Fast Times At Sunnydale High discussion

General Chat > Comic Books

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Did any one like the buffy comic books???

message 2: by Marc (new)

Marc (AuthorGuy) | 83 comments I have them all (Buffy SEason 8) so far, as well as the Angel series. Aside from bringing Warren back I won't complain too much. Sometimes they try too hard or not enough to make the character look like the real-life actor. Doesn't always work out. The storylines are quite confusing, though, not at all sure where they're going with this.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

i have only read a few of them

message 4: by Marc (new)

Marc (AuthorGuy) | 83 comments They are basically mini-story arcs in the Buffy series, 3-4 issues per story with single issue stories in between. The stories are chronologically related but don't appear to be otherwise, except for the overarching story arc for the season, which appears to be a government/military plot led by someone called Twilight against Buffy and her army of Slayers.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

i think it seems kinda weird

message 6: by Marc (new)

Marc (AuthorGuy) | 83 comments And a 16 year old girl with a stick against nighthaunting demons isn't wierd?

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

well it is more or less normaler than the other one

message 8: by Marc (new)

Marc (AuthorGuy) | 83 comments It's true, they do wierd stuff, mainly because they can. Dawn's a giant, and then a centaur. If I have a problem with it, it's that they depart from the original show a bit radically in some cases and it violates the logic and integrity of the show. Bringing Warren back is the major villain there. There are a lot of people on the IMDB.com Buffy board who agree with you, BTW.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

dawn being a giant is just plain WEIRD

message 10: by Marc (new)

Marc (AuthorGuy) | 83 comments Japanese vampires making a giant Dawn-zilla robot is even more weird.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

well yeah but what ever

message 12: by Kay (new)

Kay (Bubblecat) | 9 comments It's definately more "out there" imho. Joss is writing/plotting it, so I'm on board, as I'm presuming he has the story mapped out.

You can do a lot more weird stuff in a comic though, you don't have to think about cost and or health and safety of actors, lol!

I've got them all so far - I find them easier to read, or the story flows better if you buy them in graphic novels (i.e. wait for a bunch of them in a book).

Joss stated that there will be a season 9 though - I'm interested to see where it ends. He's also stated that if there was any chance of continuing on TV/Movies then he wouldn't have too big a deal ignoring the comics though. Interesting that!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

its just 2 weird

message 14: by Libby (new)

Libby | 9 comments Just joined the group -
My two cents - I like the comics simply because they continue the story and there is something to be said for a written medium where you aren't under any constraint story wise - but they lack the show's magic. The actors did their characters so well and interacted on many levels. The comic just can't show that. And it's gone a lot further than the show plot-wise. Admittedly, I don't like having more than a few Slayers - sorry but there it is.

message 15: by Christina (last edited Apr 09, 2009 03:02AM) (new)

Christina I have the first two graphic novel from season 8. In some cases, I feel the characters are badly drawn so it's hard to see who's who. And the storylines are a bit weird - but it's Joss Whedon, it's Buffy - it's better than nothing ;-)
And sometimes the whacky humor does come through really well so at least for that, I'll keep buying them.
But if he got a chance to take it back to TV/movies, I sure hope he does - if he can get the original cast on board!

message 16: by Marc (new)

Marc (AuthorGuy) | 83 comments The original cast is far too old for much except playing Honored Elder types of characters. That works for me, as Buffy was the least interesting character as far as I was concerned.

message 17: by Christina (new)

Christina Maybe there could be some years between season 7 and any future seasons.
I'd hate to see Buffy without Spike, Giles, Willow and Xander ...

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

ya maybe