Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Movies of the Month > Coraline

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (moqlnkkn) | 7 comments Supposed 2 be good. . . haven't seen it yet, though

message 2: by Tera Marie (new)

Tera Marie (teradugan) I took my son to see it on Saturday. It followed the basic outline of the story, a few things changed here and there. It was good if you like Tim Burton's style of storytelling. It was nice and creepy.

message 3: by SLIM SHADY (new)

SLIM SHADY Gontier (HeroesFreak) | 254 comments Omg this movie is such a Tim Burton film but it looks pretty good.

message 4: by Alex DeLarge (new)

Alex DeLarge | 851 comments This isn't a Tim Burton film...it's a Henry Selick film based on Neil Gaiman's novella.

message 5: by Stephanie (last edited Feb 10, 2009 08:55PM) (new)

Stephanie | 85 comments Tim didn't have anything to do with the movie...did he??

Henry was the director for Nightmare Before Christmas which was written by Tim Burton...

message 6: by Jill (new)

Jill (wanderingrogue) | 123 comments Stephanie, to the best of my knowledge, Tim Burton had nothing to do with Coraline. This was Selick and Gaiman's project. Mainly Selick.

message 7: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 85 comments Yeah I thought so..it was all created here where I live in Portland, Or...I didn't get to go to the world premiere though!

message 8: by Miranda (new)

Miranda (Miranda0) | 18 comments i saw it on the 7th. it was pretty good

message 9: by K (new)

K | 39 comments Can't f-ing wait!

message 10: by Danielle (last edited Feb 26, 2009 08:21AM) (new)

Danielle (daniness) | 4 comments I remember reading this book w/the kids, and the other mom and the (buttons) were the best. Really creepy . I would ask my oldest if she would prefer her other mom when she was naughty.Okay so I'm not a perfect parent. Can't wait to see this.

message 11: by Anna (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 465 comments I have to wait like two weeks to see the movie - Polish premiere is on March 13.

message 12: by Jill (new)

Jill (wanderingrogue) | 123 comments It was very cute. You guys definitely have to watch it in 3D. The Other Mother was very creepy. Good work all around.

Rebecca ♥ Warner, Kishan, Magnus ♥ I have read other Gaiman books but not Coraline, so I cant really compare to the book. But the movie was just ok, imo.

message 14: by Ninja (new)

Ninja (NinjaFanpire) | 58 comments Really good movie! Great for kids, aside from the slight creepy/scariness of the other mother. Reading the book right now, never have before.

message 15: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (LeslieHealey) | 6 comments You know, Neil Gaiman is a goodreads member-read his blog. he is as interesting as his books.

message 16: by Wybie (new)

Wybie Lovat (WybieLovat) | 2 comments This is a simply amazing movie.. lol. XD I'm a tad obsessed. :D
Wasn't NEARLY as creepy as the book, and despite what people say this IS a childrens movie. Aside from the creepiness of an Other World, where things are the same, but better, and then it all goes down hill and everything turns into a nightmare, this movie is very-family friendly. :3

message 17: by Ninja (new)

Ninja (NinjaFanpire) | 58 comments I am working on reading the book. I can see you are obsessed, Wyborn!

message 18: by Wybie (new)

Wybie Lovat (WybieLovat) | 2 comments Why yes, yes I am. XD WHY-were-you-born.... XD

In Case of Emergency, Dial C for Cutesy Chick! | 15 comments OOOOOOOOOOH, i loved coraline! the animation's amazing! it deserves an oscar nom!

message 20: by SLIM SHADY (new)

SLIM SHADY Gontier (HeroesFreak) | 254 comments ok does anyone here know the oldies band They Might Be Giants? I hope Im not the only one.....

message 21: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 85 comments I do...:)

message 22: by Ninja (new)

Ninja (NinjaFanpire) | 58 comments I've heard of it

message 23: by Holli (last edited Mar 27, 2009 03:53PM) (new)

Holli They Might Be Giants are now considered an "oldies band"? Oh wow. I'm that old now that stuff I listened to is oldies music.....?? :)

message 24: by Jill (last edited Mar 27, 2009 06:04PM) (new)

Jill (wanderingrogue) | 123 comments Ariel wrote: "ok does anyone here know the oldies band They Might Be Giants? I hope Im not the only one....."

"Oldies Band"?!?! I'll snatch you bald for that!!

...Just as soon as I find my cane...and get my power lift chair to work...Right after I find my Nirvana t-shirt.

...I need my nap.

(Yes, They Might Be Giants did do the music for Coraline.)

message 25: by Ninja (new)

Ninja (NinjaFanpire) | 58 comments Oh did they really?

message 26: by Holli (new)

Holli That was funny Jill....is Pearl Jam considered oldies now too?? God what else are they playing on the classic station that I listened to in high school.... LOL

message 27: by Jill (new)

Jill (wanderingrogue) | 123 comments NinjaFanpire wrote: "Oh did they really?"

Well, specifically, the "Other Father Song" was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coraline...

The "Other Father Song":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSsO2-...

message 28: by Jill (new)

Jill (wanderingrogue) | 123 comments Holli wrote: "That was funny Jill....is Pearl Jam considered oldies now too?? God what else are they playing on the classic station that I listened to in high school.... LOL"

I suddenly feel a great swell of sympathy for my mother. Now I know how she must have felt, having me refer to her music as "oldies".

message 29: by SLIM SHADY (last edited Mar 28, 2009 08:09AM) (new)

SLIM SHADY Gontier (HeroesFreak) | 254 comments Jill wrote: "Ariel wrote: "ok does anyone here know the oldies band They Might Be Giants? I hope Im not the only one....."

"Oldies Band"?!?! I'll snatch you bald for that!!

...Just as soon as I find my cane...."

Well techincally they would be an oldies band cause when they started out together they were a two man band. John F. playing the guitar, and John Linell playing the Accordian.

YES IM NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO LIKES TMBG!!!!! I havent heard that song before but I've seen them in concert!!! John Flansbur was a blast... AND JOHN LINELL IS AWESOME!!!!!! They are coming back to NoDa in June and my fam is probably going to see them again!!! Does anyone know David Byrne? or should I say Talking Heads?

message 30: by Jill (new)

Jill (wanderingrogue) | 123 comments I'm a fan of Talking Heads too. I don't think it's possible to be a movie buff and be unaware of the Talking Heads. They're pretty much on every soundtrack out there. They even made it onto the Little Monsters soundtrack ("Road to Nowhere").

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0848088/

message 31: by SLIM SHADY (new)

SLIM SHADY Gontier (HeroesFreak) | 254 comments wow sweet I started liking talking heads when I was like 12 and then I got to see David Byrne in concert with my dad last year at the Oven's Auditorium here in Charlotte... It WAS AMAZING!!! I have some pictures of it on my Facebook... do you have one?

message 32: by Holli (new)

Holli Glad to see you like our "oldies" music Ariel....that's really refreshing actually.

Jill....I sincerely know how my mom must have felt now when I called her music oldies. I feel bad for that now! ;)

message 33: by Ninja (last edited Mar 29, 2009 04:13AM) (new)

Ninja (NinjaFanpire) | 58 comments Jill wrote: "NinjaFanpire wrote: "Oh did they really?"

Well, specifically, the "Other Father Song" was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coraline...

The "Other Father Song":

http://www.youtube.co..."

Oh I really liked that song even before I saw the movie.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Um...I don't at all see how They Might Be Giants starting as a two person band makes them "technically" oldies.

Also I don't really think that they will ever be considered "oldies" since "oldies" is more of a genre than a description of how old a song is. Eventually they'll just be lumped in as part of the first wave of "alternative," most likely. Oldies will still be oldies.

And on a separate note, I was really curious about Coraline.

message 35: by SLIM SHADY (new)

SLIM SHADY Gontier (HeroesFreak) | 254 comments Well that's how they began as a two man band. Then they rapidly grew into drums and that sort of stuff mabey you should read it on wikipedia or watch their documtentary. They didn't start together like this year it was a long time ago. If you want to and don't believe me, its call A Tale of Two Johns.

message 36: by Holli (new)

Holli I think what Mike is trying to say Ariel is that "oldies" is like 50's music and They Might Be Giants are an alternative band that started awhile back. They formed in 1982 when I was 8 years old and I'm 35 now so it seems strange to us that you are classifying them as an "oldies group".

message 37: by SLIM SHADY (new)

SLIM SHADY Gontier (HeroesFreak) | 254 comments They pretty much started in the 50s. they were like in their teens like 17 and stuff.

message 38: by Jill (last edited Apr 06, 2009 06:48AM) (new)

Jill (wanderingrogue) | 123 comments Ariel wrote: "They pretty much started in the 50s. they were like in their teens like 17 and stuff."

They...didn't start in the '50s. The band started in the '80s, as Holli up there said. People born in the '50s typically had their own children in the '80s.

message 39: by SLIM SHADY (new)

SLIM SHADY Gontier (HeroesFreak) | 254 comments ok but then wouldn't they be called an oldies band then?

message 40: by Jill (new)

Jill (wanderingrogue) | 123 comments If you did you'd have to call The Flaming Lips, Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails, and Radiohead, among others, "oldies bands."

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Oldies is something entirely different. Its become a genre of its own which has a more or less distinct sound, not something which means "more than 10 or 20 years old." I completely believe you that they were a two man band, and they did start in the 80s, but that has no connection to, and in fact completely precludes them from being an oldies band--unless they strove to sound like "oldies," which they didn't.

message 42: by Holli (last edited Apr 06, 2009 12:42PM) (new)

Holli Thanks Jill....and Mike....I'm at a loss here. I feel ancient. LOL ;)

Ariel...if you look They Might Be Giants up in Wikipedia as you suggested Mike do previously you would see that they started in 1982. They haven't been around as long as you think they have.

message 43: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 85 comments Wow I feel super old...

message 44: by Holli (new)

Holli When i start hearing Pearl Jam and U2 and Nirvana being called oldies bands by someone I'm gonna die....I'll really feel ancient then!! LOL

message 45: by Della (new)

Della | 7 comments I read Coraline the book--I thought I might like the movie, but I didn't have the motivation to go see it before it went out of theatres. The book was pretty good.

message 46: by Ninja (new)

Ninja (NinjaFanpire) | 58 comments I started to read the book. There are a lot of differences, I was picking out so many differences it was ridiculous. (Down to the color of her jacket.)

message 47: by Ceci (new)

Ceci (CeciAlbiceleste) | 529 comments I love the Gaiman book and throughly enjoyed the movie too... Never has 3-D looked as beautiful and magical. A really wonderful film. I do hope that this time Selick gets the credit he's due... as everyone only remembers Tim Burton when TNBC is mentioned. *sigh*

message 48: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (ChristyLeighStewart) I wanted to see this until I heard it was in 3D, so I decided to wait to see it at home.

I've never liked 3D. When I was two years old, my parents took me to a 3D Michael Jackson concert. Apparently, back then child abuse was legal.

Oh, and may God rest his soul.

message 49: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 8 comments I'm ashamed to admit it, but prior to my friend asking if I wanted to attend a Coraline screening, I had no knowledge of this book/movie. Luckily, I went to the screening and Neil Gaiman happened to be there! Amazing. The film blew me away, it's both enchanting and unnerving. I recently read The Graveyard Book for a fantasy/horror class, and once again I was caught up in the mysticism and boundless imagination of Mr. Gaiman. I can't wait to buy Coraline on DVD. :)

message 50: by Ceci (new)

Ceci (CeciAlbiceleste) | 529 comments I must add though -- why was the boy in the movie? It was so pointless. He was not in the book and was really very annoying as a character. Why not just the girl and the cat?

« previous 1