Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Author merging: which profile stays

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments I just ran into this issue trying to sort out Antony Armstrong-Jones' profile: if you have two variants on an author's name and you change the more popular variant to the less popular one, it's still the less popular one which is removed. (There were a whole bunch of books crediting "Earl of Antony Armstrong-Jones Snowdon", and when I changed that author name to remove the title, the profile which remained -- I checked by ID number -- was the "Earl of" profile. I noticed because it was empty, whereas I'd put some biographical information into the plain-name one already!) I'm not sure if that's a bug or a feature, since there are very few instances when the more popular name is the one that needs to change, but it's not the behavior I was expecting, especially with the loss of the profile information.

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 949 comments Really? I was pretty certain it merged whatever you tried to change into what you changed it to, regardless of popularity.

A few weeks ago I accidentally wiped out an incorrect name-but-common books with a lot of author profile info for the correct name-but-uncommon books (I was just trying to fix the name and zoned on the merge question) which had no profile info at all (I was lucky and was able to page back into my cache and reconstruct the entire profile, so in the end little-to-nothing was lost).

From your description it sounds like that shouldn't have happened to me. I wonder if something changed?

message 3: by Cait (last edited Feb 09, 2009 04:42PM) (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Maybe something changed, or maybe it's some trigger other than popularity? I think I might have seen it happen before, where I merge A into B with B's profile open in another tab and then refresh B to get the "oops, no author" page, but this is the first time I've been absolutely sure of the order I merged and the ID number of the merged author....

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 32937 comments Mod
I was of the same impression as Michael. But I usually keep open a duplicate tab of the version I want to keep, just in case, for copy-and-paste purposes.

message 5: by Cait (last edited Feb 10, 2009 09:39AM) (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Hmm, it just happened again: I merged "W. I. B Beveridge" into "William Ian Beardmore Beveridge" and the original profile for "William Ian Beardmore Beveridge" was the one that went away, but then I merged "W. I. B. Beveridge" into the new "William Ian Beardmore Beveridge" and that worked the expected way, with the original "W. I. B. Beveridge" now gone.

(And again! "W.I.B. Beveridge" merged away but "W., I. Beveridge" merged and claimed the profile. I think I need to put this in the Feedback group under "bugs".... ETA: done.)

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 2385 comments Good to know. Thank Cait. A reminder to be extra careful.

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 32937 comments Mod
Indeed.