Francophiles discussion

Readers > Perfume from Provence

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julia (new)

Julia Stagg | 17 comments Just finished Perfume from Provence, the first in a series written by Lady Winifred Fortescue based on her life in Provence in the 1930s. Despite a slight pretentious/patronising tone, (one has to make allowances for the era...) I enjoyed it immensely. (I'm beginning to sound like her!) Has anyone else read any of these books?

message 2: by Mark (new)

Mark Pryor | 15 comments I haven't, no, but what a crackingly splendid name, "Lady Winifred Fortescue." I'm surprised she got up to anything worthy of putting in a book, let alone a series, but as a sucker for all things French, and that era, I may have to check it out. Are you going to continue with the series?

message 3: by Julia (new)

Julia Stagg | 17 comments Much to my surprise, I think I will! They're an easy read and there's something beguiling about her descriptions of pre-WWII Provence - an innocence almost.

message 4: by Mark (new)

Mark Pryor | 15 comments On the list they go, then. :)

message 5: by Princessfaz (new)

Princessfaz | 12 comments Thanks for the recommendations, definitely sounds interesting!!

message 6: by M.J. (new)

M.J. | 5 comments I, too, enjoyed Lady Fortescue's book. I also agree that the writing was somewhat pretentious. I couldn't help wondering if Peter Mayle and Frances Mays didn't follow her legacy with their popular series along the same genre.

message 7: by Julia (new)

Julia Stagg | 17 comments Same thing crossed my mind, Mj! But I think it's the backdrop of the imminent war that makes her books stand out from the crowd. And the fact they were written before ex-pat memoirs became en vogue.