Richard III discussion

Hastings, guilty or in the wrong place at the wrong time?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 1139 comments Mod
You guys know way more than me. What do you think and was Richard out of line for executing him without trial?

message 2: by Darkpool (new)

Darkpool | 91 comments Yeah, I do think he was out of line. It seems out of character for someone who appeared to champion justice at other times, so I can only imagine that he fell victim to the Plantagenet temper: my preferred interpretation of what happened is that Richard only just found out about Hasting's involvement in the plot - maybe even in the course of the meeting - and the sense of personal betrayal provoked a passionate fury. I've read so much fiction and non-fiction over the years that I couldn't say where I've assimilated this view from. Is this Penman's take on the story? Wouldn't surprise me.

message 3: by Misfit (new)

I can't recall, it's been several years since I've read Penman's book.

message 4: by Ikonopeiston (last edited Feb 10, 2009 07:41PM) (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments I think most novelists and historians agree that Richard knew about the betrayal before he convened the meeting. I think it was a combination of anger at Hastings' switch to the other side and a simmering resentment against the man. Richard most possibly held Hastings at least partly to blame for Edward's death and, hence, responsible for the entire boondoggle. By executing Hastings, Richard not only protected his own flank and set a vivid example to deter other traitors but also avenged Edward in a sort of twisted way.

I also have a private conviction that when he left the meeting for a brief while, Richard went to throw up - knowing what he was going to do.

Richard was known to behave rashly upon occasion. He was impulsive rather than conniving. I suspect this was one of those times when he did not rein himself in, for whatever reasons he might have had.

message 5: by Misfit (new)

Thanks Ikon. I am dying to talk about Seventh Son (about 150 pages left), how about you?

message 6: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments We must control ourselves. It is good discipline for later life. (I am fair to bursting wanting to discuss some of the things I noted. I have three pages of a notebook filled with commentary.) Aaaargh!

message 7: by MAP (new)

MAP | 181 comments I'm on page 12. You have to wait!

message 8: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments MAP - no sleep for you! Stay up and read!!!

message 9: by Misfit (new)

Ikon, three pages of commentary? MAP, only page 12??? Read read read, I will be done by the weekend, although I have more will power than Ikon. As long as I can write my review (although I'll behave and not post it). Then I can get on to The King's Grey Mare. I read in a review at Amazon UK that this book takes Elizabeth into her daughter's marriage with Henry VII.

message 10: by Barb (new)

Barb | 145 comments Hey,
I hope you're going to wait for me too!

message 11: by Barb (new)

Barb | 145 comments Hey,
I hope you're going to wait for me too!

message 12: by Misfit (new)

Yes, we're waiting for you too. Hurry hurry hurry. It does go quite quickly once you're into it though.

message 13: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments Barb. we would not dream of leaving you behind. Misfit and I will just have to possess our souls in patience. We can write our reviews and then revise them after we get our minds changed in discussion. ;)