Paranormal & Urban Fantasy, Monthly Group Reads discussion

Fun & Games > Personal Reading Goals

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (boban) I'm always curious to see what people plan on reading throughout the month/year. I thought it would be fun to share this with everyone.

My goal in '09 is to read 75 novels throughout the year. I'm also keeping track of pages read.

In February I wanted to read 6 books.

1. In Shade and Shadow by Barb & JC Hendee DONE!
2. Moon Called by Patricia Briggs DONE!
3. Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost (almost done)
4. Dark Lover by JR Ward
5. Blood Bound by Patricia Briggs
6. Iron Kissed by Patricia Briggs

What about you - what books are you wanting to read this month?

message 2: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 1167 comments Mod
Ooh good topic!

I should probably set some goals for myself but I read so fast sometimes, it makes it really hard.

For example I read all of our monthly reads (for all 3 groups) in the first week lol.

Then I move onto Yz's monthly challenges hehe.

My main goal for me is to just branch out and read more authors and genres :)

message 3: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (boban) That's been one of my goals for a while too - I just can't seem to break out of the Paranormal genre. There's too many books that look oh so appetizing.

message 4: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

I know what you mean, though last month I did branch out and read Dragon Champion The Age of Fire Book 1 by E.E. Knight

And I found that I really liked it alot, and plan to get the others in the series :D

message 5: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathry) There are 4 genres I am trying to tackle right now. I'm really into my graphic novels at the moment. I'll finish the Sandman series this week and move onto Fables, so graphics are a big goal of mine this year.

Next, I'm trying to knock out a bunch of classics that I have always wanted to read but I usually skip for something fast and fun.

Then I'm trying to break into some more serious and scary stuff, more horror type novels but I haven't gotten far.

And last, of course, my paranormal romance. I try to balance everything but it's difficult. There's just too much that I want to read. Instead of finding more authors, I am trying to read books of authors I already enjoy. But, I'm currently reading 2 books by new authors so I'm not exactly meeting that goal.

message 6: by Yz the Whyz (last edited Feb 09, 2009 02:26PM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 232 comments What I do to keep track of what I read for this year is I created a shelf called 2009-reads. Everytime I finished a book, I make sure I put it on that shelf, so I get to see a running tally of how many books I read so far...

Last year I recorded about 80 books read starting august..(that's the time I really started using GR). I'm hoping to read at minimum a 100 this year. So far, I have 21 books done.

message 7: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (boban) Kathryn wrote: "Then I'm trying to break into some more serious and scary stuff, more horror type novels but I haven't gotten far. "

I've been trying to get into horror too. I just don't know where to start. If you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them!

message 8: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathry) I have a 2009 shelf too and I'm shocked to see how much I've already read. I think I'm at 32 books but I think 2 of them I couldn't finish. I'm also in the middle of 4. When I go back to work I won't be able to read so much but I'll be finished with school this year so maybe it'll balance out. I have no idea what my end of the year count will be but I am curious.

message 9: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

How I do my shelves is when I finish reading a book I put them in their corresponding author shelf.

Otherwise if I havent read it yet its just in a to-read/wishlist shelf hehe

message 10: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathry) Shanon, I have Necroscope by Lumley to read soon and I have a bunch of McCammon Robert R. books too. I am not sure if these are true horror but more so than what I normally read.

message 11: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (boban) Thanks - I'll check 'em out

message 12: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 902 comments Mod
Shanon wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Then I'm trying to break into some more serious and scary stuff, more horror type novels but I haven't gotten far. "

I've been trying to get into horror too. I just don't know..."

Everyone has a different tolerance level for horror. Same as someone not familiar with romance asking for help. Depending on your "horror" level is how you'd get better suited rec.'s. My fave horror author at the moment is Brian Keene. I first read THE CONQUEROR WORMS in an afternoon. SWAN SONG By Robert McCammon was a fave when I first read it (years ago). I like apocalyptic horror.

message 13: by Jessi (new)

Jessi  (jessim) I am kind of a slow reader (have a two year old and homework), so I haven't set any goals, just hoping to catch up on everything that I want to read, but then something new and exciting comes out and I get behind again!

message 14: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

I have alot of challenges to complete plus BOM reading. I have them outlined on my shelf =)

message 15: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (boban) I have a pretty high tollerance - as long as there aren't children involved. My dad wrote Horror/Suspense book last year that he's trying to get published - It was great! I couldn't believe he had those kind of thoughts/ideas in his head - kinda creepy when you know the author!

message 16: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

Shanon: One of the horror books I have read recently,By Brian Keene, has a child but there isn't any abuse or anything. I'd hate to rec. and old favorite and not remember all that's in it.

It is strange knowing the author sometimes =)

message 17: by Paula (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:32AM) (new)

Paula (paula717) | 19 comments From Dead to Worse by Charlaine Harris
Dead & Gone by same
Moloka'i by Alan Brennert
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski
The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
Vampire Academy (Book 1) by Richelle Mead
Earth Abides by George R. Stewart
The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society
by Mary Ann Shaffer, Annie Barrows
Betwixt by Tara Bray Smith
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne
Briar Rose by Jane Yolen
Eon: Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman
Castaways by Brian Keene

This is just a few. I better start cracking...

message 18: by Paula (new)

Paula (paula717) | 19 comments Wow, looking at the list now, I have no idea where I'm going to find the time to read everything on my "to read" list. Playing Lotto this week!! :o)

message 19: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (boban) WOW Paula - that's a lot of books. Is it all for this month??

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Last year I read 83 books. I've only been keeping records for 5 years. The highest I've ever gotten was 88 books. I'm shooting for 100 books this year but not sure I'll make it. In several reading challenges so that should help. lol

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Kenjii wrote: "I have alot of challenges to complete plus BOM reading. I have them outlined on my shelf =)"

But we can't peek as your profile is set to private. :0( lol

message 22: by tosca (new)

tosca (catatonichataholic) | 47 comments BriansGirl wrote: "Last year I read 83 books. I've only been keeping records for 5 years. The highest I've ever gotten was 88 books. I'm shooting for 100 books this year but not sure I'll make it. In several reading ..."

Wow - you go, girl!

message 23: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnv) Shanon wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Then I'm trying to break into some more serious and scary stuff, more horror type novels but I haven't gotten far. "

I used to LOVE horror books but I have not read much in years. I would suggest Stephen King like The Shining or Pet Sematary. I also used to like Thomas Harris he wrote the Hannible Lector stuff. Oh and one of my favorites was by Ray Bradbury Something Wicked This Way Comes.
Hope that helps.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 168 comments My overall goal for the year is for 125 books. If I keep up with Yz's reading challenge, that will account for 108, but I know there will be new releases that don't fit into the challenge, or newly discovered authors like I've had this month that I then need to read the series of, which will add to my numbers.

These are my reading challenge books for the month:
1. Vulnerable The First Book of the Little Goddess Series - Amy Lane - 07 Feb *****
2. Blood Memories - Barb Hendee
3. Marked - P.C. Cast
4. Vampire Academy - Richelle Mead - 01 Feb *****
5. Pleasure Unbound - Larissa Ione - 03 Feb ****
6. When Darkness Comes - Alexandra Ivy
7. Greywalker - Kat Richardson
8. Working for the Devil - Lilith Saintcrow
9. The Becoming - Jeanne C. Stein - 05 Feb ****

I've also read, am reading or will read by the end of the month:
- Frostbite - 10 Feb *****
- Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, Book 3)
- Bone Crossed
- Wounded The Second Book of the Little Goddess Series
- Bound The Third Book of the Little Goddess Series

message 25: by Paula (last edited Feb 10, 2009 10:31AM) (new)

Paula (paula717) | 19 comments Shannon wrote: "WOW Paula - that's a lot of books. Is it all for this month??"

Well, the sooner the better as I have more but I doubt I'll be able to read all in one month, LOL. I don't ususally have a goal/time frame but after reading everyones posts @ Goodreads.com I've got a lot of catching up to do. :o)

message 26: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathry) Dawn wrote: " Shanon wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Then I'm trying to break into some more serious and scary stuff, more horror type novels but I haven't gotten far. "

I used to LOVE horror books but I have not read..."

It's been years but I've read all of the old Stephen King novels and I'm just not feeling those types of stories anymore, same with Dean Koontz. And I've read most of Bradbury, which I love! As for the Hannibal Lector books, my husband has those but I just couldn't get into them. I think I like the horror books more with creatures and bad things that go bump in the night. I just started I Am Legend and I am really enjoying it.

message 27: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (boban) I read Silence of the Lambs years ago - I totally forgot about it. I remember being SO scared throughout the book that I made my dog sleep in the bed with me (a bad habit to start it turned out). It was a fun read.

message 28: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

Horror varies like romance. You find your favorite kind of horror and usually can't quit. Horror novels are not like horror movies. Horror, good horror, strips away humanity and lets you see the underneath. I like apocalyptic novels, a lot of which are in horror. Hope you find some you like =)

message 29: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (boban) I'm sure I will - I love books and if a story is captivating I'm sure I'll love regardless of the genre. Thanks for all the great suggestions!

message 30: by LibraryLass (new)

LibraryLass | 52 comments Last year I read 142 books, so my goal for this year is 150. I want at least 30 of those to be from my TBR pile. I tend to read LOTS of library books (esp. as I work in one) and buy LOTS of books but I don't end up reading any of my own. So..... my goal is to at least read as many of my own books each month as I buy. I am trying (hahaha) to not allow myself to purchase any books unless I have read some of mine and put them on bookmooch. The funny thing is, tho, that when I do read one of my own it is usually a re-read and/or a keeper.

Sometimes I drive myself nuts, but it's all part and parcel of being an obsessive booklover/reader. =)

message 31: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathry) I have so many books at home to read, I think I should not allow myself to put anymore books on my tbr shelf until I've knocked a bunch out!

message 32: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (lifeasabooknerd) I feel like you Kathryn...no new books until I've read at least 10 I ALREADY OWN...except for the new Sookie Stackhouse! Haha

message 33: by LibraryLass (new)

LibraryLass | 52 comments Yep, that's my goal too. My problem is that 50% of my books are historical romances which is a genre I haven't read in months!!!!

message 34: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathry) We should all make a pact to not add any more books until we have read a bunch from our tbr. I promise!

message 35: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

Kathryn and Michelle: You should join my Count Off Challenge. Basically you aren't supposed to buy books during the month and if you win the challenge you pick the next challenge. Check out the thread. It is a "book diet". To help cut down on book buying and help get that TBR pile down =O)

I may have mentioned this but I truly want to get my TBR pile down to 200 or less max. 50 or less min. 20 or less as an ultimate goal. I don't think I have all my books listed but it's pretty long. The challenges definitely are helping.

message 36: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathry) Thanks for the offer Kenjii. I've been looking at the posts for your challenege. The only reason why I haven't joined is that I have some books that I plan on buying for my birthday coming up (Sookie Stackhouse at the top of the list!).

I also have an awesome used book store here in town and I like going in and exchanging books, with a 50 cent charge, so I think that would count as buying books! I just haven't let myself buy a book unless i's already on my tbr list. That way, I cut down on the list and I continue to get new books (at least new to me!) Thanks for the offer. I'll see what the next challenge is but I don't think I can go long without buying a book. As long as I stick to my list, then I'll be good! But I certainly enjoy seeing how far everyone else in the challenge has gone!

message 37: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathry) I guess I just need to stick to not adding any more books to my tbr shelf. And, I've already found a loophole! If I'm in the middle of a series, then I can add the next book. I usually don't add an entire series because I don't know if I'll like it all. So, no adding for me unless I already have the series. How's that for a resolution! How long to do think it will last, a week, tops?

message 38: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (lifeasabooknerd) Haha, I think that's going against the rules, Kat, but I can see the reasoning and it makes sense to me!! I mean, its dumb to start a series and then not get to read the rest because you refuse to buy a book. Just don't start another new series until you've trimmed down your TBR list...good luck! At least you're a fast reader!

message 39: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathry) Yep, no new series for me!

message 40: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (boban) Just keep repeating it to yourself & MAYBE it will work. :)

message 41: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathry) Hey, you and others on my friends list will know if (or when) I break!

message 42: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (boban) I'll keep my eye on you - or maybe I'll just send you all the interesting series that I find mwah ha ha

message 43: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 11, 2009 12:26PM) (new)

books i would like to finish this Year:

Keri Arthur:
3. Tempting Evil
4. Embraced By Darkness
5. Dangerous Games
6. The Darkest Kiss

J.R. Ward:
2. Lover Eternal
3. Lover Awakened
4. Lover Revealed
5. Lover Unbound
6. Lover Enshrined
7. Lover Avenged
The Black Dagger Brotherhood: An Insider's Guide

this is so far.. there are more books that i will add.. this is for the year :)

message 44: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathry) Shanon wrote: "I'll keep my eye on you - or maybe I'll just send you all the interesting series that I find mwah ha ha"

My fiends are evil:) But it's true, you guys seem to find the best books and it's so hard to resist! I just need some self control!

message 45: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

I am already going to have to break my own rule. But I am no where near going to win this challenge anyhow. I am reading a darn good series and the newest book comes out this month. And I think the next one next month. I usually won't buy a book for any reason. There are a few books I want desperately. But since I am leading the discussion I figure that is the only good reason/exception =).

Each month is a new change to begin the challenge,so don't forget to try =)

message 46: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathry) I will, definitely. I love chllenges and I'll check out the March challenge next!

message 47: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathry) Alright, I couldn't even last a day. I had to add a book to my tbr list. What can I say, I'm an addict. Thought I'd better just admit it before anyone who notices starts ragging on me:)

message 48: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (lifeasabooknerd) I'm adding and adding and ADDING, I'm just not BUYING right now! Haha

message 49: by LibraryLass (new)

LibraryLass | 52 comments Just wondering what you guys do with your library books? I mean, do you list them as tbr's or something else??

message 50: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathry) Honestly, I haven't been to the library in months, especially with recently moving. Whenever I found something new, I would list it as currently reading. Usually though, I would go to the library with a list of books and hope to find one or two, same with the book store. Supposedly, that's how I knock off books from my tbr list:) I need to check out the library here for any loan/exchange programs. I use to have a library exchange shelf but I deleted it when I was doing some recent cleaning:)

« previous 1