What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

An Old-Fashioned Girl
This topic is about An Old-Fashioned Girl
SOLVED: Children's/YA > Classic young adult novel? Similar in plot to Mansfield Park [s]

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 3 comments It's one of those classic (possibly penguin?) books along the same grain as Little Lord Fauntleroy by Frances Hodgson Burnett, i.e. written quite probably a century+ ago. It was about a pleasant little girl (Pollyanna-esque good will) who is sent to live with her wealthy relatives (including a red-headed male cousin...this stood out because she later fell in love with him) due to some unfortunate circumstances. I can only remember that she grows up with said relatives but then goes away to, I assume, begin her adult life independently as a teacher?, and upon her return there has been a change of fortune for the once well-off relatives. They're now in dire straits, prospects grim, and she's there with her humility and grace to console and assist. I remember the title had something to do with the main character, perhaps to do with becoming a Lady... Anyway, it was a strange (silly) title but very good book. It must have had an impact, since I cried at the ending and happen to remember it to this day. Thanks!

Wyntrnoire | 17 comments This sounds very like An Old-Fashioned Girl by Louisa May Alcott--a book I have read and reread:)

Wyn

message 3: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) An Old-Fashioned Girl by Louisa May Alcott is one of the slightly older covers.

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 3 comments Wyntrnoire wrote: "This sounds very like An Old-Fashioned Girl by Louisa May Alcott--a book I have read and reread:)

Wyn"

That's the one! Thank you very much :D

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 3 comments Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "An Old-Fashioned Girl by Louisa May Alcott is one of the slightly older covers."

Thank you! Here I thought I'd have to purchase it.

Wyntrnoire | 17 comments You're very welcome!

Wyn