Terminalcoffee discussion

General Fuckery > The moistening kettle

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17340 comments Mod
steam wards off flu virus!

I love it when old wives' tales are validated by science. And what a cool job, to be an Oregon State "atmospheric scientist who specializes in ties between climate and disease transmission"

message 2: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments Whoo-hoo! Go Oregon. It's prolly cause living in such a moisture-laden climate, we are always trying to figure out how to fight off the flu.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Now I'm in the mood for tea. Not that that's unusual for me, though.

message 4: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Ma Kettle

[image error]

message 5: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) When it's really dry, the maple flooring shrinks in my loft. So much so that the crappy filler they put between the board cracks and falls out. I need a humidifier big time.

message 6: by Lori (new)

Lori Oh I thought this thread finally addressed my most irritating moments of life. Waiting for the kettle to boil to make my morning cup of coffee. Did you ever think of the hours of our lives wasted, wasted I'm telling ya, waiting for the god damn water to boil! Immobilized, staring helplessly, all because I'm useless until I have some coffee!

message 7: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments Um, Lori... they have these new fangled inventions called automatic drip coffee makers that you can actually program to start 10 mins before you wake up. In fact, if you go to Gevalia.com you might score one for free in one of their promos.

Just trying to be helpful. :)

message 8: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I'm a humidifier whore. This is interesting. I like steam. I like fog...this time of year we get a lot of fog off the lake.

I'm just drinking my coffee now, so I'm not very articulate.

message 9: by Lori (last edited Feb 10, 2009 02:56AM) (new)

Lori Sherrie, that would be great except I don't wake up at any set time.

Meanwhile, RA is up, and I haven't gone to bed yet. We must be one different brane universes.

message 10: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i boil water and then use a french press to make coffee. i usually only need about a cup and a half anyway plus it makes me feel like a gentleman explorer when i use it (even though i am smack dab in the midwest) i did actually get it to be able to make coffee anywhere i can boil water when i travel

message 11: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Holy crap, Lori...I know you're on the west coast, but that was still past two then, right?

I woke late today, about 4:15:)

message 12: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I'm expecting a "look who's calling the kettle black" joke here somewhere...

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I make coffee with a French press, too. Way better than drip coffee, and it feels more ritualistic, which I like.

message 14: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Yes Jackie. Active v. passive.

message 15: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24315 comments Mod
Really? French press is much better? Is it stronger? Does it require more grounds? Do some grounds get into the water?

message 16: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I like it an awful lot. I've only had it in restaurants, though. Never noticed a lot of grounds in it.

message 17: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments french press is wonderful. i have one that i travel with and it makes a great cup of coffee. plus i can use it in really remote locations where i only need hot water and can have coffee

message 18: by Sally, la reina (new)

i think it is better coffee.

message 19: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments We have a French press and it does make terrific coffee. But I've fallen into the habit of using the automatic drip machine lately because it requires less thought. That's kind of lame, actually. Maybe I'll try to figure out where we put the press and give it another try.

message 20: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I use French press now. The librarian hooked me on it.

message 21: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments and i talk like Lumiere when making coffee with mine

message 22: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Do you dance?

message 23: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments yes. to the tune of Be Our Guest

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I made French press coffee again this morning, but I made it a little too strong. Whoo, still a little jittery!

message 25: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments yup, you can def make it strong like this.

message 26: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I like how this French press thread is categorized "unbearable."

message 27: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

"The Moistening Kettle" sounds like the name of a Renaissance paranormal historical fiction novel.

message 28: by Sally, la reina (new)

I remember those thread categories! Awww.

message 29: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7133 comments I read a recipe today for making cold brew coffee (it steeps overnight) in a french press pot. You could use it in Africa, Kevin, then you wouldn't need to heat up any water!

message 30: by Sally, la reina (new)

I have one. Quality water, however, is key. We needed a filter to use ours.

message 31: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7133 comments Oh, yes Sally.

message 32: by Sally, la reina (new)

::preens::

message 33: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Preener.

message 34: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Wonders if one can preen and writhe at the same time?

message 35: by Jammies (new)

Jammies I bet Sally can!

message 36: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments That Sally sure is a multitasker.

message 37: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) A multitisker, too.

message 38: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11676 comments And a green and yellow basker?

message 39: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven)

message 40: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments hmmmmm cynthia. interesting. share please

message 41: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7133 comments "Still, a carafe of concentrate remained fresh over a week, with no dulling of flavor. It even avoided absorbing the tastes of the newsroom refrigerator's other contents -- possibly the first beverage ever to avoid that fate.

Potential uses kept emerging. Camping trips. Coffee ice cubes for undiluted iced lattes."
Source: MSNBC column on cold brew.

Sorry, Kevin I can't find that recipe now.