UnWholly (Unwind, #2) UnWholly discussion

Disjointed? (No pun intended)

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

InYourFaceNewYorker Would it be in poor taste to say that the PARTS of this book were better than the WHOLE? Or that it was DISJOINTED? In any case, it was an okay read, but not as tight as its predecessor. Individual stories were interesting, but there were just too many of them. Too many characters to focus on as well. The first book did a better job in that it focused on just three characters and was not constantly jumping from one story to the next and back again.

What does everybody think?

Aurora I agree with what you said. Nevertheless, I enjoyed it immensely. The first book felt more connected with a simpler plot point. This book felt a little convoluted and somewhat hard to follow. I think it's because now Shusterfeld has added the teenage rebellion stuff in there to make it into a trilogy, instead of just a survival book. I wasn't disappointed in the least with this book though.

InYourFaceNewYorker Aurora wrote: "I agree with what you said. Nevertheless, I enjoyed it immensely. The first book felt more connected with a simpler plot point. This book felt a little convoluted and somewhat hard to follow. I thi..."

It just seemed like it was a lot of bits and pieces and was much longer than it needed to be to tell the same story.

message 4: by W (new) - rated it 4 stars

W I do think that adding more characters (and thereby adding more storylines) did give it a different feel as you're reading it, but I wasn't really disappointed at all. I kind of wonder, though, if it couldn't have been just as interesting just from the perspectives of the new characters, since Cam's storyline intersects Risa's, Starkey's intersects Conner's, and Mira's intersect's Lev's, so we would find out what happened to them, too, just from an outside perspective.

InYourFaceNewYorker W wrote: "I do think that adding more characters (and thereby adding more storylines) did give it a different feel as you're reading it, but I wasn't really disappointed at all. I kind of wonder, though, if..."

I would have liked to see an installment of this series totally devoted to the tithes. I have strong opinions about religion and I could easily see something like this happening. Just look at the suicide bombers and honor killings that take place.

Rachel Alice I actually thought it worked quite well. There might have been a few too many points of view, but Shusterman is such a good writer that I never really left the story. Seriously, he should be way more popular than he is.

Helen I think the number of point of views were difficult to process at times. I also think the author's heavy handed tone verged on didactic, showing his lack of trust in his readership to draw similar conclusions to what he wanted to communicate. At times I felt the same message was being said over and over again. I wanted to say "I get it, okay."