Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4) Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire discussion

Beauxbatons

Comments (showing 1-19 of 19) (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elizabeth Day It's rather silly that I'm asking this, because I'm rereading this book so I'll find out soon enough. But, in the movies Beauxbatons is an all-girls school. But in the books for some reason I thought that J.K. Rowling said something about it being a boys and girls school. Does anyone remember if it is only girls or both girls and boys?

Claudia the Night Owl I think it was boys and girls but then I haven't read the book in years.

Luna Belle Pris It was a boys and girls school in the book. Parvati, Harry ' s date to the ball , was even asked by a boy from Beauxbatons to dance p 421 ;-)

Elizabeth Day Wow thanks for all the help! Now I know I wasn't totally imagining things!

Avani In the books, it's a co-ed school.

message 6: by Ria (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ria Ali i guess i liked the potrayal of beauxbatons more in the movies rather in the books. i mean they are all girls and i think its a romantic place to study in.
ice sculptures and statues, silver white lights, huge caravans.

Ciara In the book, it was a mixed school, yes.
In the movie, however, it was an all-girls school.

Farheen Couldn't they keep it a co-ed in the movie too???why DO they have to change every little detail from the book in the movie????

Jeni It didn't bother me at all. The champion from Beauxbatons was a girl, so make them all girls. Doesn't really matter to the larger story arc that needed telling in the movie.

You have to keep in mind, also, that movies are not literal translation of books to screen--very few authors have that luxury (Shakespeare is the only one that comes to mind, actually).

I view movies as more of a "Cliff's Notes" version of a book. You always get more from a story if you read it, but the general gist is enough to be going on with if you've not read the whole thing.

Farheen Well that's when u haven't read it......not when u have.....and there's majority of HAVING read.....anyways.....little details do matter.....to me atleast .......those little details weave up the bigger ones.....

message 11: by Jeni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jeni Farheen wrote: "Well that's when u haven't read it...not when u have...and there's majority of HAVING read...anyways...little details do matter...to me at least...those little details weave up the b..."

I find myself going along with the book in my head, though. If the characters do something, I know why because I've read the books and it's seamless in my comprehension of the story on screen. I don't need the movie to tell me every little thing.

When I see a movie and I've not read the book, I'm blissfully unaware there are actual details I'm missing out on and can get the idea most easily. But after seeing a movie I adore, I'll hunt down a book if there is one, and read it before watching the movie again.

It's not necessary to put every detail in a movie or they would all be 8 hours long! I like the surprises and little "secrets" a book has that a movie does not. It's like I have this confidential pact with the author to know these things and the people who haven't read are missing out!

Helen Stevens Jeni wrote: "It didn't bother me at all. The champion from Beauxbatons was a girl, so make them all girls. Doesn't really matter to the larger story arc that needed telling in the movie.

You have to keep in ..."

Love your way of looking at movie adaptations! Great way of putting it. Page to screen very rarely CAN be literal as things that work on paper won't always work on the screen, plus there are limits to what can be done in the time etc - I always get frustrated when people complain that a movie didn't match the book TO THE LETTER.

If the movie of Goblet was exactly the same as the book, it would be about 15 hours long!

Best cut from the book to the screen? The removal of S.P.E.W. THANK GOODNESS that was axed.

Laura In the book Beauxbatons is a co-ed school (boys and girls) but in the movie the producers decide to have one all-boys school (Durmstrang) one all girls school (Beauxbatons) and one boys and girls school (Hogwarts).

message 14: by Leah (new) - added it

Leah Laura wrote: "In the book Beauxbatons is a co-ed school (boys and girls) but in the movie the producers decide to have one all-boys school (Durmstrang) one all girls school (Beauxbatons) and one boys and girls s..."

exactly

Isabella (All Da Ladies Luv Leo) Thomas Laura wrote: "In the book Beauxbatons is a co-ed school (boys and girls) but in the movie the producers decide to have one all-boys school (Durmstrang) one all girls school (Beauxbatons) and one boys and girls s..."

Very true

Zerah Yes it is a co-ed school because I remember there was something about a Beauxbatons boy at the Yule Ball!

Charleen Honestly I think people who only watch the movies aren't 'true' Harry Potter fans. I'm not hating on them, it's just like a pet peeve. I think Beauxbatons is a really nice name for a French school, too. :)

Zerah I guess it's much more dramatic when there's one of each, a boys school, a girls school and co-ed. The producers probably thought it'll look much better.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Farheen wrote: "Couldn't they keep it a co-ed in the movie too???why DO they have to change every little detail from the book in the movie????"

Well JKR was part of the producers and worked tightly with the Harry Potter film cast so if she allowed it to be an all girls school then it must not have mattered