Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Member's Chat > Inkheart MOVIE--Post Thoughts Here

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 60 comments Just wondering if any of you have seen the "Inkheart" movie and would like to discuss your reactions. (There is a semi-related post, "Inkworld Trilogy" but I think this will focus more on those who have seen the film.) Please note whether you have also read the book.

message 2: by Kathryn (last edited Feb 09, 2009 10:56AM) (new)

Kathryn | 60 comments I saw the movie Saturday and I was disappointed. It was still decent and mostly entertaining, but I wanted SO much more. I really loved the book (despite it being a bit over-long and the fact that I never got into the sequel) and felt that the film just didn't capture the enchanted essence of the book.

***SPOILERS***
My guess is that the film is focused on a younger audience and decided to be more action-centered than character-centered. When we got to the abduction of Mo and Meggie (and Dustfinger's "traitorous" act in turning them in) about fifteen minutes into the movie (isn't it a lot farther into the book!?) I knew we'd be in for some changes.

I thought that the characters were all decent portrayals, but most of them were not very well developed in comparison to the book. Mo seemed like a more superficial character. Dustfinger really seemed the most dynamic. I thought Fenolgio was hilarious as portrayed by Jim Broadbent! ;-p But I didn't quite picture Elinor as Helen Mirren portrayed her. Meggie looked the part but again I just didn't really feel she was dynamic enough to be the true heroine of the film. Basta and even Capricorn were reduced to typical "bad guys"--I thought the great thing about the book is how they are truly terrible--I mean, few "children's book" villains are more complicated than Basta with his superstitions and evil knife-wielding and peppermint-breath. Again, this was all fringe in the movie.

I thought the cinematography was nice and the CGI of The Shadow was splendid. But, the story development was just not really all there. Sometimes it seemed a bit trite or over-dramatic (without really being effective). I have to think this is the fault of the directing, editing or script because of the fine actors involved. Also, I thought the ending was just all-wrong with Meggie writing the words on her arm and reading them aloud to change the plot--it seemed to really undermine the Finoglio link.

Anyway, what did you all think??? I didn't think it was a dreadful movie, just it didn't really capture the essence of the novel. My husband, who has not read the book, thought the movie was "pretty good" so maybe it is just book purists who will be miffed. OR, maybe it's just me...! (I mean, did Farid really have to wear shoes!? This is such a little detail, but it really shows that the directors/screenwriters/whoever were not tuned-in with the book because remember Farid never wears shoes!)

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann | 177 comments Well, Kathryn, since we saw this together and already discussed, it's probably pretty redundant to post my thoughts, too, but here goes:

I'm not sure I'd say I was disappointed in the film - it was just different from what I was expecting. I think, as a film, it was very good, and that I will enjoy it much more the second time I see it, as I will know better what to expect.

***SPOILERS***

Yes, I, too, think they were trying to aim for a broader/younger audience. The book, to me, has a rather dark/sad feel to it - not the entire book, of course, but it's not a very funny book most of the time. The movie had numerous funny moments that, to me, felt out of place. Upon reflection I don't think they were out of place in the context of the film, simply in my own context that I'd brought with me from my perceptions of the book.

I think a lot of the book had to be cut out to fit the time a film will allow. That said, I think they did a pretty good job of sorting through the lengthy book, but I did feel the movie could have been longer (it's not even two hours I don't think... again, perhaps trying to garner that younger audience?)

I think the actors were very good. Even if they weren't quite what I'd envisioned, they portrayed their parts well, especially given the script characters vs. the book characters. And the scenery and music was lovely. The thing I was happiest to see (well, two actually), that Gwin had his tiny horns, ;> and that I felt the portrayal of Mo and Meggie's relationship was good.
Though, I totally agree that Mo's character seemed to fall to the wayside and didn't really have a leading role in the movie or the plot.

Capricorn wasn't nearly as evil as I'd envisioned. Again, I think Serkis did a great job portraying the script-version of Capricorn, but it wasn't as I'd envisioned. And Basta wasn't as dynamic or varied as I'd hoped.

The alteration that the characters who'd been read out of books by Darius had writing on their faces was a little odd, but I understand where that was easier to explain in a movie than go into detail about each character's issues after they'd been read out of the book badly.

Yes, the Shadow was great! Much better than I was expecting!

I agree, also, the Farid wearing shoes kid of bugged me. At first I thought I'd be annoyed at the other changes (Toto instead of Tinkerbell, etc.) but those actually didn't bother me as much as I'd expected.

As for the ending. It struck me that those involved with the movie weren't sure if they would be able to make Inkspell, and as such, desired a happy ending for the Inkheart movie. I love happy endings, so I won't complain, but it was a little rushed and I was so shocked that I don't think I could really appreciate it fully. I think it all worked if you aren't familiar with the book. I haven't read Inkspell, so I have to wait to comment on Meggie's ability to rewrite Inkheart. And I *think* it will still work for them to make a second film, but again, I'll have to wait and see.

Anyway, those are my initial thoughts and I'm really curious to see the movie again because I think I'll get something entirely different out of my second viewing. :)

message 4: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
I haven't seen it yet.... but now I think I will go to the movie this weekend... I kept planing on it and putting it off!

message 5: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 60 comments I'll be excited to hear your thoughts, Angie! I hope you enjoy it.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann | 177 comments Yeah, I'm really curious for your thoughts, too Angie! :)

message 7: by Kara (new)

Kara (krwriter) | 2 comments I enjoyed the movie, but it wasn't nearly as good as the book (except for the fact that Brendan Fraser is in it!! :) ) I thought the characters were well cast, but the story seemed to move at a slower pace than I remember from the book. Also Basta and his men weren't really what I was expecting.

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann | 177 comments Yeah, I pretty much agree with you, Kara. :)
I was wondering if part of the reason that the movie felt like it moved slowly was because we have already read the book and pretty much knew what happened? I'm not sure... I guess I'd have to ask someone who hasn't read the book yet.

message 9: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 60 comments Yeah, they seemed to "modify" Basta & Co to make them more tame for a "kid's movie" whereas in the book I thought they were really evil and creepy!

message 10: by Ann (new)

Ann | 177 comments Ditto, Kathryn!

message 11: by SARA (new)

SARA (sarazzzz) I really liked it, it could have been better, longer maybe. But the cast was excellent, so was the special effects.

Dustfinger was supposed to have red hair, but after watching the movie, that thought just seens weird.

message 12: by Ann (new)

Ann | 177 comments I agree, Ashy. I think if the movie was a tad longer, it would have solved a lot of the things I felt were a little lacking. :)

message 13: by Sonja (new)

Sonja Cole (bookwink) Kara wrote: "I enjoyed the movie, but it wasn't nearly as good as the book (except for the fact that Brendan Fraser is in it!! :) ) I thought the characters were well cast, but the story seemed to move at a slo..."

Isn't it funny that Cornelia Funke had Brendan Frasier in mind when she wrote the books? He was her original model for Mo!

message 14: by Ann (new)

Ann | 177 comments I think that's so neat, too, Bookwink! And how wonderful for Funke to have him portray Mo on screen:)

message 15: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 72 comments I actually have'nt seen the movie, and wont have a chance to because it isn't in theatres anymore... but from what you have said about it... I don't think I missed much. A lot of people said the book was MUCH better.

message 16: by Ann (new)

Ann | 177 comments Yeah, I enjoyed the book more. The movie wasn't bad by any means, just different. If you get the chance to *rent* it, you might want to, but not like you missed out on the best movie ever in theaters... I wouldn't feel bad about missing it.

message 17: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (rainbowbrite98) I didn't like the book and I didn't like the movie.

message 18: by Jill (new)

Jill (jillber) | 20 comments I wasn't overly fond of the book, I thought it completely dragged at times and I skipped ahead to see when/if it picked up the pace.

I haven't seen the movie but I'm a big fan of Paul Bettany, I'd like to see what he did with Dustfinger, he's probably my favorite character in the book.

message 19: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (brlemon) | 149 comments It had been a long time between the time I read the book and the time I watched the movie. To me, it was a good movie and I enjoyed the acting. But to my daughter, who absolutely loved the books, she thought it was just okay. Her biggest problem was the ending and how they made it so that there would never be Inkspell and Inkdeath. I have to agree with her that the ending was too tidy. That being said however, my two younger sons who have never read the books, absolutely enjoyed the movie.

message 20: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Stinson | 23 comments I loved the book. I wasn't disappointed in the movie because I never expect a movie to be as good as a book. They just cannot get all the details and nuance into 2 hours onscreen. As movies go, this was good. I saw it awhile ago, so I don't remember why the movie didn't allow for sequels.

message 21: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
The movie was so so to me. I just felt like it didn't flow. No wonder the movie kept getting pushed back.

message 22: by Kritika (new)

Kritika (spidersilksnowflakes) I liked the Inkheart movie. It's been years since I read the book, so I can't really compare the two. I felt like the movie captured the essence of Dustfinger the best. I remember hating and feeling sorry for him throughout the book, and the same feelings cropped up while I watched the movie.

message 23: by Ann (new)

Ann | 177 comments I watched this again now it's out on DVD and enjoyed it more the second time. I think because I wasn't as frustrated at what was taken out. So, for a movie on it's own, I thought it was good. For an adaptation it was okay. I could understand why some of the alterations had to take place, but not all per say. But, I was entertained at the least, which is still staying something ;>

*Mrs. Brightside* I never read the book, but I saw the movie. The movie was pretty good. It encouraged me to want to read the book..I still havent read it yet..

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

haha i read the book and saw the movie... but the only thing i remember from the movie is when capricorn goest "what is that amazing gray stuff... ah, yes, duct tape! i love that stuff" haha i still crack up when i think about it :)