Graphic Novel Reading Group discussion

Graphic Novel, Comics, etc. Q&A > Favourite Comic Books of 2012?

Comments (showing 1-42 of 42) (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sam (new)

Sam Quixote (SamQuixote) What have been your favourite comic books of 2012? Only books published this year can count.

Mine would be:

Scalped Vol 9 by Jason Aaron and RM Guera
Athos in America by Jason
Batman Earth One by Geoff Johns and Gary Frank
Wizzywig by Ed Piskor
Punisher: Homeless by Jason Aaron
Severed by Scott Snyder
Batman Inc by Grant Morrison

That said, we've still got 3 months left of 2012 so hopefully there'll be a few more to add.

message 2: by L (new)

L (DocHavock) | 6 comments Mine was Witchdoctor, hands down.
It has excellent art, writing and humor making fun of the TV show House.

message 3: by Seth (last edited Oct 04, 2012 03:43PM) (new)

Seth T. (sethhahne) | 63 comments Favourite Standalones of 2012 (in order of current preference)

Sailor Twain - one of all-time my favourite comics now
Building Stories - so far I'm only one-third through the various stories/media, but it's been powerful and diverse
Bloody Chester - quirky western goes in directions I didn't expect
The Moon Moth - interesting sci-fi, the art is chucnky but inventive
Sumo - a quiet book with a complex, thoughtful structure
Underwater Welder - potentially great but ultimately struggles with earning a satisfying ending
Blue - excellent surf-comic treating the alienation natives feel when their world is transformed by exterior elements
Blacksad: Silent Hill - more great Blacksad atmosphere and art
King City - bizarre, pun-filled sci-fi sneakthief romp
Baby's in Black - subdued visual meditation on the last days of Stu Sutcliffe (and therefore also on the early days of the Beatles)
Friends with Boys - fun, fresh high school melodrama, this year's anya's ghost
Ichiro - more thoughtful exploration of foreignness, inventive but struggles with pacing
Hilda and the Midnight Giant - whimsical, more of the same as Hildafolk
Spera - fantasy adventure project aimed probably at girls (my daughter will love it in a few years) and bolstered by fistfuls of authors

Favourite Continuing Series of 2012 (in order of current preference)

20th Century Boys - winding down (and wrapping in January 2013), a rollicking thriller that spans a generation
Cross Game - wrapping in November, one of the best romance comics written for a young male demographic I've read
Ooku - Yoshinaga's alt-history serial about a female shogunate continues apace, closing the last five volume's extended flashback
Saturn Apartments - Iwaoka brings us closer to sending a window washer to earth but the interpersonal touches continue to flourish
Twin Spica - series wrapped earlier this year, concluding volumes lacked the power of the earlier ones, but most readers should be satisfied
Bride's Story - volume is Good Comics but not Amazing Comics like volumes 1 and 2 were
Usagi Yojimbo - keeps trucking along, latest volume was alright save for the last story, which was stellar
Fables - last year was a good year for Fables, the latest volume was fine but rather a lull

message 4: by Portia (new)

Portia (PortiaDawn) | 3 comments Batgirl all the way.

Anna  (Bananas!) | 67 comments Saga by far. It's so bizarre and fun and the art is beautiful.
Also really into Gambit so far and Mind the Gap.

message 6: by Mike (new)

Mike | 289 comments Seth and Anna mentioned a good chunk of my 2012 favorites already:

Cross Game
Saga
Mind the Gap
Usagi Yojimbo

Also at the top of my list:
Claymore
Resurrection Man
Demon Knights

I really need to read 20th Century Boys at some point. Loved Monster.

message 7: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Clough (BrendaClough) | 162 comments I really enjoyed the "Toyland" arc in FABLES, which ended just recently. Superb.

Anna  (Bananas!) | 67 comments Brenda, how was the Superteam trade? I got stuck on that one.

message 9: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Clough (BrendaClough) | 162 comments It was not as good, frankly. The thing with comics is that since they're ongoing serials there is always some up and down. It is a rare title that is able to maintain awesomeness for years and years; soonoer or later that superb writer or the dynamite artist moves on (either artistically or in actual fact) and then there's a slump. However, this always-changing quality means that, unless the title sinks so badly they cancel it, it'll come back eventually.

message 10: by Sérgio (last edited Jan 04, 2013 10:43AM) (new)

Sérgio | 459 comments I don't think I read that many comics published this year...

Here's a really interesting list, though:

CBR's Top 100 Comics of 2012

message 11: by Kdawg91 (new)

Kdawg91 | 1 comments If you havent read the new Hawkeye series or the redone Fantastic Four or FF, you are missing out.

message 12: by Peter (new)

Peter | 150 comments Saga
Mind the Gap
Punk Rock Jesus
Rachel Rising
Sweet Tooth

message 13: by 'kris (new)

'kris Pung | 135 comments Saga
Sweet Tooth
Swamp Thing

message 14: by Omar (new)

Omar | 1 comments Batwoman Hydrology
Action Comics
Animal Man

message 15: by Adam (new)

Adam (adamhollander4) Hawkeye
Bataman
American Vampire
Swamp Thing
Daredevil
Before Watchmen: Minutemen
Saga

message 16: by Margreet (new)

Margreet Heer | 34 comments My own! Philosophy: A Discovery in Comics :D

Just kidding - I guess the most impressive graphic novel for me was Are You My Mother?

message 17: by J. (new)

J. Johnson (jwebbjohnson) 3rd issue of Xavier Dorrison's Le Labyrinthe d'Émeraude came out early this year, amazing series.

message 18: by Sam (new)

Sam Quixote (SamQuixote) @Adam and Ashley: which Hawkeye book are you talking about - the Hickman or the Fraction?

message 19: by Adam (new)

Adam (adamhollander4) Sam wrote: "@Adam and Ashley: which Hawkeye book are you talking about - the Hickman or the Fraction?"

Matt Fraction & David Aja of Course!

message 20: by Sam (new)

Sam Quixote (SamQuixote) Thought so, I've heard good things about that series, I'll definitely pick up the trade when it comes out later this year.

message 22: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (Rabbitearsblog) | 345 comments Saga, Vol. 1 was really good!

message 23: by Paul (new)

Paul bailey (paulbailey) | 4 comments mine would be chew, i read all the volumes available to me this year and fell totally in love with the weird and wacky world that was created

green arrow was also another character i enjoyed alot this year, after many years of reading green lantern i decided to give this character a whirl and was surprised, i off course read the most critically acclaimed books about this character. quiver both parts and year one biut i look forward to reading more.

finally wonder woman but this is an easy one because ive yet to find a book by brian azzerello that i dodnt enjoy, this is a character i was sceptical on but she remains one of the few dc new 52 titles im still reading and will continue to read.

message 24: by Ajay (new)

Ajay | 2 comments Saga is fantastic! Brian K Vaughan never disappoints..Loved Y The last man as well...

message 25: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (Rabbitearsblog) | 345 comments Paul wrote: "mine would be chew, i read all the volumes available to me this year and fell totally in love with the weird and wacky world that was created

green arrow was also another character i enjoyed alot ..."

I just got Chew and I'm definitely planning on reading it! Now it's time to see how good that comic is!

Ajay wrote: "Saga is fantastic! Brian K Vaughan never disappoints..Loved Y The last man as well..."

Definitely agree!!!

message 26: by Sam (new)

Sam Quixote (SamQuixote) @Ronyell: You just got Chew? Oooh, I envy you discovering that series for the first time – it is fantastic! Looking forward to your review.

message 27: by Ajay (new)

Ajay | 2 comments Oh God!I forgot chew! bizzare storyline but hilarious throughout!

message 28: by 'kris (new)

'kris Pung | 135 comments Yes Chew was a really fun read.

message 29: by Leigha (new)

Leigha | 4 comments Friends with Boys by Faith Erin Hicks is excellent. It targets a YA audience, and as with her other work, most notably Zombies Calling, addresses some key issues of adolescence and early adulthood. There are social, family, and supernatural dynamics which are really worth a look!

message 30: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (Rabbitearsblog) | 345 comments Sam wrote: "@Ronyell: You just got Chew? Oooh, I envy you discovering that series for the first time – it is fantastic! Looking forward to your review."

Yeah! I just read the first volume and I really loved it! I'm posting the review right away!

message 31: by Pranay (new)

Pranay | 50 comments I really liked Scott Synder's Court of owls & The Underwater Welder...

message 32: by Mokti (new)

Mokti | 4 comments Drama by Raina Telgemeier... Really good stuff.
Lil Depressed Boy by Struble and Grace... <3 the <3 drama.

message 33: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (Rabbitearsblog) | 345 comments Pranay wrote: "I really liked Scott Synder's Court of owls & The Underwater Welder..."

I've been wanting to read Court of Owls since I heard so many good things about it. I'll have to pick it up!

message 34: by Adam (new)

Adam (adamhollander4) Ronyell wrote: "Pranay wrote: "I really liked Scott Synder's Court of owls & The Underwater Welder..."

I've been wanting to read Court of Owls since I heard so many good things about it. I'll have to pick it up!"

It's Actually amazing. One of the best Batman stories ever.

message 35: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (Rabbitearsblog) | 345 comments Adam wrote: "Ronyell wrote: "Pranay wrote: "I really liked Scott Synder's Court of owls & The Underwater Welder..."

I've been wanting to read Court of Owls since I heard so many good things about it. I'll have..."

That's great! Now, I'm going to request it from the library!

message 36: by Adam (new)

Adam (adamhollander4) I'm so jelous that you'll get to experience it for the first time! #saga

message 37: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (Rabbitearsblog) | 345 comments Adam wrote: "I'm so jelous that you'll get to experience it for the first time! #saga"

Oh yeah! First time's always the charm!

message 38: by Adam (new)

Adam (adamhollander4) I also really loved Wonder Woman. The Greek Mythology setup is awesome and how they have made her an interesting character is fantastic.

message 39: by 'kris (new)

'kris Pung | 135 comments Adam wrote: "I also really loved Wonder Woman. The Greek Mythology setup is awesome and how they have made her an interesting character is fantastic."

Agreed I love the direction they took with Wonder Woman.

message 40: by Adam (new)

Adam (adamhollander4) I also have to say that The New 52 Flash series has been amazing as well. It's just so pure and a fantastic layered interconnected story that feels so epic and amazing.

message 41: by Eric (new)

Eric | 12 comments Saga, Hawkeye, Dial H, Manhattan Projects, Punk Rock Jesus

message 42: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (Rabbitearsblog) | 345 comments Eric wrote: "Saga, Hawkeye, Dial H, Manhattan Projects, Punk Rock Jesus"

I've heard a lot of good things about Hawkeye! I'll have to check that series out!