You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > November 2012 - Theme Nominations

Comments (showing 1-17 of 17) (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kat (new)

Kat (KatZombie) | 2478 comments Yep, I don't want to be reminded that November is only a month away either :) but this gives us more time for nominations.

You can nominate a theme, or even a category (e.g. authors born in November).

message 2: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (Rusalkii) | 12839 comments Ignoring this, as I am terrified :P

message 3: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (ShirleytheKindlereader) Sounds like a time for Thanksgiving and feasts.

message 4: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Sep 30, 2012 09:23AM) (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29692 comments This week is Banned Book Week. I know it will be long past by November 1st, but I still would like to nominate the theme of reading a book that has been banned.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

November contains Guy Fawkes night, when a bunch of slightly inept proto-revolutionaries tried to blow up the Houses of Parliament, which would contain the King, ministers & the government. They failed, btw, but we have an annual bonfire & fireworks night to celebrate the fact.

So in their honour, I'm going to suggest revolutionary ideas. Books by or about people and ideas that changed (or tried to change) the world.

message 6: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 2033 comments I'm going to nominate biograhies/autobioraphies of inspirational people

message 7: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5745 comments I like that, Kimberly. There are lots of books on my shelves that would fit that category.

message 8: by Silver (new)

Silver | 342 comments I am going to say Sea Voyages

message 9: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8146 comments November 11 is Veterans Day and Armistice Day. How about "A Soldier's Point of View", about war time and life after war.

message 10: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (Rusalkii) | 12839 comments Ooo... Jmom just got one of my favourite songs in my head with the line "November 11 was Armistice Day; A Bushranger was slaughtered and Gough was betrayed." So one of the most eventful dates is Aussie history.

But that aside... can I suggest "Outlaws" in honour of our infamous bushranger who got around with a garbage bin on his head? Could tie in the Guy Fawkes thing too maybe...

message 11: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5745 comments But that aside... can I suggest "Outlaws" in honour of our infamous bushranger who got around with a garbage bin on his head? Could tie in the Guy Fawkes thing too maybe...

I'm loving the way the themes are going for this month!
I was going to suggest pirates; they could go hand-in-hand with Rusalka's outlaws and Helen's revolutionaries, I suppose.

message 12: by Jada (new)

Jada Stuart (JadasArtVision) | 30 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "November 11 is Veterans Day and Armistice Day. How about "A Soldier's Point of View", about war time and life after war."

I like this idea! War seems like a good theme with a wide variety of books to choose from. :)

message 13: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (Tanya_) Rusalka wrote: "Ooo... Jmom just got one of my favourite songs in my head with the line "November 11 was Armistice Day; A Bushranger was slaughtered and Gough was betrayed." So one of the most eventful dates is Au..."

i LOVE the Whitlams - great to see them quoted ...

message 14: by Jada (new)

Jada Stuart (JadasArtVision) | 30 comments There are many great book adaptations that are about to be released this winter. I think it would be fun to revolve around reading books that have become movie adaptations.
The books that are about to be released as movies are:
The Great Gatzby
Anna Karenina
Les Miserables

Other possible books to read:
Water for Elephants
Twilight
the Notebook
Jane Eyre
the Count of Monte Cristo
(there are many more these are just the first that came to my head)

To make it more challenging you can require that adaptation had to be after 2000 or something like that. And future movies can be included if they provide a source to prove it's going to be a movie.

message 15: by April (new)

April | 970 comments Jada wrote: "There are many great book adaptations that are about to be released this winter. I think it would be fun to revolve around reading books that have become movie adaptations.
The books that are about..."

Good idea, Jada. I think the movie for Cloud Atlas Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell comes out this month. I wanted to read it before the movie came out, but this month is just too full. Its so hard to keep up on everything I want to read! Anyway, I do love your theme idea!

message 16: by Jada (new)

Jada Stuart (JadasArtVision) | 30 comments April wrote: "Jada wrote: "There are many great book adaptations that are about to be released this winter. I think it would be fun to revolve around reading books that have become movie adaptations.
The books t..."

I saw the preview to that. I didn't know it was a book. I can't wait to see that movie. :)

message 17: by Kat (new)

Kat (KatZombie) | 2478 comments Thanks all - what an awesome bunch of theme ideas!

The poll is now up: http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/72...

You'll love this one...!! A book club & more

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Cloud Atlas (other topics)