The Next Best Book Club discussion

Newbies Corner > Okie Newbie

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker Hi, I'm Lori. I'm a student from Oklahoma (I don't live in a tepee and the closest I've ever been to a cow, pig, or chicken is when it's on its way to my mouth). I'm majoring in English and I just decided to add a history degree. I love reading (like most people on this site), but I don't get the chance to read as much as I would like on my own. I read plenty of what my professors tell me though. After I graduate I plan on going to law school. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone and joining in on some good conversation about books.

message 2: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Hi Lori, and welcome to the group. You'll find lots of stuff to read here, don't you worry!!

message 3: by Allison (The Allure of Books) (last edited Feb 09, 2009 01:46PM) (new)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) haha...you sound so much like me. I am from OK...I started out in history/pre law...changed to english pre law...and planned on going to law school.

Now I've decided once I get my degree I'll just get a masters in library science...but ANYWAY...just funny that we have all that in common.

Oh....I guess that means I should ask where you go to school. I started out at Oklahoma Christian in Edmond, and am finishing up at OU.

message 4: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker Allison, Let's just say that I'm not going to OU. The only reason I'm in Stillwater is because I didn't look at many colleges when I should have and I decided not to go to Tulsa because I listened to my then-boyfriend, who ended up going to OU (interestingly). He was 2 years younger than me, which should have made a signal go off saying "don't listen!" but I listened to him. The things we do for love...(and then we find out that maybe it wasn't really love)

message 5: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Lori wrote: "Hi, I'm Lori. I'm a student from Oklahoma (I don't live in a tepee and the closest I've ever been to a cow, pig, or chicken is when it's on its way to my mouth). I'm majoring in English and I jus..."

You've totally ruined my perception of Oklahoma, you know. :(

Anyway, welcome to TNBBC, we love books here. Nope. Obsessed by books.

And I'm Fiona, from merry ole England.

I don't know why they say 'merry' England as we're a bunch of moaners, but there you go.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) haha. My parents both went to OSU too...so I secretly root for them anyway.

message 7: by Jill (new)

Jill (wanderingrogue) | 329 comments Hi, Lori. I'm also an Okie in Stillwater. In fact, you've probably seen me on campus. Welcome to the club. :)

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome to the group Lori!

message 9: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments Welcome, Lori!

message 10: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 9862 comments Mod
Hey Lori. (another Lori!)
Welcome to the group. I hope you pop into the threads and join in on the whackiness that is TNBBC!

message 11: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 253 comments Hi Lori!

message 12: by Petra-X (new)

Petra-X (mona-lisa-with-eggs) Hi Lori no. 2

message 13: by Lisa Julianna (new)

Lisa Julianna (lisajulianna) | 1053 comments Hi Lori,

Welcome to the group!!! :~)

message 14: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker Fiona, There are certain parts of OK that would, I'm sure, live up to your mental image of it. Just not the parts I've ever been to... If you want, you can ruin England for me... ;-)

message 15: by Eric (new)

Eric | 382 comments Hi Lori and Welcome to goodreads.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) ooo, I can be a stereotypical Okie...I grew up on a farm :-) and we had a tepee on our elementary school playground. haha.

message 17: by Heather (new)

Heather (hsditto) Hi Lori! I've seen you around a couple of the different discussions...glad to see you jumped right on in! This is a great group, I'm sure you will love it here :) Welcome!

message 18: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Lori wrote: "Fiona, There are certain parts of OK that would, I'm sure, live up to your mental image of it. Just not the parts I've ever been to... If you want, you can ruin England for me... ;-)"

Fiona, can I do it for you?????:-)

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey Lori

message 20: by Leora (new)

Leora Hi, I am new too. This looks like a really fun group!

message 21: by Lisa Julianna (new)

Lisa Julianna (lisajulianna) | 1053 comments Hi Leora, Welcome to the group!!!!

message 22: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 9862 comments Mod
Hi Leora! Welcome!

message 23: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Jeane wrote: "Lori wrote: "Fiona, There are certain parts of OK that would, I'm sure, live up to your mental image of it. Just not the parts I've ever been to... If you want, you can ruin England for me... ;-..."

No. Blighty can never be ruined!

message 24: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) I'm late, but I wanted to welcome you to the group!

message 25: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker Jackie, I want to thank you and everyone else for welcoming me to the group. It's really active and there's always something going on, which I love. Looking forward to discussing with you guys more!