Buddy Reads > The Ritual by Adam Nevill/October 2012

Comments (showing 1-26 of 26) (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23558 comments Reading:
Tressa
Lauren
Melissa

Are you ladies still reading this for October? I'm a little surprised the Kindle edition is $10.

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I have purchased it if you are still interested. You will have to tell me how we do this Buddy Read thing. :-)

message 3: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1583 comments Read my 2 cents before you spend your $10.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 4: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Well, 11811, I shall give it a whirl...thanks for the review.

message 5: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23558 comments Melissa, I put the book on hold at the library. If you are offering a loan, I will gladly take the offer if I can't get it for some reason. Look on my Kindles for Loan shelf and let me know if you would like to borrow anything.

You can go into the Buddy Reads thread and ask if anyone would like to join you reading a certain book in a certain month of the year. When that month comes up I will create a thread so everyone interested can discuss the book. This way you don't have to keep waiting for a book to win in a group read poll.

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (love4leo) | 141 comments I'm still reading it! I finished my classes today so I have a whole week to read it.

message 7: by Scott (new)

Scott Harris (ttownscott) | 27 comments I just got it from the library. It was one of the options for October in the paced reading horror and thrillers reading group. Starting on it today.

message 8: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23558 comments I'm still reading Salem's Lot but will start in this one right away.

message 9: by Trudi (new)

Trudi (trudistafford) | 40 comments I'll be very curious to see what you guys think. While it's true the second half takes a weird turn, the last 50-60 pages made up for it in my mind. Have fun!

message 10: by Scott (new)

Scott Harris (ttownscott) | 27 comments I'm about 30% through. They've spent the first scary night in the cabin and gone on. Getting on each other's nerves and are lost, cold and hungry camping on the dense forest trail. Dying to know what happens next.

message 11: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23558 comments I've stayed up late reading this book and found myself carving out chunks of time over the weekend in order to get further along in the story. It's certainly an odd book. I've got about three or four chapters left before I'm finished. It's certainly different and I did not expect the second part of the book to turn out the way it does. I thought the first part of the book was a little slow going, but well written.

message 12: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Still waiting for my copy to come in!! Aaarrgghhh!!!

message 13: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (love4leo) | 141 comments I'm half-way through with the second part. I'm really enjoying it so far, and I hope it doesn't disappoint at the end.

message 14: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1583 comments I thought the first part moved along pretty well. I also may just have a fear of being hunted. For some reason the second part of the story really turned me off, like it didn't belong in the same book.

message 15: by Scott (last edited Oct 15, 2012 12:27PM) (new)

Scott Harris (ttownscott) | 27 comments I am so dying to get to this controversial 2nd part. Like the first part. After having been on a 10 day wilderness hike and struggling with the map I can appreciate the first part.

message 16: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1583 comments Scott wrote: "I am so dying to get to this controversial 2 part. Like the first pat. After having been on a 10 day wilderness hike and struggling with the map I can appreciate the first part."

I'm never entering the wilderness again. Wilderness = Bad.

message 17: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23558 comments I have no sense of direction; I panic when I get lost in my own neighborhood, safe in my SUV with the leather seats. I can't imagine what it's like to be out in the wilderness and walking around in circles for days.

Not sure I'm liking the second part of this story. Seems kind of pat. But I haven't reach the big finale yet.

message 18: by Tressa (last edited Oct 15, 2012 08:52PM) (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23558 comments OK. I finished this one up tonight. What Luke goes through is very exhausting and emotional...for the reader! Nevill does an excellent job putting us inside Luke's mind while he works through the painful, debilitating, humiliating, frightening, inexplicable thing that is happening to him. If ever a situation called for one of those "Oh, the humanity!" exclamations, this is it. How many times can his face get pummeled? How many times can he face the last seconds of his life before surviving to go on to the next torturous incident that could end his life? His is a nauseating journey and the second half of the book was very hard for me to read.

That said, the book is kind of muddled, or perhaps I didn't grasp what was going on. How did the three goth punks end up there? How come the government doesn't know about what is happening on this land and do something about it? How come the old lady didn't get that thing to kill the teens? What were those old things up in the attic? Who were all the victims of the bones found in the church and in other places? Do that many people go missing there? What happened to the people that used to live there? I called myself paying close attention to the story, but for some reason a lot of details either went over my head or weren't explained clearly.

I thought the first part of the book dragged a little. There were some intense moments and it was interesting to see how these four friends engaged one another and struggled with their own problems back in the real world.

I had great expectations about meeting an ancient evil in the second part of the book, and I think being introduced to the garden-variety teen goth murderers really slowed the book way down for me. They were too...common for this story and felt out of place.

But it was a good story that I couldn't wait to get back to. I'd give this book three and a half stars.

message 19: by Lauren (last edited Oct 17, 2012 10:57PM) (new)

Lauren (love4leo) | 141 comments I enjoyed this book, but had too many questions that were left unanswered. And I'm not too happy about the way it ended. Honestly, I felt like I was reading a sequel without knowing there was a first book. Although, I felt that Nevill did a great job with the execution and the "horror feel" as a whole. The book was a page turner that I enjoyed picking up and couldn't wait to get back to so I could find out what was going to happen next. I would recommend this book to friends.

message 20: by Scott (new)

Scott Harris (ttownscott) | 27 comments Finished the book last night. I have to say that I was apprehensive about Part 2 based on other reviews. In the end I liked what Nevill did with the entire book. For Luke it took a deamon to help him work through his deamons and to have a productive use for his bottled up anger. I gave it 4 and a half stars.

message 21: by Tressa (last edited Oct 20, 2012 03:17PM) (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23558 comments Glad you liked it, Scott. I was also glad that Luke was (view spoiler) Good point.

Nevill did a fantastic job relaying the anguish of what happened to Luke physically and mentally throughout his ordeal to the reader. I could not believe the suffering that man had to go through. It's almost like his (view spoiler)

message 22: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (love4leo) | 141 comments I agree, Tressa.

message 23: by Scott (new)

Scott Harris (ttownscott) | 27 comments This morning in the shower my thoughts came back to the 2nd part of The Ritual and Luke's conversations with the metal-heads. Reminded me a bit of A Clockwork Orange making me think that Nevill's point in writing the book was to be a commentary on youth growing up with everything they need and their rebellion to that? Does that make sense?

message 24: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1583 comments Scott wrote: "This morning in the shower my thoughts came back to the 2nd part of The Ritual and Luke's conversations with the metal-heads. Reminded me a bit of A Clockwork Orange making me think that Nevill's p..."

I can see that. He did spend a lot of time focusing on the different economic statuses of the four friends and how it affected their relationships compared to when they were all on equal ground during their college years. And in the end none of it mattered. I'm not sure what did matter though. Survival? Seems like there should be more to it than that but the second part of the novel is still a big question mark for me.

message 25: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23558 comments Those three turd kids did remind me of many I've read about who are privileged and bored so they turn to rioting and killing. I don't think I'll ever forget the fat girl who made them all chuckle when she cut the toes off some guy and he tried to run away from them. My dear God.

I was so happy when Luke felt the tender hands and concerned voices of supposed help when his friends were dead and he was on his last legs. And then to read about him waking up in that nightmare? It's really cruel to the reader, KWIM?

I liked the psychological part of Luke's ordeal in the second part, it's just that the three cruel idiots just reminded me too much of a slasher story. I wanted the horror to be elevated into something really mystical and mindblowing. I didn't get that because it's not what the author intended for us to read about, but I still enjoyed this page turner.

message 26: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (love4leo) | 141 comments I thought it was going to be like The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King and he would (view spoiler)