Artipathy discussion

Art and Fear > Regarding Understanding

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim (last edited Feb 09, 2009 01:14PM) (new)

Kim | 361 comments Mod
I love the point made here about keeping your work to yourself at first. An artistic idea can be so fragile, like an eggshell. What is so important is that we believe it ourselves, notwithstanding other's opinions. I had a studio last year in the same building as a friend. He would often stop by and see what I was up to. Usually he had a comment to make. He would ask if he could make it and I would allow it, curiosity getting the better of me. Problem was that it was so out of context because I hadn't finished my idea. It took some power to let it go after he would say what he had to say. Finally, I ended up putting a "Do not disturb" on my door when I was working. He mostly got the hint, but I'm truly relieved to be working at home now and to be free with my muse. When I'm ready, when it's "cooked" then I show. Otherwise the cake threatens not to rise.

message 2: by Kay (new)

Kay (cobwebs) | 90 comments This happens with me also... sometimes sharing what I'm doing does completely take the wind out of the sails, though sometimes it gives me more incentive to finish. Usually the difference lies in whether I'm seriously fixed on the piece, or just experimenting.

Your story reminded me of the Utrecht we have in DC... I was looking for art space to work in and they said they have space for artists... when I looked it up the space was in their display window! You got to be on display with people walking by, while trying to work! I had to laugh, because that would kill me. I'm sure others would thrive on it (maybe?).

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim | 361 comments Mod
I don't mind sharing and especially helpful criticism, just sometimes it's not the right moment...

Sitting in the display window might be ok, no one could talk to you! I know that store. Used to go to figure drawing group there years ago...But truly, what I need when working is peace and quiet, or peace and peaceful music or surroundings. I guess the display thing would work if you had a really clear idea of what you wanted to do. Bit like an animal in a cage though! Weird! Great publicity or your work though, I'm sure.

message 4: by Kay (new)

Kay (cobwebs) | 90 comments Yeah... I can definitely see how it would work in favor for both the store and the artist to have someone working in public . I've always had trouble working while others watch though... sketching outdoors helps with that a little.

message 5: by Terri (new)

Terri (TerriLovesCrows) | 30 comments Sitting in a store window makes me think of Harlan Ellison. He arranged with a bookshop to sit in their window and just write stories all day. He wrote a story featuring the letter "A" then one featuring "B" and so on. One of my favorites was J is for Jabberwocky. In the end the book was compiled into a book. His point was for people to see that writing was a job I guess. But I just can't imagine. It seems like it would intensify the pressure to "create" on schedule.

message 6: by Kay (new)

Kay (cobwebs) | 90 comments I really love Harlan Ellison's essays... short stories, too, I'll have to look for this A to Z book.

That sounds like something he would do too, hah...

message 7: by Terri (new)

Terri (TerriLovesCrows) | 30 comments I looked on my shelf when I got home. It is called From A to Z in the Chocolate Alphabet

message 8: by Blanca (new)

Blanca (blancadaver) | 4 comments If I'm not mistaken there is a series of books by Sue Grafton that goe A through Z as well, or are in progress of being written and plotted according to the alphabet. I recently read "S is for SIlence" and didn't really become a fan of it.

What year did Ellison write this book in?

message 9: by Blanca (new)

Blanca (blancadaver) | 4 comments *go