki ♥ (new)

Nikki ♥ | 1173 comments Finished Pride Mates (Shifters Unbound, #1) by Jennifer Ashley which was an okay read. I didn't care for the heroine. Now I'm reading Judgment in Death (In Death, #11) by J.D. Robb.

Samantha (Book Lover's Cozy Cafe) (SparklyBluEyes) I am starting to read Dreams of a Dark Warrior (Immortals After Dark, #11) by Kresley Cole

message 20: by Erin (new)

Erin H | 758 comments Finished To Catch a Highlander (MacLean Curse, #3) by Karen Hawkins and it was a good addition to the series, starting Wicked Delights of a Bridal Bed (The Byrons of Braebourne, #4) by Tracy Anne Warren

message 21: by Aoibhínn (new)

Aoibhínn (aoibhinn) I just finished The Green Mile by Stephen King by Stephen King earlier today and I absolutely loved it. I'm a huge fan of Stephen King and The Green Mile has got to be one of the best novels he has ever written. In fact, it's one of the best novels I have ever read in my entire life. Once I started it, I couldn't put it down! It is very beautifully written and extremely moving at times. The plot is original, gripping and heart-breaking. I'd give this book more than five stars if I could! My full review is here.

Now I'm about to start The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson by Shirley Jackson.

message 22: by AlbertaJenn (new)

AlbertaJenn Finished The Duke And I (Bridgertons, #1) by Julia Quinn on the weekend. Found it cute, but rather simplistic. Started In Bed with a Highlander (McCabe Trilogy, #1) by Maya Banks. It is going well, thus far.

message 23: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Started Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5) by Ilona Andrews last night. Can't wait to have more Kate and Curran.

message 24: by ✎Stacey "The One Night Biter" (last edited Oct 10, 2012 08:25AM) (new)

✎Stacey "The One Night Biter" | 0 comments The Last Boyfriend (Inn BoonsBoro, #2) by Nora Roberts
I read the first book and i'm ready for the next one. I love Nora Roberts/JD Robb trilogies

message 25: by Susana (new)

Susana (Susana32) | 524 comments I'm currently reading Darkest Powers Bonus Pack by Kelley Armstrong. I really love Derek's "voice".

message 26: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (Rabbitearsblog) | 499 comments I'm currently reading Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta and it's pretty good so far!

Samantha (Book Lover's Cozy Cafe) (SparklyBluEyes) I just finished up Dreams of a Dark Warrior (Immortals After Dark, #11) by Kresley Coleand The Athena Effect by Derrolyn Anderson good books you should read both of them and now I'm onto Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1) by Kami Garciaand an ARC of The Story of Jackson Haddock by Shanora Williams

message 28: by M.A. (new)

M.A. Comley (Melcom) | 21 comments Just finished Donna Fasano's Take Me, I'm Yours and Bella Andre's Ecstasy both great reads. Not sure what to read now but will look back on other recommendations.

message 29: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 9251 comments Recently finished Coming Clean (Dirty Laundry, #3) by Inez Kelley and Knight (Unfinished Hero, #1) by Kristen Ashley and I am now reading
Shattered Glass (Shattered Glass, #1) by Dani Alexander, which Jane bought me for my birthday, as a buddy read with KarenH :)

message 30: by Vi (new)

Vi | 2012 comments I finished Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5) by Jim Butcher which I really liked. I'm getting hooked into this series as of this book.

I've started No Regrets (Delta Force, #1) by Shannon K. Butcher - a Rom-Susp. I'm only about 70 pages in but I already have the H/h starting to lust - and that is after the h was drugged and about to be kidnapped. Is that the point where you decide to lust after your rescuer knowing absolutely zero things - not even if he's a good guy?? Aarghh. I feel like discontinuing the book but I need it for a challenge. :( :(

message 31: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 9251 comments Ronyell wrote: "I'm currently reading Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta and it's pretty good so far!"

Ronyell, I loved this book, I hope you are enjoying it :)

message 32: by Raine (new)

Raine | 177 comments I have to read a Rom-Susp for a challenge, but I have started three different ones and got bored with all of them after only two chapters. so now I hope Nora Roberts can save me with this and I started The Reef by Nora Roberts. I love Nora Roberts, so this has got to be good. I am also reading Alice in Zombieland (White Rabbit Chronicles, #1) by Gena Showalter and The Darkest Pleasure (Lords of the Underworld, #3) by Gena Showalter

message 33: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (nybutterfly25) | 1 comments I just finished

Bared to You (Crossfire, #1) by Sylvia Day I really enjoyed it. Many people are saying it is almost a complete replica of 50 Shades. I totally disagree. With books like these everyone is going to have issues and carry tons of baggage. There is no BDSM in this book. Lots of sexton but very different from 50. Give it a chance and read it without expecting any thing like another book. You will enjoy it then.

message 34: by Erin (new)

Erin H | 758 comments Finished Wicked Delights of a Bridal Bed (The Byrons of Braebourne, #4) by Tracy Anne Warren and oh how I loved Adam!! Starting The Mephisto Club (Rizzoli & Isles, #6) by Tess Gerritsen

message 35: by Nikki ♥ (new)

Nikki ♥ | 1173 comments Finished Stray (Shifters, #1) by Rachel Vincent and just starting Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, #2) by Cassandra Clare.

message 36: by Aoibhínn (new)

Aoibhínn (aoibhinn) Earlier, I finished reading The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson by Shirley Jackson. I was disappointed by this book to be honest. I felt the novel did not live up to the reputation it has gotten. I just felt like it was missing something. Plus I disliked all the characters and the strange dialogue between them really annoyed me. This is one novel where the movie, or in this case movies, are better than the book. My full review is here.

Next I'm going to read The Witching Hour (Lives of the Mayfair Witches, #1) by Anne Rice by Anne Rice.

Samantha (Book Lover's Cozy Cafe) (SparklyBluEyes) 145 pages into Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1) by Kami Garciaand enjoying it, it's kind of dark, and really it's all still pieces things together, but the intrigue is keeping my focus.

message 38: by Hayley (new)

Hayley (mrsjohnson1985) I have been on a Sandra Brown kick for the past couple of months. Right now I am currently reading::: Ricochet by Sandra Brown

message 39: by Megan (new)

Megan Finished Love Drunk Cowboy (Spikes & Spurs, #1) by Carolyn Brown and currently reading Red's Hot Cowboy (Spikes & Spurs, #2) by Carolyn Brown.

message 40: by Susana (last edited Oct 16, 2012 12:25PM) (new)

Susana (Susana32) | 524 comments I finished The Perfect Play (Play by Play, #1) by Jaci Burtonand now i'm reading Princess of the Midnight Ball (Princess #1) by Jessica Day George.

message 41: by Carrieland (new)

Carrieland | 2 comments What is our November 2012 reads?

message 42: by Filipa (new)

Filipa | 2 comments Hello

I´ve finished reading Switched (Trylle Trilogy, #1) by Amanda Hocking, it´s ok, very Harry Potter´s style, and now i´m reading Voyage of Innocence by Elizabeth Edmondson.

message 43: by Anna (new)

Anna salazar (vanillagirl) | 13 comments Carrieland wrote: "What is our November 2012 reads?"

I am starting with So Over You by Gwen Hayes So Over You by Gwen Hayes and then maybe after it I'll start The Fault In our Stars by John Green
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

message 44: by Carrieland (new)

Carrieland | 2 comments Anna wrote: reads?"

I am starting with So Over You by Gwen Hayes So Over You by Gwen Hayes and then maybe after it I'll start The Fault In our Stars by John ..."

Okay thanks I'll check it out :)

message 45: by Dolores (new)

Dolores | 25 comments Raine wrote: "I have to read a Rom-Susp for a challenge, but I have started three different ones and got bored with all of them after only two chapters. so now I hope Nora Roberts can save me with this and I sta..."

Hi :) I was wondering what you thought of Alice in Zombieland? Would you recommend it?

message 46: by Dolores (new)

Dolores | 25 comments Right now I just finished Naked: the blackstone affair part 1. Can't wait till the second part comes out. Quick question to you ladies... how do you post the book covers on your post?

message 47: by Vi (new)

Vi | 2012 comments Hi Dolores, on top of the comment box, you should have "add book/author". When you click on it, a box should pop-up. Just search the book title and select cover for the book covers and click add. You should see book covers in the post. Hope I was clear.

message 48: by Erin (new)

Erin H | 758 comments Read Just Like Heaven (Smythe-Smith Quartet, #1) by Julia Quinn, it was good! Also read The Keepsake (Rizzoli & Isles #7) by Tess Gerritsen-excellent!! Starting If the Slipper Fits (Cinderella Sisterhood, #1) by Olivia Drake and Ice Cold (Rizzoli & Isles, #8) by Tess Gerritsen.

message 49: by Susana (new)

Susana (Susana32) | 524 comments Finished two great books : And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1) by Tasha Alexander and Romeo Redeemed (Juliet Immortal #2) by Stacey Jay.
Today i will try to finish Switched (Trylle Trilogy, #1) by Amanda Hockingwhich so far, i'm enjoying!

message 50: by Anna (new)

Anna salazar (vanillagirl) | 13 comments Carrieland wrote: Okay thanks I'll check it o..."

If you haven't read The fault in the stars, i suggest you should. It would totally be worth reading. :))

« previous 1