dateDown arrow    newest »

Rosemary | 559 comments Mod
October 2012 group read, from both editions of the Guide

Graded: medium

Further reading:
Between Silk and Cyanide: A Codemaker's War, 1941-1945 by Leo Marks
Fair Stood the Wind for France by H.E. Bates
Keeper by Mal Peet

message 2: by Corren (last edited Oct 09, 2012 11:43AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Corren | 105 comments From the blurb I thought this would be more about the girl. In fact it's much more about her grandparents in the war. I thought it was very good though.

message 3: by Carrie (last edited Oct 11, 2012 09:26AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Carrie | 77 comments The war story was SO powerful. It kept me awake thinking about it.

I was pretty glad there wasn't so much of the modern story. I thought Tamar's parents were both crazy! (view spoiler)

Corren | 105 comments Why do you think her mother would be more likely to let her go if it was her boyfriend?

message 5: by Carrie (last edited Oct 14, 2012 09:33AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Carrie | 77 comments Corren, I was thinking of a friend whose daughter was going steady at that age - I think my friend would have let her daughter go on a short vacation with her boyfriend. But if they're not in a relationship, a parent would worry that the girl might be persuaded or even forced into doing things she wouldn't consent to if she was at home. That's much worse.