Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > How to display unowned books?

Comments (showing 1-18 of 18) (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul W (new)

Paul W Jones (pwjone1) | 62 comments Once I've added books to the owned shelf, is there a way to display which ones are NOT on that shelf?

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* (ErinPaperbackstash) | 2066 comments It shouldn't go to the owned shelf unless you tell it to. Maybe I'm missing the question?

message 3: by something_ (new)

something_ | 9 comments I think what is asked here is if there is a way to display all the books are NOT in a given shelf - instead of having to create two, 'owned-books' and 'not-owned books' for instance, we could just see which books are not in 'owned-books'.

I think there isn't such functionality, though I've also wished for it on more than one ocasion, it would be pretty handy.

message 4: by Paul W (new)

Paul W Jones (pwjone1) | 62 comments I did an import from Librarything.com, and all of the books are owned by me, but it is not reflected that way in goodreads. There doesn't see to be a way to mass add them to owned. I appear to be able to add them from shelved books, and I'm in the process of adding them to shelves, but the process to add them from shelves to owned is extremely tedious (one by one, and I'm ultimately dealing with 1200+ books), so what I really need, as a double-check, is a kind of (NOT) or logical inverse operation. Show me all the books that are not marked owned.

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Eisenmeier (carpelibrumbooks) | 49 comments Maybe you could created a shelf named books I don't own, library books, and borrowed books. I've seen similar shelves.

message 6: by Paul W (new)

Paul W Jones (pwjone1) | 62 comments Actually, I did something similar, initially, trying to get everything over to "owned". I created a shelf "unclassified" and then did a batch-edit add to that so that all the books were on that particular shelve, then I started to go through and add them to "owned". But since I could not find a way to mass move them to owned, this proved ultimately too tedious. It was taking me 8-10 seconds per book, 1200 books, you do the math. So for now, I'm just trying to move them from unclassified, to a legitimate organizing shelves (fiction, nonfiction, etc.). But in the end, what I'd like to do, before I start adding to my to-read list, is to get everything over into owned, since that's what they all are at present.

Elizabeth (Alaska) At the present time, there is no way to do what you wish without creating those extra shelves. We have asked for true Boolean shelves, not just Multiple, but we have yet to get it.

message 8: by Liz M (last edited Sep 30, 2012 12:19PM) (new)

Liz M | 241 comments Pwjone1 wrote: "Actually, I did something similar, initially, trying to get everything over to "owned". I created a shelf "unclassified" and then did a batch-edit add to that so that all the books were on that pa..."

I think the issue is that the "owned books" section, where you have to check a box in the review pop-up window is a leftover from goodreads' defunct bookswap. Most people just create a shelf "owned" or "books-i-own" or "owned-books" or whatever. Then you can use batch-edit to mass add books to that shelf.

message 9: by Paul W (new)

Paul W Jones (pwjone1) | 62 comments Just a note that I tried a couple of export/fix-up/import experiments, to see if I could set the owned field external to bookreads. Kind of an end-around. But goodreads import does not appear to update the Owned field from the Owned Copy column in the .csv. So close and yet so far.

message 10: by Paul W (new)

Paul W Jones (pwjone1) | 62 comments Liz M wrote: "Pwjone1 wrote: "Actually, I did something similar, initially, trying to get everything over to "owned". I created a shelf "unclassified" and then did a batch-edit add to that so that all the books..."

So it sounds like the owned setting is not really used or fully functional in Goodreads? Shame really, I thought it would be a nice feature. I guess I'll play more with the extra shelves, but that seems so manual and error prone.

message 11: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 1460 comments You can sort by the owned field in the my books display.

message 12: by ❂ Jennifer (new)

❂ Jennifer  (jennevans) | 978 comments It is a pretty full-functional feature (although currently there is a bug with adding multiple owned copies of the same book that the developers are aware of and working on). As Deborah mentioned, if you go to the "My Books" link and choose the link at the top next to 'controls' called "Shelf Settings" and then click on the "owned" check box (4th column, 4th down), you'll get a column in your My Books List that says "owned" - you can sort by that column in either ascending or descending order. That will help you figure out which books need to be tagged/moved to another shelf.

You can set this shelf setting on any specific shelf as well, not just to All, or Read, etc.

Alternatively, since you mentioned you played with the .csv file, you could try exporting your books out of GoodReads and read that .csv file to see what GR names the "owned" column. Then rename your LIbraryThing .csv owned column to match and see if that get's your import in with the owned books marked as such. :)

message 13: by Liz M (new)

Liz M | 241 comments ❂ Jennifer wrote: "It is a pretty full-functional feature (although currently there is a bug with adding multiple owned copies of the same book that the developers are aware of and working on). As Deborah mentioned..."

It is a functional feature? Huh, I had no idea. What does it do differently than placing books on a regular shelf titled owned?

message 14: by ❂ Jennifer (new)

❂ Jennifer  (jennevans) | 978 comments Well, ok, *I* find it does what everything I need it to do for my owned books. It allows me to mark them as owned, note the day purchased, the place I purchased them from, and the condition the book is in. Other people might wish for additional functionality, but it suits my needs. :)

message 15: by Paul W (new)

Paul W Jones (pwjone1) | 62 comments Based on some experimentation and Jennifer's suggestion, this is the way I've found to deal with it:

1. Add these fields to one of the views (shelf settings)
a. Date Purchased
b. Owned
2. Sort the owned field so that blank checkmarks are top
3. Click (add) in Date Purchased column

This appears to set the owned column.

I should add that I think, but cannot be sure of, is that the owned view/add book path was somehow skipping books. The reason I cannot be sure is that I was going that way, in fact thought I had gone all of the way through it, but there were 20+ screens at 200 books each (or whatever the max was), so I was risking carpal or whatever trying to find and click on all the various buttons.

The reason I was working so hard to get the owned right is that I buy a lot of books, and I've always in the past used LibraryThing to keep track of them. That avoids me buying twice, as I consult the list. But really what I've needed is a phone driven list, since that's mostly what I have with me when I'm shopping, and Librarything, while they have a mobile site, have resolutely refused to do an App. So that's why I'm experimenting, seeing if I can get the data over into GoodReads. Export/Import have turned out to have worked less than perfectly, so I have some fixup, but at least it looks like I have them all properly in the owned column. Now I have to work my way through the 100+ that were dropped, but I'm getting close.

message 16: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 3394 comments I'm glad you persisted - and welcome to GR! Thanks for posting your solution; others can use this thread for future reference.

message 17: by Simon (new)

Simon | 2 comments This doesn't appear to be sorted yet...I can import my 588 books but if i try to add 1 in the Owned Copy , it does not replciate it in my database. The method of adding it to owned above is good...but would anyone here like to do this for 580+ books? I've started and got so mindumbingly bored after 20.
Can anyone tell me if the import facility will ever correctly let me change the owned value to 1/ yes/ tick mark.
I have succesfully used excel to change the title of columns and the contents and have it replicated in goodreads ( It was Date Read)

message 18: by Arturo (new)

Arturo Rojas (hentai) | 238 comments Hi Simon! Though the "owned" option can't be imported via the excel file, there is another workaround that might help. We can add a new column in your file to create an "owned" shelve, so when you import it, it'll group all your owned books into this new shelf for easier tracking.

Could you please send an email to support (at) goodreads (dot) com with your excel file attached and "For Arturo" as the subject? I'd like to take a look at the file itself, and work from there how we can best do this.