You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1)
This topic is about First Grave on the Right
Group Themed Reads: Discussions > October 2012 - First Grave on the Right

Comments (showing 1-50 of 87) (87 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat (KatZombie) | 2478 comments Discussion thread for First Grave on the Right.

message 2: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29851 comments I'm ready and raring... but will hold off until the Toppler.

message 3: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat (KatZombie) | 2478 comments I have so many books parked waiting for the Toppler! Deciding what to read next has become quite tricky.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I have this sitting on the desk, waiting to go. I might just dive right in, otherwise I suspect I will hit a book congestion issue later in the month. I've certainly got more books stacked for the toppler than I'm ever going to read in a week. can't imagine my boss allowing me time off to curl up with a good book. With an automation proposal, possibly, but not a good book!

message 5: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat (KatZombie) | 2478 comments October is going to be a huge reading month. I wonder if my boss would go with the idea of me having a day off to read. Nah...

message 6: by Connie (Ava Catherine) (last edited Sep 30, 2012 05:23PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Connie (Ava Catherine) | 4258 comments I am ordering this book. I'll be ready by the Toppler for certain!

message 7: by April (new)

April | 970 comments I agree with October being a huge month for reading. Now, if I can just read most of my books from my shelves instead of buying new ones!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I've started. Feels like it might take a few chapters to get used to the tone.

Jane Reads I finished it yesterday. I enjoyed it - four stars. I want to read the others in the series.

jaxnsmom | 8146 comments Oh well, another book where I'm in the minority :) I couldn't stand this book. I got tired of all the dreamtime sex, I kept waiting for the damned mystery to become the story. I felt sorry for the three dead bankers, having to wait until Charley could focus on something besides her sex life. Found out later this is a paranormal romance thriller whatever, so why it was advertised as a mystery is still a mystery to me. Other than that, I still didn't like the book enough to finish it. I found Charley to be irritating instead of entertaining.

Sorry, I get so mad when a book hooks me with it's premise, and then turns out to be something else.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Nope, jaxnsmom, you're not alone on this one. I finished it but certainly won;t be going back for the sequels. I found the writing style and Charley herself too annoying. It was such an interesting surmise but I'm afraid I was left utterly let down by it all. And I wouldn't have minded the sex so much if it had been written by someone who wasn't embarrassed by what they were writing.

my review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3203 comments I'll be reading this during the toppler.

message 13: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat (KatZombie) | 2478 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "Oh well, another book where I'm in the minority :) I couldn't stand this book. I got tired of all the dreamtime sex, I kept waiting for the damned mystery to become the story. I felt sorry for t..."

It is disappointing when a book turns out to not be what you thought it would be, but not in a nice way. Still waiting for the toppler for this one....is it time yet?

Connie (Ava Catherine) | 4258 comments I saved this one for the toppler.

message 15: by Almeta (last edited Oct 14, 2012 01:47PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Almeta (MenFromMarrs) | 7992 comments I'm reading this entire series.

Almeta's Review

Jennifer Brown | 126 comments I'm going to jump in and read this one. I'm trying to get involved again in these challenges. The Toppler is too confusing for me, so for right now I'll just take baby steps and join this month's book discussion. I keep joining challenges, and then life interferes so for now, one book at a time! :)

message 17: by April (new)

April | 970 comments Jennifer, life does get in the way sometimes! Glad to know you will be joining us for the group read!

I knew this book was going to bring me constant chuckles as soon as I read the first page. On page one of "Acknowledgements", Jones extends " A huge, heartfelt thank-you to" "Every member of my family, even the unstable ones." That had me ROFL!

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3203 comments I am reading this book and chuckling right along.

Jennifer Brown | 126 comments I started it as well, and it's making me laugh. It is one that I want to keep reading.. i think i'll finish it quickly. Which is great because I've been struggling to read a free book I downloaded for over a month... i finally gave up on it with only about 30% read! Again... just too much going on.... but this book is making me chuckle here and there! :)

April... I skipped the acknowledgments... I missed that one!

message 20: by April (new)

April | 970 comments Page 20 of my copy..."I wasn't into people pleasing." No kidding??? Even with the dead she could stand to be bit more empathetic! But, this is part of what makes her funny.

Love the intro to chapter 3' page 25
"Never knock on death's door. Ring the doorbell then run. He totally hates that. -T-shirt"

Almeta (MenFromMarrs) | 7992 comments April wrote: "Love the intro to chapter 3' page 25
"Never knock on death's door. Ring the doorbell then run. He totally hates that. -T-shirt"..."

Love all her t-shirts and bumper stickers!

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

See, i just found all of that made her seen so very childish - not a supposed adult.

message 23: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29851 comments I started the audiobook last night. I'm enjoying the light banter. Maybe this is just what I need right now - light fluffy nonsense.

I read Almeta's review and cracked up when she wrote, "Oh look! I'm all sweaty!"

message 24: by Connie (Ava Catherine) (last edited Oct 17, 2012 12:49AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Connie (Ava Catherine) | 4258 comments I'm on page 33, and I will have to say up front that this is not the sort of book that I usually read (actually I've never read anything like this); however, I am willing to give it a shot. I am intrigued thus far. It has just taken me a while to figure out the paranormal bit. I think the book will get better for me now that I understand the paranormal events.

I have been reading so many books about serious, heavy themes that I need a bit of fluff.

message 25: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat (KatZombie) | 2478 comments I'm at about page 50 myself - not my normal read either but I'm appreciating a bit of fluff right now!

Jennifer Brown | 126 comments I'm 44% through my copy and I have to say I'm enjoying the light read. I think the author created a character cross between Melinda on the Ghost Whisperer tv show and Stephanie Plum in the Janet Evanovich books.... a ghost whisperer w/an attitude that solves crimes . It's keeping my interest and giving me a chuckle here and there.

message 27: by Almeta (last edited Oct 17, 2012 06:58AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Almeta (MenFromMarrs) | 7992 comments Janice wrote: "I read Almeta's review and cracked up when she wrote, "Oh look! I'm all sweaty!" ..."

lol! I'm ashamed of myself for letting my heart race during certain scenes. I don't get why I have this reaction, because most of the time I feel as though she should feel violated. I mean he comes to her dreams (asleep or awake) without her really giving permission.

I guess it is just one of those "I can't keep my hands off you" moments.

message 28: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Dean (Alicia_Dean) I haven't finished, but it's okay so far. Not my normal thing, but then, I like 'dark and creepy.' :-) The humor is good in parts, but over the top in others. In my opinion, reapers lead souls to 'the other side' instead of trying to solve their murders. It seems like maybe Charley should be called something other than a reaper. But, the writing is VERY good. Quickly pulls you in and allows you to 'see' the story.

message 29: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29851 comments I think the author tried to make Charlie's character along the lines of a gum-shoe private detective complete with sarcasm. However, she comes across more flippant and a bit of a smart ass. I'm not sure it's working for me. Give me George from "Dead Like Me" any day. Now that's dry sarcasm.

But I shall continue. Maybe she will grow on me.

Almeta (MenFromMarrs) | 7992 comments Janice wrote: " Give me George from "Dead Like Me" any day. Now that's dry sarcasm...."

Love Dead Like Me.

message 31: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat (KatZombie) | 2478 comments Janice wrote: "I think the author tried to make Charlie's character along the lines of a gum-shoe private detective complete with sarcasm. However, she comes across more flippant and a bit of a smart ass. I'm not..."

I have to agree that the sarcasm does fall splat in a few places, but others had me smirking.

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3203 comments I am 50% done with this book and it's lost most of its humor and fast pace and is seeming dull at the moment.

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3203 comments Who's Dead like me by? Can't find it on Goodreads and what's up with the green buttons? They are distracting me.

message 34: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29851 comments Pragya wrote: "Who's Dead like me by? Can't find it on Goodreads and what's up with the green buttons? They are distracting me."

Dead Like Me is a tv program about a group of grim reapers. George is a teenager who was killed when I toilet lid from an airplane hit her. She came back as a grim reaper. They are given post it notes with name, time, and place. They have to mark the person for death and then assist him/her to the light. I loved that show but it's off air now.

The green buttons are the new thing on GR's for adding books.

message 35: by April (new)

April | 970 comments Jennifer wrote: "I'm 44% through my copy and I have to say I'm enjoying the light read. I think the author created a character cross between Melinda on the Ghost Whisperer tv show and Stephanie Plum in the Janet E..."

Jennifer, I too saw a very strong resemblance to Stephanie Plum.

message 36: by April (new)

April | 970 comments My parents finally left. And although I do miss them, 4 days of my Dad's non-stop talking and constant need for my undivided attention has left me a bit irritable and exhausted. Good news is, as soon as they left my house, I plopped myself down on the couch and finished First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones. Ahhhhh, I can't even express how desperately I needed that quiet reading time.

As with most of you, First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones is not my usual genre. However, I do like variety and I did need a fun bit of fluff. As with Jennifer, I saw a very strong resemblance to Janet Evanovich and her Stephanie Plum character. I read One For The Money (Stephanie Plum, #1) by Janet Evanovich but opted not to read the remainder of the series. I'm pretty sure I will do the same with First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones. I predict that the other books in this series are probably pretty much like the first.

My favorite part of the story was the love affair and the mystery surrounding Reyes. I did enjoy the humor and have a few quotes written down to add to my review. I'm not sure what I will rate the book, yet. I think I need to think about it for awhile.

message 37: by Connie (Ava Catherine) (last edited Oct 17, 2012 02:44PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Connie (Ava Catherine) | 4258 comments I am finished with this book, and I, too, liked the mystery surrounding Reyes as well as their love affair. I also liked Cookie, her true friend. The sarcasm did begin to grate after a few chapters, and the humor was a little flat; however, I desperately needed a light, fun book, and this fit the bill. I am also glad that I read a book outside my normal range.

Almeta (MenFromMarrs) | 7992 comments Connie wrote: "I also liked Cookie, her true friend. ..."

I can't remember when Cookie becomes more prominent, but she becomes the sane and grounding influence. She likes adventure but she stays away from the perilous. I like her a lot. She is a good counter-balance.

message 39: by April (new)

April | 970 comments I also liked Cookie, and I have written in my notes (for my future writing of a review) that I would love to be in Cookie's place. She seems to have a great job! And, she gets to enjoy all the drama of Charley without having to be Charley. Besides missing out on the fantastic love affair with Reyes, she really has the best position. Like first row seats at a concert! Also, she is working for her best friend! I really want Cookie's job!

I also have written in my notes that I think I would enjoy having Charley as a friend. She would be a fun friend and loyal, too.

message 40: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29851 comments Cookie is a great counter balance. I like her character a lot. And I think I'm falling in love with Reyes. *sigh*

Almeta (MenFromMarrs) | 7992 comments Janice wrote: "Cookie is a great counter balance. I like her character a lot. And I think I'm falling in love with Reyes. *sigh*"

So NOW we're fighting over yet another man, huh?

message 42: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29851 comments We have great taste Almeta!

Almeta (MenFromMarrs) | 7992 comments Janice wrote: "We have great taste Almeta!"

Agreed.

message 44: by April (new)

April | 970 comments Yes, I have decided that Reyes is the perfect spouse. He is there only when she needs him. The rest of the time she doesn't have to put up with him. No cooking for him, no laundry, no cleaning up after him, and no 24/7 football. No "man caves in the garage littered with beer cans and cigar butts. No annoying little quirks. Just darn good sex and very reliable protection. Yes, I like that idea! :)

message 45: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29851 comments It's getting better all the time.

message 46: by Almeta (last edited Oct 18, 2012 08:47AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Almeta (MenFromMarrs) | 7992 comments April wrote: "Yes, I have decided that Reyes is the perfect spouse. ..."

Yep, perfect, except for maybe the father-in-law problem.☻

message 47: by April (new)

April | 970 comments Almeta wrote: "April wrote: "Yes, I have decided that Reyes is the perfect spouse. ..."

Yep, perfect, except for maybe the father-in-law problem.☻"

oops! didn't think of that!

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3203 comments Janice wrote: "Pragya wrote: "Who's Dead like me by? Can't find it on Goodreads and what's up with the green buttons? They are distracting me."

Dead Like Me is a tv program about a group of grim reapers. Georg..."

Ah alright, thanks Janice.

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3203 comments Just finished reading it. I loved Cookie, she is so much fun and what a great friend.

LOL about Reyes, Janice and Almeta.

I think the book started off really well but soon began to lose its grasp on me. I am not sure if I will continue reading the series.

message 50: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29851 comments I finished the book tonight as well. The only redeeming feature in the book for me was the hot sex! My glasses were steamed up.

I didn't like Charley. I liked Cookie and Reyes. Um... loved Reyes. I even like the demon child in the Strawberries pj's. She was kind of sweet in her possessive way.

I thought Reyes was (view spoiler)

This book wasn't so much a mystery about the lawyers. It set up the relationship between Charley and Reyes. I guess that in itself was the mystery of this book. We knew right off the bat that Charley was THE grim reaper. But Reyes was a complete mystery. How did he tie in with "Bad"? What was he to Charley (other than the obvious dream lover)? All those questions didn't get answered till the end of the book.

« previous 1