Cozy Mystery Corner discussion

Featured Series and Cozies > Jocelyn Shore (Death on Tour) - Janice Hamrick

Comments (showing 1-31 of 31) (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by jaxnsmom (last edited Sep 30, 2012 06:38PM) (new)

jaxnsmom | 2038 comments Mod
October

Death on Tour (Jocelyn Shore, #1) by Janice Hamrick Death on Tour

This thread is for discussing all books in the Jocelyn Shore series. If you're talking about a specific book, please include the cover and it's number in the series.

Death Makes the Cut by Janice Hamrick, Death Rides Again (2013)

message 2: by Kat (new)

Kat McKay | 13 comments Ok, I've ordered the book through my library and am awaiting it's arrival! Now, how does one join the group discussion of this book? Just refer back to this post?

message 3: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 26 comments Just add a comment in here! It is next on my list -- I can't wait!!

message 4: by LynnB (new)

LynnB I'm reading this one today. It sounds good -- we'll see :)

message 5: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Halfway through. I am enjoying it so far.

message 6: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 659 comments I finished Death on Tour today. I don't want to give any spoilers but I will say I loved the theme. I have always had a huge interest in Egypt. My kids and I have watched the Mummy movies over and over again. We went to the King Tut exhibit and have read other books about Egypt. One thing that was really funny was that I was reading the book and The Mummy came on tv so I watched it and then went back to reading and the movie was referred to in the books.

message 7: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 26 comments I finished it today as well. I had trouble getting into it,but once I did, I REALLY liked it.

Fanficfan44, I chose this one because I too would LOVE to go to Egypt! It is the place I would most like to see, and I almost made it there a few years ago, but then the political situation got messy again and we didn't go. At this point, I can't see it stabilizing enough in the near future for me to be comfortable leaving my kids and going.

Last year I did a tour *just* like this one, though in Costa Rica and Panama. I have to wonder if the author based this book off of a Lindblad/ National Geographic tour?? I know they had one in Egypt until recently (several people on our trip raved about the Egypt trip!)

Anyway, the setting made it really fun and I thought the author put in a lot of good detail about the places visited by the tour.

message 8: by LynnB (new)

LynnB I enjoyed it also. The way the author wrote it, with all the travelogue information, was interesting and informative. The mystery was well-written. I'll try her second book.

Iamabibliophile | 201 comments Went to pick up this one at the library today and they had pulled it and shipped it to another branch! I have to wait another day or two to get it...GRRRR!

message 10: by Randa (new)

Randa | 175 comments Finished.

I too really enjoyed the travel information; it was descriptive enough without becoming boring.

I enjoyed the characters, again just enough description to form a visual without being hammered with inane detail. I could definitely see myself in the insecurities of Jocelyn.

Overall a good book. I too may continue reading the next book....just looked it up was hoping for another travel adventure alas not to be.

message 11: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 26 comments Randa wrote: "Finished.

Overall a good book. I too may continue reading the next book....just looked it up was hoping for another travel adventure alas not to be. "

I know -- I was hoping that her romance would mean that she had an excuse to do more travelling!

message 12: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Ashley FL wrote: "Randa wrote: "Finished.

Overall a good book. I too may continue reading the next book....just looked it up was hoping for another travel adventure alas not to be. "
I know -- I was hoping that he..."

I think these are going to be based around the fact she's a high school teacher in Texas, though I was hoping for the travel, too.

message 13: by Randa (new)

Randa | 175 comments LynnB wrote: "Ashley FL wrote: "Randa wrote: "Finished.

I know -- I w..."

Hamrick definitely (in my opinion) has a wonderful way of describing the surroundings. She did on occasion get a little too wordy and you would have to skip ahead a sentence or two but overall she made Egypt's tourist areas sound wonderfully enticing.

message 14: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 659 comments I also hoped it was to be a travel or group tour themed series. I am disappointed that it will not be. The author did such a good job with all the details on Egypt I would have liked to see a tour set in another country.

message 15: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 107 comments Will start this one this weekend ..looking forward to it!! I've always wanted to travel to Egypt!

message 16: by Iamabibliophile (new)

Iamabibliophile | 201 comments Halfway through...really enjoying this one although I think I have it figured out already. So far so good!

message 17: by Iamabibliophile (new)

Iamabibliophile | 201 comments Have to say I REALLY enjoyed this one. I think it was extremely well thought out, loved the set of charcters, and really identified with the narrator.

Well written and the best of the cozies I've read recently. Couldn't give it 5 stars though because I solved both the mystery and mini-mystery by page 90 or so.

The one thing I will say for sure is that she got a lot of the descriptions of Egypt dead on. It was nice to see it romanticized as well.

I've been there and it was basically a garbage dump covered in shifting sand. The houses were made of cement blocks...no windows, many with no roof or they were literally laced together with bushes. It was rough!

4.5/5.0

message 18: by Iamabibliophile (new)

Iamabibliophile | 201 comments It's been a few days and I keep thinking about how much I enjoyed this one. Think I'm going to read the next one soon!

message 19: by Madonna (new)

Madonna | 4 comments I enjoyed this book. I found the opening slow--started over a couple of times, but eventually either the book or I picked up. I think I found some of the opening too long or too slow or too something. I found Jocelyn engaging and realistic--I'm retired teacher and I, too, have spent Saturdays with iced tea and red pens. There were a few twists I didn't see coming, but I didn't find them distracting. By the end of the book I was looking for the next one, and I'll stick with the beginning if it begins to seem slow; I know there's good stuff coming.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I thought was okay. I'm kind of dissapointed it's not a travel series. Though it did seem slower paced and the mystery was overwhelmingly obvious. I liked the description of Egypt, if the mystery was a tad more interesting I would have enjoyed this book more. But the book seemed to have the romantic themes overwhelm the mystery theme.

message 21: by jaxnsmom (new)

I was looking back through the posts and realized mine wasn't here. I must have done something screwy. Oh well, guess I'll do another one :)

I really liked this book, and had fun reading it. I loved the setting, and the info Hamrick provided about Egypt was interesting. I thought Jocelyn would be a good friend to have, but I don't know about Kyla, I don't have the patience to deal with self-absorbed people. I had to laugh at how upset she got whenever anyone called she and Jocelyn sisters. But Kyla came through for Jocelyn, and redeemed herself. The sisters were a bit overdone, and that made them suspicious to me (and the men looking for the sisters from Utah). I thought the story flowed naturally and I look forward to reading the next one.

message 22: by Michelle (last edited Oct 25, 2012 01:22PM) (new)

Michelle (Shell1567) | 55 comments I actually enjoyed Death on Tour (Jocelyn Shore, #1) by Janice Hamrick. I had a bit of a hard time getting into it. But several pages in it caught my interest. I finished the book and then went on to read the next books in the series. I'm not sure I would have ever picked this book up on my own. But, that is why I enjoy the book club. It is a great way to introduce us to characters we might never have otherwise met!

message 23: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 659 comments Michelle wrote: "I actually enjoyed Death on Tour (Jocelyn Shore, #1) by Janice Hamrick. I had a bit of a hard time getting into it. But several pages in it caught my interest. I finished the book and then went on to read the next b..."

I agree about the reason for joining book club. I sometimes need a push to read something that I wouldn't have normally read.

message 24: by Shirley (new)

Shirley Worley (grandmothergoose) | 47 comments I won Death on Tour (Jocelyn Shore, #1) by Janice Hamrick several months ago here as a Goodreads Giveaway and enjoyed meeting a new author and her characters.

I enjoyed the plot and the vivid descriptions of Egypt, even though I myself am not a traveler. For those of us afraid to fly, it's a great way to see the world in an entertaining manner. I did think it was a little wordy at times, but not enough to keep me from reading her second book, which I also found entertaining. Will be on the lookout for her next book.

message 25: by Kristin (new)

Kristin Nitz (KristinWoldenNitz) | 38 comments I thought that Hamrick really did an excellent job with the setting over all. I had a chance to visit my sister in Egypt before the Arab spring. (See Avatar of me sitting on my camel in front of the Step Pyramid.) had a few quibbles about this and that. It's true, for example, that you only get to visit three tombs in the Valley of the Kings unless you have an unscrupulous ticket taker who'll slide you another one for a few pounds. But visiting King Tut's tomb required an additional fee. Things like that change and evolve!

My sister went on a few cruises, so that felt real enough. As far as I was concerned, DEATH ON TOUR couldn't compete with Elizabeth Peters' NIGHT TRAIN TO MEMPHIS for armchair traveling to Egypt. (Read the other Vicky Bliss books first.)

message 26: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I never like to be negative, but I couldn't even finish this book. I read 100 pages to give it a chance, but it felt like such a chore I stopped putting myself through it. I thought the book was a victim of my just coming off of a Louise Penny book. Sometimes a book seems poorly written after her beautiful way with words. With this one, I just thought the writing amateurish and the observations too catty for me. I wish I could have enjoyed it, because it sounds like a lot of you did.

message 27: by Iamabibliophile (last edited Nov 01, 2012 05:02PM) (new)

Iamabibliophile | 201 comments Stephanie wrote: "I never like to be negative, but I couldn't even finish this book. I read 100 pages to give it a chance, but it felt like such a chore I stopped putting myself through it.""

I understand. I love stories with beautiful, well crafted writing but do not demand it in my cozy mysteries. I want a quick, lovely story and prefer books like Death on Tour...which I thought was well written compared to so many cozies.

I personally do not take to garrulous writing in my cozies. I've only found 2 writers so far that I put in that category. Christie and Sayers. However, I should point out that until I joined this group I never really thought of them as cozies.

That's why I love, love, love this group! It's exposing me to so many new authors and styles. Now, I need to try a Louis Penny book!

message 28: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I know what you mean about Christie and Sayers. I was equally surprised that Penny is considered cozy, although by definition, she is. She's just not a light quick read I associate with cozies.

I hope it didn't sound like I equate wordiness with quality. Quite often after I read a heavier-themed book, I pick up a light cozy. What I should have said was that, at least for me, this particular book didn't hold my attention. A lot of the cozies I read are fast reads with a good amount of humor. This one didn't do it for me. Now I just sound cranky. I'll shut up.

message 29: by jaxnsmom (new)

Hello Cranky :) Nah, you don't sound cranky, just expressing your opinion. If we didn't have different opinions, it wouldn't be any fun. It's great to find new authors here, but there are always going to be ones some of us love and others hate. I think we have enough variety here that everyone should find something they like!

I think Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache technically isn't a cozy since Gamache isn't an amateuer, but we all apply our own feelings to the definition.

message 30: by Iamabibliophile (new)

Iamabibliophile | 201 comments Stephanie wrote: "I know what you mean about Christie and Sayers. I was equally surprised that Penny is considered cozy, although by definition, she is. She's just not a light quick read I associate with cozies.

I..."

Cranky...No not at all! I hope my reply didn't seem cranky either. That's the trouble with not being able to converse in person...words can be read so many ways.

I completely understand. That's the beauty of books...there is something for everyone. :)

message 31: by jaxnsmom (new)

As long as it's not mean or condescending, we're all allowed to express our opinion, positive or negative, on books or authors.

And we're all allowed to be cranky. Just put a disclaimer at the end of your post :)