sistv bookworms discussion

Recommendations for light reading?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tara (new)

Tara | 13 comments Anyone have recommendations for light, fluffy (but preferably not too smutty) books? I'm open to chicklit, cozy mysteries, YA and children's books. I've been having trouble sleeping and generally a book helps, but the ones I've been choosing lately have been too intense and are making it worse :)

message 2: by Renae (new)

Renae (RenaeClark) | 58 comments Recently I read Shelter Me. This is such an enjoyable read. I'm looking forward to her next book. It think it fits the chicklit genre, but more sophisticated. I really enjoyed this author's writing style.

message 3: by *Lee* (new)

*Lee* Tara I have a few of those reads in my bookshelf if you look at my profile!

I really quite enjoyed Save Karyn, and Marion Keyes' Sushi for Beginners is a good light read too.

message 4: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (Kelly_L) Well, I love the Sookie Stackhouse Southern Vampire Mysteries. They make me laugh, they involve me, they are just on the tasteful side of romance and all in all a great quick read.

message 5: by Renae (new)

Renae (RenaeClark) | 58 comments I second the Sookie Stackhouse Southern Vampire Series. They are on my list of all time faves. I cannot wait until the 9th book is released this year! The series gets better with each book. Renae

message 6: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (audneal) I always thought the Janet Evanovitch novels made for good light reading, though they do get a bit repetitive/formulaic.

message 7: by Sarah.b (new)

Sarah.b I like anything by Meg Cabot or Jennifer Weiner, they are fast and fun.

message 8: by Tara (new)

Tara | 13 comments Thanks for the suggestions! I've put the first Southern Vampire book on hold at the library. I've read Save Karyn, Sushi for Beginners and some Jennifer Weiner and Meg Cabot - I'm a huge Meg Cabot fan, and she's so prolific that I'm sure there has to be quite a few books by her that I haven't read yet- thanks for reminding me to look those up. Shelter Me sounds wonderful - I just haven't decided if I want "heartbreak and loss" at 3 in the morning :) It's definitely gone on my "to-read" list, though. I tried the first Stephanie Plum a few years ago and it didn't click for me, but it may just be a timing issue, I'm usually a fan of light mystery series. I'll probably look at the next in the series next time I'm at the library.

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan (LadyMissSusan) | 19 comments Oh I'm reading the YA book series called The Luxe by Anna Godberson and I LOVE them. I'm on the 3rd one now and the 4th comes out later this year I believe. Turn of the century setting with romance and scandal. Fun easy reads and I love reading about the little details that they found so 'proper' at the time.

message 10: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (audneal) Susan wrote: "Oh I'm reading the YA book series called The Luxe by Anna Godberson and I LOVE them. I'm on the 3rd one now and the 4th comes out later this year I believe. Turn of the century setting with roman..."

I just picked up the second one in paperback and it's sitting on my to-read pile next to the couch (there's another pile on my desk, and one by my chair, and a third by my bed, *lol*). The third one is still just in hardcover, right?

message 11: by Susan (new)

Susan (LadyMissSusan) | 19 comments Audrey wrote: "Susan wrote: "Oh I'm reading the YA book series called The Luxe by Anna Godberson and I LOVE them. I'm on the 3rd one now and the 4th comes out later this year I believe. Turn of the century sett..."

Yes I think it might have just came out? Not sure. I picked it up at Wal-Mart so not to expensive.

message 12: by Susan (new)

Susan (LadyMissSusan) | 19 comments Oh I also recommend The Study Series: Poison Study, Magic Study and Fire Study. Again YA but VERY good I thought.

message 13: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 36 comments Ooh, those books YA books sound good. I'm reading some YA gay fiction right now. The first is Rainbow Boys, I think. I read the series in high school but now I'm taking a queer media class and I chose to write my mid term paper on YA gay fiction and the character stereotypes and the 'issues' that come up. This book is about 3 high school boys, one is the flamboyant, out kid while his best friend is in the closet and the other is just so confused and the start basketball player, typical jock. They deal with coming out, crushes, first kiss, and of course safe sex/HIV scare. I highly recommend the series because it really does give insight into the lives of gay teens, but of high school anywhere.

message 14: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (audneal) Jamie wrote: "Ooh, those books YA books sound good. I'm reading some YA gay fiction right now. The first is Rainbow Boys, I think. I read the series in high school but now I'm taking a queer media class and I ch..."

I don't know if you are looking for more YA gay fiction, but Heroes by Perry Moore is one I read not too long ago. It was okay, not great, but not terrible.