Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '09 - '10 > Rachel Caine

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jess (last edited Feb 09, 2009 06:36PM) (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I saw Rachel Caine's new book in B&N, Undone. But when I read the description on the back it mentioned her other series (weather warden's I think?).

I have the first book Ill Wind (from the Weather Warden series) on my list but I just wanted to know if I had to read that first. Does anyone know?

message 2: by Liz (new)

Liz (arcanepenguin) | 77 comments Ill Wind is the First book in the Weather Warden Series, and Undone is the first book in a different series. It seems to be in the same "world" as the weather warden series. I haven't read Undone yet, so I can't tell you if you need to have knowledge of the world to understand it or not.

message 3: by Kasia (last edited Feb 12, 2009 01:31PM) (new)

Kasia I'm 3 chapters into Undone, and I've read all the Weather Warden series that came up so far.

Undone is first in series, and you don't need to read anything prior to it. However, if you have Ill Wind, or you plan on reading it, I'd recommend you start with that because:

1: Ill Wind is better (though Undone is pretty good too, personal opinion of course)
2: Undone features characters from Weather Wardens, which is a spoiler to the storyline...

message 4: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Kasia wrote: "I'm 3 chapters into..."

I've read it, liked it, previous post still stands.

message 5: by Jesika (new)

Jesika i love Rachel Caines' Morganville Vampire Series ! they were wonderful ! Read them if you haven't already !

message 6: by Brien (new)

Brien Jones (brienjonesharvestcom) Now we're talking! We have two spectacular Vampire books at Jones Harvest Publihing! One is "Dragula" by Ben Sheldon, not too hard to figure out THAT plot.

Another is "Revenge of the Damned" by Erin Pugh.

Make that three! I forgot the best one of all! "The Hidden" by Charol Messenger!

message 7: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments So I am currently reading the Morganville series, and loving it! It's one of those series that once you get into it, you don't want to stop reading! But I was wondering, does she have any short stories that go along with this series. I saw that she has short stories in a bunch of different anthologies, but does anyone know if any of them go with these books?

message 8: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) Kelley Anne wrote: "So I am currently reading the Morganville series, and loving it! It's one of those series that once you get into it, you don't want to stop reading! But I was wondering, does she have any short s..."

There's a short story in Many Bloody Returns - Tales of Birthdays with Bite that is about Eve. Seems to me there is another one, too, but can't place it right now.

message 9: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Thanks! I'll have to check it out.

message 10: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1831 comments The Eve short really made me appreciate her character more. Until that, I was sort of ambivalent towards her for some reason. Love Morganville. Hate the cliffhanger endings now that I'm all caught up and have to wait for the new one!

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura | 6 comments I always catch myself reading the beginning chapters of the next book on her website which always leave bigger cliff hangers and make you mad cause you want to read it right away but you have like 3 months to wait.

message 12: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1831 comments Laura, girl, I know what you mean!

So, question to those who have read both Morganville and Weather Wardens...does Wardens have the same dedication to world-building and to keeping the momentum going? I know one is YA and the other adult...is Wardens the same level of oomph, but more complicated and juicy?

Does that question even make sense to anyone?! :)

message 13: by Jan Lewis, (new)

Jan Lewis, Author Sidekick (authorsidekick) DefinitelyWith both series, I can't put a book down until I finish it.

1 hour and 48 minutes until I can download my Cape Storm ebook. Woot!

message 14: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1831 comments Thanks, Jan!

Lol. Love the countdown. Enjoy!

message 15: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I'm really enjoying the Morganville series so far. What are the Weather Wardens about? Which series do you think is better?

message 16: by Melodie (last edited Aug 04, 2009 07:28AM) (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) Kelley Anne wrote: "I'm really enjoying the Morganville series so far. What are the Weather Wardens about? Which series do you think is better?"

I prefer the Morganville books. I read at least the first 3 of the Weather Wardens and could never really get into them. I just never really cared about the lead character whose name I can't even remember at the moment. I did like her djinn boyfriend, tho. I think his name is David.

message 17: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) Jesika =) wrote: "i love Rachel Caines' Morganville Vampire Series ! they were wonderful ! Read them if you haven't already !"

I would have to disagree with that. I don't know why but her Morganville vamps just...I don't know they bored me I couldn't get into it.

message 18: by Jan Lewis, (new)

Jan Lewis, Author Sidekick (authorsidekick) I really like both of them, but I like Weather Wardens better because of the steaminess. David is just toooo smokin hot. I think one of Rachel Caine's greatest talents is sexual tension. She writes the steamiest non-explicit scenes I've ever read.

message 19: by K (new)

K | 51 comments Kyle wrote: "I would have to disagree with that. I don't know why but her Morga..."

So you couldn't get into them either? I thought I was the only one. I really like the weather warden books though.

message 20: by K (new)

K | 51 comments I just realized that somehow I totally missed Undone completely! I'll have to grab it with Cape Storm tomorrow.

message 21: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) Kendra wrote: "Kyle wrote: "I would have to disagree with that. I don't know why but her Morga..."

So you couldn't get into them either? I thought I was the only one. I really like the weather warden books thou..."

I saw Undone today in BAM but...I don't know if I want to read it or not...

message 22: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) Kendra wrote: "I just realized that somehow I totally missed Undone completely! I'll have to grab it with Cape Storm tomorrow. "

I have this one in The Pile somewhere. Need to dig it out.

message 23: by Jan Lewis, (new)

Jan Lewis, Author Sidekick (authorsidekick) Kyle - I really enjoyed Undone. I think it's going to be a great spin-off series.

message 24: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (FoxyGrandma) I love the weather warden books but I have never been able to get into the Morganville ones. I think I just am too old for all the teenage/young adult angst. I had the same problem with Twilight.

message 25: by Melodie (last edited Aug 06, 2009 07:41AM) (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) Beth wrote: "I love the weather warden books but I have never been able to get into the Morganville ones. I think I just am too old for all the teenage/young adult angst. I had the same problem with Twilight."

I thought I'd have problems with YA when I read TWILIGHT a couple of years ago. I was 51 at the time which is WAAAAYYY past the target group, but I really loved it, as well as the next 3. Have read lots of YA since and have rarely been disappointed. The Vampire Kisses being one series that was very disappointing, but my younger niece wanted me to read them since her older sister & I share a love for a lot of the same books. There is some really good UF out there in YA field.

message 26: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I really love a lot of the YA books out there. In fact, the 2 best books I've read all year were YA - The Book Thief and The Hunger Games.

message 27: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) Kelley Anne wrote: "I really love a lot of the YA books out there. In fact, the 2 best books I've read all year were YA - The Book Thief and The Hunger Games."

I agree. 2 of my best books so far this year are also YA.

message 28: by Laura (new)

Laura | 6 comments You know I really enjoyed the first couple weather warden books but after fire storm i just couldnt seem to keep as much focus reading them like i did the others. I tend to go back and forth in my reading so who knows.

message 29: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Yeah! I finally got my hands on Ill Wind and plan on reading it this weekend. One of my friends had the entire Weather Warden series on pdf and let me have them!

message 30: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments That was nice of her Kelley Anne!! Let me know what you think about the book... I wasn't a big fan of Ill Wind.

message 31: by Evangeline (new)

Evangeline (evangeline9) | 16 comments I am just starting Firestorm which is the fifth book in the Weather Warden series. I have to say, I love this series. Not just because it has great and interesting characters. But because it's different than a lot of other 'paranormal' books out there. Also, I really like it because it's more complex than what I'm used to reading.
One thing though, I am a little sad there's only going to be 9 books. :(

message 32: by Olivia (new)

Olivia | 5 comments There's only gonna be nine books! Oh, no! My life will never be the same again!
Just kidding!
I just recently started Firestorm but I didn't finish cause I had to give it back to the library. They wouldn't let me renew it anymore. I am at page 100 or something but I just can't seem to lose myself in it anymore, that's why I had to renew it so many times, I just couldn't get myself to read it. I liked them a lot before she started obsessing about David so much, it's just kind of annoying.
*SPOILER ALERT* If you haven't finished Windfall don't read this!
I really don't like that Imara just suddenly became a part of the story. It was just too sudden for me and kinda turned me off to the series.
*SPOILER ALERT OVER*
Well that's it! I still recommend the series though!

message 33: by Evangeline (new)

Evangeline (evangeline9) | 16 comments Olivia: Firestorm was by far the hardest book to get through of the series. It is just an info dump and somewhat uninteresting.
I'm really sorry to hear that you don't like Imara, if you ever do continue the series you will, most likely, love her.

message 34: by Narnies (new)

Narnies I completely understand what you're talking about Olivia, I stopt after reading book 4 because i thought Imara came along too quickly and i haven't gone back since... maybe i will though...maybe.

message 35: by Dawn, Reading Guru (new)

Dawn (DawnV) | 3952 comments While I really like the Morganville vampire series sometimes I want to throttle that Clare and Shane. Plus I always feel like Clare and Micheal should be a couple.

I have forgotten about the weather series thanks for the reminder.

message 36: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Everytime I try to get the first Morganville book out of the library it's checked out. It just makes me want to read it more now. grr.

message 37: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (Sunnytat462) | 3072 comments I tired the Weather Warden series but couldn't get into it and decided that I wouldn't try the new series as it is set in the same world.

I love the Morganville Vamp's. I think I read the first 6 books in one weekend. Which considering the cliff hanger endings was a good thing.

I didn't know about the Eve short story so will have to check it out.

message 38: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I couldn't stand the first book in the Weather Warden series either. bleh!

message 39: by Dawn, Reading Guru (new)

Dawn (DawnV) | 3952 comments @ Jess that sucks because I just traded it on paperbackswap.com

message 40: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) Dawn wrote: "While I really like the Morganville vampire series sometimes I want to throttle that Clare and Shane. Plus I always feel like Clare and Micheal should be a couple.

I have forgotten about the weat..."

Morganville Vamps is one of my VERY favorite series!! I can't picture Michael with Clare. He belongs with Eve and Shane belongs with Clare. I read the first 4 Weather Wardens books, I think. They weren't bad, but I got tired of them. I am SO looking forward to KISS OF DEATH!

message 41: by ~Kate~ (new)

~Kate~ (katesbooklife) | 347 comments i love her morganville series i love all the characters which doesnt usually happen but she just writes each character in a way that just makes you fall in love with them

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (DarkHeart) | 437 comments I've fallen out of love with Eve and I think Shane got off entirely too easy in the last book - but I adore the series and can't wait for the next book.