Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

Good Buys > October 2012 Purchases

Comments (showing 1-35 of 35) (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (BlueManticore) | 1824 comments Mod
October has arrived. Share your purchases for this month here.

message 2: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy I purchased a copy of Night Stalkers by Michael Hawke for $3.99 total. I don't usually read fiction, but I'm looking forward to trying the first book of this trilogy out.

message 3: by Paulfozz (last edited Oct 03, 2012 08:59AM) (new)

Paulfozz Picked up a hardback copy of Alan Bennett's Untold Stories in a charity shop on my walk home for £2. Nice to find, I rather fancied reading more of Bennet's work after hugely enjoying The Uncommon Reader.

Untold Stories by Alan Bennett

Mariel (TheCrownedGoddessReads) (Marieru) | 88 comments Bought a copy of Galaor by Hugo Hiriart for 0.56 cents. Also, Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury not that cheap.

message 5: by Lawrence (last edited Oct 03, 2012 05:27PM) (new)

Lawrence | 108 comments My October purchases are:

The Enemy Within by Sheila L. Jackson &
Through The Eyes of God (I am fearfully and wonderfully made) by Sheila L. Jackson

Both books are by Sheila Jackson

message 6: by Joseph (new)

Just bought: Bonk! A Mutts Treasury by Patrick McDonnell Shadow of the Hawk (Wereworld, #3) by Curtis Jobling Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Carnival Crime by Donald J. Sobol Collected Poems of Emily Dickinson by Mabel Loomis Todd Suddenly Silver Celebrating 25 Years of For Better or For Worse by Lynn Johnston

message 7: by Shannon (new)

Shannon  (bookjunkie57) | 349 comments I didn't get a book but I got my Kindle Paperwhite in the mail yesterday. Didn't have much time to fiddle with it last night but can't wait to go home tonight and play with the new features.

message 8: by Lawrence (new)

Lawrence | 108 comments I got Micro by Michael Crichton at the library (hardcover) for 50 cents. :)

Micro by Michael Crichton

message 9: by Kate (new)

Kate (KateKSH) | 13 comments The Sense of an Ending The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes The reviews were so good I had to have it.
Got a signed copy of When it Happens to You When it Happens to You by Molly Ringwald

message 10: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. (TheReadingRebel) | 130 comments I just bought Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1) by Tahereh Mafi

message 11: by Joseph (new)

Nicole D. wrote: "I just boughtShatter Me (Shatter Me, #1) by Tahereh Mafi"

Great book with some amazing quotable lines in it. I gave it 4 stars.

message 12: by Rhianna (new)

Rhianna Clawson I bought: Shark Bait (Grab Your Pole #1) by Jenn Cooksey

message 13: by Connie (new)

Connie (Corelia) | 11 comments So far I have bought The Bell Jar The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

message 14: by Thom (new)

Thom Swennes (Yorrick) | 592 comments I Hear America Talking An Illustrated Treasury of American Words and Phrases by Stuart Flexner When the Killing's Done by T.C. Boyle The Man Who Disappeared by Clare Morrall Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult Europeans by Jane Kramer and I upgraded by buying hardback volumes of "Four Novels The Brontë Sisters and Executive Orders by Tom Clancy.

message 15: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (eclecticreading) I bought Pamuk's My Name is Red, Giordano's The Solitude of Prime Numbers and Barry's A Long Long Way from the used bookstore today.

Then I ordered Barnes' The Sense of an Ending (loved the book so much, needed a copy of my own), Weiland's Outlining Your Novel: Map Your Way to Success and Bell's Revision & Self-Editing: Techniques for transforming your first draft into a finished novel from the Book Depository just now *blushes*

message 16: by Joseph (new)

Went to a book signing last night and got Shades of Grey (Shades of Grey, #1) by Jasper Fforde, The Woman Who Died A Lot (Thursday Next. #7) by Jasper Fforde, and The Last Dragonslayer (The Last Dragonslayer, #1) by Jasper Fforde signed by Jasper Fforde.
Also got Into the Woods Tales from the Hollows and Beyond  by Kim Harrison delivered.

message 17: by Paulfozz (new)

Paulfozz I found three Terry Pratchett hardbacks in a charity shop today, which cost me £4 for the three:
The Fifth Elephant (Discworld, #24) by Terry Pratchett The Truth (Discworld, #25) by Terry Pratchett The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents (Discworld, #28) by Terry Pratchett

The Truth and The Fifth Elephant were both books of his that I'd been thinking recently I'd like to have hardback copies of, so finding both was bizarre (in a very good way!). I also found a copy of Bill Oddie's 'Birding' book for the princely sum of 80p:

Birding With Bill Oddie A Practical Guide to Birdwatching by Bill Oddie

message 18: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. (TheReadingRebel) | 130 comments I just ordered The Black Moth by Georgette Heyeroff amazon.

message 19: by Shannon (new)

Shannon  (bookjunkie57) | 349 comments Some random choices while out shopping today. Keeper of the Waters (Daughter of Destiny #2) by Jenna Solitaire The Secret Rites of Social Butterflies by Lizabeth Zindel and The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold

message 20: by Paulfozz (new)

Paulfozz Day 13 and I'm already up to 10 books - haven't spent that much though, unlike some months when I'd been buying lots of New Naturalists!

Yesterday I received On Sparrows And Man A Love Hate Relationship by J. Denis Summers-Smith in the post, and in local charity shops I picked up these:

The Lynmouth Flood Disaster by Eric R. Delderfield, Longitude by Dava Sobel, At the Edge of the World 3500 BC-1603 AD (A History of Britain, #1) by Simon Schama, Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson

the four of which cost me just over £6.

message 21: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (drnaah) I only joined this group tonight, but my purchases include:
The Round House
The Yellow Birds
The Casual Vacancy
Mr Penumbra's 24 hour Bookstore
The Girl With The Borrowed Wings
The Twelve
Days of Blood and Starlight (pre-ordered)

message 22: by Veronika (last edited Oct 14, 2012 07:15PM) (new)

Veronika Went to Goodwill today and got 4 almost brand new books for $1!!!
All books I've never read but that have been on my TBR pile for a while
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen, Shades of Grey The Road to High Saffron by Jasper Fforde, A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess, and Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison

message 23: by Thom (new)

Thom Swennes (Yorrick) | 592 comments God bless the Goodwill!!

message 24: by Paulfozz (new)

Paulfozz Found a copy of the last book in the series of Simon Schama's History of Britain. The completist in me made me buy it... it was a pretty good price though. I think I may need to put myself on a book-buying embargo!

The Fate of Empire, 1776-2000 (A History of Britain, #3) by Simon Schama

A book away from an episode of hoarders (fidgit77) | 45 comments I have to share this with ya'll because I know that you will understand but I just had to give in and I finally pre-ordered:
Dead Ever After (Sookie Stackhouse, #13) by Charlaine Harris Lover At Last (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #11) by J.R. Ward Frost Burned (Mercedes Thompson, #7) by Patricia Briggs Born of Fury (The League, #7) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Mate Claimed (Shifters Unbound, #4) by Jennifer Ashley Trapped (Iron Druid Chronicles, #5) by Kevin Hearne Inferno (Chronicles of Nick, #4) by Sherrilyn Kenyon

not to mention that I recently bought:
Sacrificial Magic (Downside Ghosts, #4) by Stacia Kane Chasing Magic (Downside Ghosts, #5) by Stacia Kane Night Reigns (Immortal Guardians, #2) by Dianne Duvall Phantom Shadows (Immortal Guardians, #3) by Dianne Duvall

message 27: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 10 comments October has been a crazy month, I bought The Vampire Lestat and Tale of the Body Thief by Anne Rice in Hardbound for a $1 each at this used book store I found, so there I was able to add to my Anne Rice Collection, then I bought Heat Wave and in the Company of Vampires by Katie MacAlister at the public library for $0.25 each, and then found The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson, Crouching Vampire Hidden Fang by Katie MacAlister, Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs, and Haunted by your Touch by Jeanine Forst at a garage sell for $.50 for all of them together and then I bought Wicked Business by Janet Evanovich for full price at B&N

message 28: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (herbtiff) | 406 comments The Candy Shop War by Brandon Mull by Brandon Mull. He also signed the book. Going to the book launch party on Friday!

message 29: by Jan (new)

Jan (Citereh) | 39 comments I have been on a book buying spree this entire month! My TBR shelves were looking entirely too sparse, and I found some great deals. Some of my finds are;

Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel, $6 Hardcover
To Hold the Crown by Jean Plaidy, $.25 PB
The Archer's Tale, Bernard Cornwell, $.99 Hardcover
The Burning Land, Bernard Cornwell, $1.99 Hardcover
The Shadow of the Wind, Carlos Zafon, $5 Hardcover
Servant of Slaves, Grace Irwin, $1 Hardcover
Dissolution, C.J. Sansom, $2.50 Hardcover
Dark Fire, C.J. Sansome, $1.99 Hardcover
The Heaven Tree Trilogy, Edith Pargeter, $5.90
Noble House, James Clavell, free Hardcover
Ladysmith, Giles Fodwn, free Hardcover
And for my son-in-law's birthday, 5 PB Forgotten Realm titles for $10.

These are good prices for my small town. We have the library (in danger of closing unless a tax passes the vote in Nov) and one bookstore. I rarely find anything at this bookstore! They have lots of fantasy, romance, current fiction, lots of paperbacks. Most of my books are found on-line except for occasional local finds.

message 30: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. (TheReadingRebel) | 130 comments I just bought The Lost Prince (The Iron Fey Call of the Forgotten, #1) by Julie Kagawawhen it came out on the 23rd.I have been waiting for this book ever sense I read the iron fey series a few months ago.

message 31: by Thom (last edited Oct 27, 2012 06:21AM) (new)

Thom Swennes (Yorrick) | 592 comments Flags of Our Fathers by James Bradley The Geographer's Library by Jon Fasman Running Scared by Lisa Jackson Battle For Singapore by Peter Thompson Split Second by David Baldacci In The Company Of Liars by David Ellis The Innocent Man by John Grisham The SS A New History by Adrian Weale The Chemistry of Death (David Hunter, #1) by Simon Beckett Strike Force by Dale Brown We, the Drowned by Carsten Jensen Line Of Control by Tom Clancy The Bear and the Dragon (Jack Ryan, #11) by Tom Clancy Bio-Strike by Jerome Preisler I found an empty shelf in my library that begged to be filled. Blindsighted / Kisscut (Grant County, #1, #2) by Karin Slaughter

message 32: by Ilean (new)

Ilean (IleanFulton) | 239 comments I have not bought anything this month. Bit I intend to go to a bookfair sale next Saturday.

message 33: by Joseph (new)

My last purchases of October: Written in Stone (A Books by the Bay, #4) by Ellery Adams Grimm Fairy Tales Presents The Jungle Book by Mark Miller

message 34: by Ilean (new)

Ilean (IleanFulton) | 239 comments I was disappointed with today's library booksale.Also, I did not have much time to spend there. But, I did buy 2 books - hardback "The Ambassadors" by Henry James $1.00, and "Lost December" by Richard Paul Evans $1.00.

message 35: by Vikki (last edited Nov 04, 2012 09:29AM) (new)

Vikki (silverstarz) | 65 comments A Winter Flame by Milly Johnson Kiss Me Under the Mistletoe by Fiona Harper Dinner With a Vampire (The Dark Heroine, #1) by Abigail Gibbs Black Dawn (The Morganville Vampires, #12) by Rachel Caine
The Chronicles of Downton Abbey A New Era by Jessica Fellowes - this is gonna be an Xmas pressie for me though.