Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Monthly/Seasonal Challenges > Autumn: One Enchanted Evening

Comments (showing 1-50 of 123) (123 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Lisarenee (last edited Sep 30, 2012 05:31PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7661 comments The way it was supposed to work:

Dear Members,

This October and November we have a special reading challenge planned just for you. To find out what that special something is, recite the magic words below then click on the view spoiler tab.

Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo

(view spoiler)

If you wish to find out more about your wish please Click Here

Sincerely,
NBRC (Nothing but Reading Challenges)

message 2: by Lisarenee (last edited Sep 30, 2012 09:49PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7661 comments Photobucket

Dear members,

October 31st is known as Halloween, All Hallows' Eve and Samhain. It is sited quite frequently in works of fiction as be a night in which portals open between our world and others. Your fairy godmother has decided to grant you a one night all inclusive access pass to the portals between this world and those of all things in the present, past, future and alternate realities. The universe is literally your oyster to explore and the night is yours to conquer.

So think very carefully of how you will use this rare and special opportunity to go places others have only wished to go. Will you visit a historic event, see what the future holds, or dive into the alternate reality of your favorite (paranormal or other) book series? Will you dance till dawn? Perhaps attend a masquerade ball or costume party? See what the lost city of Atlantis was like? Those are questions only you can provide the answers to. We can't wait to see what you come up with.

Guidelines for the challenge:

Each portion of this challenge can be played out by either finding what you want on a book cover, a word in the title, or by doing a spell-it-out. With a spell-it-out you use a word and take each letter in it and connect it to the first letter in a book title, a character in a book, the author's first or last name, etc. If the first word of a book is 'A', 'An', or 'The' then you can skip it and use the second to connect it to a letter.

Example of a spell-it-out:
Dance
D - Delirium by Lauren Oliver
A - Andrew in Play of Passion by Nalini Singh
N - Archangel's Storm by Nalini Singh
C - Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
E - Evermore by Alyson Noel

1) So to begin this challenge the first item on the agenda is to decide where you will go and yes you can go to more than one place. Will it be to the past, present, future, or into your favorite book series? Read one or more books somehow related to your destination(s) just follow the guidelines listed above.

2) Next, pick an appropriate outfit(s) and/or costume(s) for the night. You may read one or more books for each outfit or costume you wish to wear, just follow the guidelines for the challenge listed above.

3) Thirdly, decide who will go with you? You may choose one or more people to join you on your enchanted evening or go solo. You can select friends or your favorite book characters. It's up to you to decide. You may read one or more books for each person travelling with you just follow the guidelines for the challenge listed above.

4) The fourth item on the agenda is to pick what you will do? Will you watch a historic event, go to a dance club, just pop in somewhere for a quick drink, go bowling or something entirely different? You may read one or more books for each thing you wish to do just follow the guidelines for the challenge listed above.

5) Once at your decided destination you will probably need transportation. You may read one or more books for each form of transportation you wish to use just follow the guidelines for the challenge listed above.

6) Because this will be such a long night, you may need some substance to sustain you. Choose one or more food and/or drink items you wish to indulge in during your enchanted evening. You may read one or more books for each food item/drink you with to imbibe of, just follow the guidelines for the challenge listed above.

7) The seventh item on the agenda is to have fun and read.

Hope you like this one,
Lisarenee

P.S. I literally thought this one up today while eating lunch. lol Funny when inspiration hits you. ;)

************ADDED********************
You can do this challenge using only book covers, titles, and characters from a book. For example:

I will go Step into the Guild Hunter world by reading:
Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter, #1) by Nalini Singh

I will wear a comfy outfit like this:
By a Thread (Elemental Assassin, #6) by Jennifer Estep

I will take FBI Agent Grayson Kincaid from Sweet Talk with me:
Sweet Talk by Julie Garwood

We will have
Dinner With Friends by Donald Margulies

We will get around by dirigible (Note one is one the cover):
Changeless (Parasol Protectorate, #2) by Gail Carriger

Lastly, we'll make our own
Love Story by Erich Segal

message 3: by Scribble (last edited Sep 30, 2012 05:28PM) (new)

Scribble Orca (ScribbleOrca) Terrific idea.

Does reserved mean that this is your spot ie msg 2, Lisarenee?

message 4: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7661 comments No, I did it in case I wanted to add in the invitation which I will now since it didn't work the way it was supposed. That way you can see how it was supposed to work. :(

message 5: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 5032 comments I'm in! I think...albeit a teenie bit confused! :) so how many books do we need to read? min of 7? because you have 7 guidelines? or can we pick and choose how many to do?

message 6: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7661 comments Catherine wrote: "I'm in! I think...albeit a teenie bit confused! :) so how many books do we need to read? min of 7? because you have 7 guidelines? or can we pick and choose how many to do?"

This is your enchanted evening so you choose. You can do one of everything or choose which one or ones you wish to do.

message 7: by Catherine (last edited Oct 30, 2012 02:09PM) (new)

Catherine | 5032 comments cool :)

1) So to begin this challenge the first item on the agenda is to decide where you will go and yes you can go to more than one place. Will it be to the past, present, future, or into your favorite book series? Read one or more books somehow related to your destination(s) just follow the guidelines listed above.

2) Next, pick an appropriate outfit(s) and/or costume(s) for the night. You may read one or more books for each outfit or costume you wish to wear, just follow the guidelines for the challenge listed above.

3) Thirdly, decide who will go with you? You may choose one or more people to join you on your enchanted evening or go solo. You can select friends or your favorite book characters. It's up to you to decide. You may read one or more books for each person travelling with you just follow the guidelines for the challenge listed above.

4) The fourth item on the agenda is to pick what you will do? Will you watch a historic event, go to a dance club, just pop in somewhere for a quick drink, go bowling or something entirely different? You may read one or more books for each thing you wish to do just follow the guidelines for the challenge listed above.

5) Once at your decided destination you will probably need transportation. You may read one or more books for each form of transportation you wish to use just follow the guidelines for the challenge listed above.

6) Because this will be such a long night, you may need some substance to sustain you. Choose one or more food and/or drink items you wish to indulge in during your enchanted evening. You may read one or more books for each food item/drink you with to imbibe of, just follow the guidelines for the challenge listed above.

7) The seventh item on the agenda is to have fun and read.

1. Past..The Lady of the Rivers..Philippa Gregory(book 3)(read)

2. A farthingale, lots of petticoats, corset.....(all very uncomfortable)....and a nice bodice and skirt, with nice embroidered fabric shoes..Shadow of Night..Deborah Harkness(book 2)

3.I will go with a knight(or King or Prince), and a lady in waiting :)

5. Horse and Carriage, or horseback

6. lots of wine and ale!

message 8: by Madilynn (new)

Madilynn Okay. I will try this.
1) I am going to a ball.
B-
A-
L-
L-

2) I will be wearing a ball gown.
B-
A-
L-
L-

G-
O-
W-
N-

3) I choose to go solo.

S-
O-
L-
O-

4) I wil dance.
D-
A-
N-
C-
E-

5) I am riding in a pumpkin carriage.
P-
U-
M-
K-
I-
N-

C-
A-
R-
R-
I-
A-
G-
E-

6) I will drink coffee, and hot chocolate
C-
O-
F-
F-
E-
E-

H-
O-
T-

C-
H-
O-
C-
O-
L-
A-
T-
E-

How long does it last? Do books count now or when?

message 9: by Lisarenee (last edited Sep 30, 2012 06:13PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7661 comments ♥Madilynn♥ wrote: "5) I am riding in a pumpkin carriage.

Madilynn,

Here's your carriage:

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 3 comments Count me in
Will sort out details, but will do a spell out i reckon
Lots of books to get through \Very exciting

message 11: by Brittney (new)

Brittney (britsbooknook) | 813 comments So, does the challenge start now? Or is it only for Halloween night?

message 12: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7661 comments Brittney wrote: "So, does the challenge start now? Or is it only for Halloween night?"

It starts October 1st and goes through November 30th. I think in several time zones it's already October 1st.

message 13: by Juana "Darkness" (last edited Nov 15, 2012 01:28PM) (new)

Juana "Darkness" Duran | 84 comments You can count me in. I'll post as I go along. I think that I will do this challenge like your example Lisarenee.

Enchanted Evening Challenge
Duration: October-November

I'm Going to a Masquerade Ball

The Homecoming Masquerade by Spencer Baum
The Homecoming Masquerade by Spencer Baum 10/12/12

I am going to wear a Ball Gown and Mask

-Happy Ever After by Nora Roberts Happy Ever After (Bride Quartet, #4) by Nora Roberts (CR)

-A Winter Scandal by Candace Camp A Winter Scandal (St. Dwynwen, #1) by Candace Camp

Going Solo

Decadent by shayla Black Decadent (Wicked Lovers, #2) by Shayla Black 10/2/12

I'm Going to Dance

Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side (Jessica, #1) by Beth Fantaskey 10/15/12

I'm going in a Race Car

Slow Burn by Pamela Britton Slow Burn (NASCAR, #7) by Pamela Britton 10/11/12

Drink

message 14: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (LindyLee) This sounds hard, I hope i can do it,

message 15: by Lisarenee (last edited Sep 30, 2012 08:42PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7661 comments Lindy wrote: "This sounds hard, I hope i can do it,"

Lindy,

You don't have to do via a spell-it-out style challenge. For instance for an outfit like a dress just select a book with a dress on the cover of a dress you like. I love this dress:
The Ugly Duchess (Fairy Tales, #4) by Eloisa James
So I could choose that book and cross outfit off the list.

For a date traveling companion you could pick FBI Agent Grayson Kincaid from Sweet Talk and cross it off by reading:
Sweet Talk by Julie Garwood

Does that make it seem easier?

message 16: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (LindyLee) So we will each have to read about 30 books to do this, can you use all the letters in a book title or just the first one?

message 17: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (LindyLee) So the topics are 1) will go to a... 2) My costume will be.... 3) Going with... 4_ I will 5) I am going in ... 6) Fiid ir Drink..

I can use a picture or I can spell works out, Can i use the whole title of a book?

message 18: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 3 comments very optimistic but here we go

Enchanted Evening Challenge
October - November

Where i am going
F.
U.
T.
U.
R.
E.
What am i wearing
D.
R.
E.
S.
S.
Who i am going with
S.
O.
L.
O.
What am i doing
C.
L.
U.
B.
B.
I.
N.
G.
What is my transport
H.
O.
V.
E.
R.
C.
A.
R.
Food/Drink
C.
O.
C.
K.
T.
A.
I.
L.

Total books = 0/39

message 19: by Lisarenee (last edited Sep 30, 2012 09:29PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7661 comments Lindy wrote: "So the topics are 1) will go to a... 2) My costume will be.... 3) Going with... 4_ I will 5) I am going in ... 6) Fiid ir Drink..

I can use a picture or I can spell works out, Can i use the..."

Nope you could, if you so choose, do it in 6 books. Just choose books and/or covers and/or titles with things, places or people you want refer to message 15 for an example:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

message 20: by Laurie (last edited Sep 30, 2012 09:36PM) (new)

Laurie Martin | 93 comments I'm in ... and will post in a bit.

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 417 comments This sounds great! I'm already coming up with ideas I'll try and post as I go!

message 22: by Susanne (new)

Susanne  (bookcrazy47) This sounds fun! Count me in! I'll come back later and post a tentative list :-)

message 23: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ | 3146 comments I'm in but I have to think about my journey.

message 24: by Susanne (last edited Oct 07, 2012 11:50PM) (new)

Susanne  (bookcrazy47) One Enchanted Evening Reading Challenge
Duration: 1 October - 30 November 2012

[image error][image error][image error][image error]

Read: 0/6

I will go to Paris in a ballgown with Sir Mark. We will travel in a carriage, get married under the Eiffel tower and afterwards we will feed each other wedding cake at our reception...

1. You Slay Me (set in Paris)
2. Scandal Wears Satin (ballgown on the cover)
3. Unclaimed (hero Sir Mark)
4. On the Way to the Wedding (carriage on the cover an title!)
5. Married By Morning (married in the title!)
6. Simply Irresistible (wedding cake on the cover)

message 25: by Lisarenee (last edited Oct 01, 2012 04:49AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7661 comments Susanne wrote: "One Enchanted Evening Reading Challenge

Read: 0/8

I will go to Paris in a ballgown with Kane McKay. We will travel in a carriage, get married under the Eiff..."

Susanne, I love the pictures you found. They're beautiful.

message 26: by Susanne (new)

Susanne  (bookcrazy47) Lisarenee wrote: "Susanne, I love the pictures you found. They're beautiful."

Thanks! Kind of makes me wish my enchanted evening was for real! LOL!

message 27: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 2478 comments where you will go

pick an appropriate outfit(s) and/or costume(s)

what you will do?

transportation
a steam-powered gastropod Timeless (Parasol Protectorate, #5) by Gail Carriger

food and/or drink items you wish to indulge in

message 28: by Amanda (last edited Oct 01, 2012 10:45AM) (new)

Amanda (P0PSTART) Fun! I'm in, but no way I'm spelling it all out like some of you folks- you are so ambitious!

message 29: by Amy J. (last edited Nov 21, 2012 06:50AM) (new)

Amy J. | 684 comments My partial list (I'll fill in the rest when I know what books I'm reading in November)

17/18

Destination: Overseas (at least 2 stops)

1.Egypt: Timeless by Gail Carrigerfinished 10/14
2. England: The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling Finished 10/19

Outfit : Beautiful Ball Gown
Envy by Anna Godbersen Finished 10/30

Date: Henry Tilney
Henry Tilney's Diaryby Amanda Grange Finished 10/ 7

Activity: We will Unleash the Night by Sherrilyn Kenyon Finished 11/10

Transportation: PLANE
P: Cry Wolf by Patricia BriggsFinished 10/9
L:Lover Reborn by J.R. Ward Finished 10/20
A: Albert from Mort by Terry Pratchett Finished 10/26
N: Mine to Possess by Nalini Singh Finished 11/15
E: Four to Score by Janet Evanovich Finished 11/21

Food/Drink: AMBROSIA
A: Found by Evangeline Anderson Finished 10/24
M: Steamed by Katie MacAlisterFinished 11/6
B: Bone Crossed by Patricia Briggs Finished 10/6
R: Rhye St. Maur from Twice Tempted by a Rogue by Tessa Dare Finished 10/3
O: Oskar Eriksson in Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist
S: Sins of the Night by Sherrilyn Kenyon Finished 10/28
I: Isabel Townshed in Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a LordSarah MacLean Finished 11/11
A: Kiss of Midnight by Lara Adrian Finished 11/20

message 30: by Mary (new)

Mary (Merinwe) | 1043 comments This is crazy cool! So creative, Lisarenee. I just started the October Superstitions Challenge, though, and I'm neck-deep in the Animal Alphabet Challenge (I can't keep track of ten different challenges like everybody else) so after I finish the October Superstitions, I may pop over and start on this one.

message 31: by Regina (last edited Nov 04, 2012 10:18AM) (new)

Regina | 41 comments Sounds fun!
I'm going to visit the Iron Seas:
Heart of Steel (Iron Seas, #2) by Meljean Brook <-- Done

In a dress like this:
The Queen's Vow A Novel Of Isabella Of Castile by C.W. Gortner <-- Done

In the company of Dimitri from:
Frostbite (Vampire Academy, #2) by Richelle Mead <--- Done

Together we'll play
Mind Games (The Disillusionists Trilogy, #1) by Carolyn Crane

while we're riding our bikes:
Ride with Me by Ruthie Knox<-- Done

And we might share a weird apple:
Eve and Adam by Michael Grant<-- Done

5/6

message 32: by Carrie (new)

Carrie  | 97 comments This sounds fun, I'm in. Now where do I want to go, hmm..

message 33: by ShoSho (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 446 comments It sounds so interesting , I have a lot of other challenges but I really want to do this one :)So I'm in
This is my first challenge in this group

message 34: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 2478 comments where you will go

what you will do?
23 Hours A Vengeful Vampire Tale by David Wellington✔ Slay vampires, of course!

transportation

message 35: by Reed (last edited Nov 24, 2012 07:59AM) (new)

Reed Raab (ReedRaab) | 305 comments Oh this sounds so fantastic! When life gets me down I retreat into the dream worlds of books and movies. I must participate!

TO ASGARD!

(Be back later with books and when I calm down from the giddyness of this challenge.)

Where am I going?
I'm heading to another realm. Asgard here I come!
Thor For Asgard by Robert Rodi

What shall I wear?
I might drop in on a ball so I should wear a dress:
A Beautiful Dark (A Beautiful Dark, #1) by Jocelyn Davies 10/24
Spice it up with a snake pendant:
Secondhand Charm by Julie Berry
But keep the signature Converse, in green this time:
The Queen Geek Social Club by Laura Preble

Who will I bring along?
I'm going to fly solo on this one. I'm planning on running into Loki ;)
Loki by Mike Vasich 11/24

What will I do?
Cause mischief with the God of Lies, obviously!
Mischief by Amanda Quick

How ever will we get around Asgard?
Grab some horses from the stable to get around the Bifrost but not Sleipnir, no need to involve children in our trickery.
War Horse (War Horse, #1) by Michael Morpurgo 10/26

What drink will we imbibe on our adventure?
MEAD!! Lots of it!! ...okay, maybe some dessert too so we don't toss our cookies so to speak.
B Is for Beer by Tom Robbins10/24 Comfort Food by Kate Jacobs 11/15

Completed: 5/9

message 36: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7661 comments Katie wrote: "Oh this sounds so fantastic! When life gets me down I retreat into the dream worlds of books and movies. I must participate!

TO ASGARD!

(be back later with books and when I calm down from the gid..."

lol :)

message 37: by Suzanne (last edited Nov 29, 2012 12:29PM) (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 902 comments Nothing but Reading Challenges
One Enchanted Evening Reading Challenge
Duration:
10/1/2012 - 11/30/2012

First letter in a book title, a character in a book, the author's first or last name

Progress: 9 out of 9

1) Where will you go?
New Orleans:
Phantom Evil by Heather Graham

Phantom Evil (Krewe of Hunters, #1) by Heather Graham

2) Outfit:
I will wear a casual outfit like this one:
Magic Strikes by Ilona Andrews

Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3) by Ilona Andrews

3) Decide who will go with you?
Mercedes Thompson will go with me!
Silver Borne by Patricia Briggs

Silver Borne (Mercedes Thompson, #5) by Patricia Briggs
4) What you will do?
We will watch Unicorns!
The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle

The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle

5) Transportation:
I will take Jane Yellowrock's motorcycle!
Skinwalker by Faith Hunter

Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, #1) by Faith Hunter

6) Food:
C: Crazy For You by Jennifer Crusie
A: Ashaya Aleine: Hostage to Pleasure by Nalini Singh
K: Karou: Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor
E: Janet Evanovich; Thanksgiving

Crazy For You by Jennifer Crusie Thanksgiving by Janet Evanovich Hostage to Pleasure (Psy-Changeling, #5) by Nalini Singh Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor

message 38: by Christine (new)

Christine | 51 comments I think I'm in, but I'm going to have to think about it for a bit.

Some of you are very creative!

message 39: by Susanne (last edited Oct 17, 2012 01:44AM) (new)

Susanne  (bookcrazy47) One Enchanted Evening Reading Challenge

[image error][image error][image error][image error]

Read: 3/6

I will go to Paris in a ballgown with Sir Mark. We will travel in a carriage, get married under the Eiffel tower and afterwards we party and drink fabulous cocktails all night...

✔ 1. You Slay Me (set in Paris) 3 stars 10/2
2. Scandal Wears Satin (ballgown on the cover)
✔ 3. Unclaimed (hero Sir Mark) 5+ stars 10/7
4. On the Way to the Wedding (carriage on the cover an title!)
✔ 5. Married By Morning (married in the title) 4 stars 10/10
6. Mystery Man (drink on the cover)

message 40: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Love your pics, Susanne! So romantic!

message 41: by JenniferJ (new)

JenniferJ | 129 comments This looks like fun! Will return later to fill in my books.

1)Where you will go
2)Pick an appropriate outfit(s) and/or costume(s)
3)Who will go with you
4)What you will do
5)Transportation
6)One or more food and/or drink items you wish to indulge in
7)The seventh item on the agenda is to have fun and read.

message 42: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 2478 comments where you will go?
32 Fangs A Final Vampire Tale by David Wellington✔ Last showdown between Caxton & Malvern!

what you will do?

transportation

message 43: by Susanne (new)

Susanne  (bookcrazy47) Sashana wrote: "Love your pics, Susanne! So romantic!"

Thanks Sashana!

message 44: by Barbara ★ (last edited Oct 05, 2012 06:42PM) (new)

Barbara ★ | 3146 comments Duration: October 1 - November 30, 2012

READ: 2/26

1. We will be in...

I:
R:
E: Fifty Shades Darker - E.L. James 10/5
L:
A:
N:
D:

2. I will wear a green dress something like this Grave Sins (Cin Craven, #2) by Jenna Maclaine

3. My date will be Acheron...yummy!
A:
C:
H:
E:
R:
O:
N:

4. We will...hitchhike into the wild white mountains
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide, #1) by Douglas Adams Into the Wild by Beth Ciotta The White Mountains by John Christopher

5. Using our poor little feet Enchanted, Inc. (Enchanted, Inc. #1) by Shanna Swendson

6. We will drink deep of ice cold water. Drink Deep (Chicagoland Vampires, #5) by Chloe Neill Ice Cold (Rizzoli & Isles, #8) by Tess Gerritsen
W: Wages of Sin - Jenna Maclaine 10/4
A:
T:
E:
R:

message 45: by Midu (last edited Oct 06, 2012 05:22AM) (new)

32 Fangs A Final Vampire Tale by David Wellington✔ Last showdown between Caxton & Malvern!

what you will do?

transportation

Dark Tidings by Ken Magee✔ champagne and caviar

message 46: by Midu (new)

pick an appropriate outfit(s) and/or costume
Nightingale's Lament (Nightside, #3) by Simon R. Green

what you will do?

transportation

Dark Tidings by Ken Magee✔ champagne and caviar

message 47: by Susanne (last edited Oct 07, 2012 11:52PM) (new)

Susanne  (bookcrazy47) Updated Post 40: 2/6

message 48: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Hoffman | 56 comments to continue what i started on my trip to Boston, Salem and Plymouth Plantation . . .
i am going to arrive on the
Mayflower A Story of Courage, Community, and War by Nathaniel PhilbrickMayflower: A Story of Courage, Community, and War
and travel thru
Colonial America to 1763 by Thomas L. PurvisColonial America to 1763
with
The Minister's Daughter by Julie HearnThe Minister's Daughter
The Winthrop Woman by Anya SetonThe Winthrop Woman
Susannah Morrow by Megan ChanceSusannah Morrow and
The Traitor's Wife and Demeter's Daughters: The Women Who Founded America, 1587-1787. . . my adventure may take more than the two months

message 49: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7661 comments Midu, Are you already done?

message 50: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7661 comments Debbie, I love it. Looks like you picked some interesting books.

« previous 1 3