Catholic Group discussion

Debates > How old should people be to date?

Comments (showing 1-28 of 28) (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Bailey (JSBailey) I was 16 when I started dating. It was the worst mistake I ever made--or the greatest lesson of my life. I think both.

I'm married now. To someone else.

message 2: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Bailey (JSBailey) On the flipside, my parents started dating when they were 14 and 21 and got married 4 years later. They're still married to this day. So it doesn't matter so much when a person begins dating; what matters is who they date and how mature both parties are.

message 3: by ϟEvelynϟ (new)

ϟEvelynϟ (paralynperea) | 89 comments I would say high school. People date in my middle school and it's only for like 2 weeks and they get another boyfriend/girlfriend. It's dumb but I get used to it.

message 4: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Bailey (JSBailey) Maribel wrote: "I haven't dated yet, but I guess I wanna date sometime to see if God wants me to be married, single, or a nun. I've been thinking about becoming a nun though."

I thought about doing that once. Then I discovered dudes. ;) But hey, if you're called to do it, do it!

message 5: by ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Supernatural Freak} (last edited Sep 28, 2012 07:33PM) (new)

ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Supernatural Freak} (Taggerung) | 36 comments I have yet to date. I don't think it's necessary until you can actually see yourself getting married within the next three years because it's just an emotional waste if you're dating with no point to it. The point of dating should be to decide if you really want to marry that person, not to have a boyfriend/girlfriend, or have fun, or feel loved. :) and I'm 18 btw, it hasn't killed me to not have had a boyfriend my entire time I was in high school.

message 6: by ϟEvelynϟ (new)

ϟEvelynϟ (paralynperea) | 89 comments ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Lerman Lover} wrote: "I have yet to date. I don't think it's necessary until you can actually see yourself getting married within the next three years because it's just an emotional waste if you're dating with no point ..."

I totally understand your reasoning and all but I still say that you should be able to date someone if you really, really like them..and if you are in high school.

message 7: by ϟEvelynϟ (new)

ϟEvelynϟ (paralynperea) | 89 comments ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Lerman Lover} wrote: "I have yet to date. I don't think it's necessary until you can actually see yourself getting married within the next three years because it's just an emotional waste if you're dating with no point ..."

Isn't that courting?

ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Supernatural Freak} (Taggerung) | 36 comments Basically. Courting, dating, however ya want to put it, being in a recreational relationship ain't cool no matter your age or what you call it.

message 10: by ϟEvelynϟ (new)

ϟEvelynϟ (paralynperea) | 89 comments ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Lerman Lover} wrote: "Basically. Courting, dating, however ya want to put it, being in a recreational relationship ain't cool no matter your age or what you call it."

Haha, I guess you have a point somehow. Still, teens these days are most likely to date in high school and even in middle school. I don't think it hurts unless it is taken too far. :) Anywho, how's Trey, Tag? ;)

ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Supernatural Freak} (Taggerung) | 36 comments Ugh. You had to ask. I told one of my guy friends, thinking he would have no way of contacting him. Well, turns out he had Trey's number from an mms....so he talked with Trey....about me.....and he's never even met Trey....

message 12: by ϟEvelynϟ (new)

ϟEvelynϟ (paralynperea) | 89 comments O.O Please continue.

ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Supernatural Freak} (Taggerung) | 36 comments Soooo....idk what exactly Vincent said to Trey....but he says that Trey likes me a little more than a friend, but doesn't think it'd work between us.

message 14: by ϟEvelynϟ (last edited Sep 28, 2012 07:57PM) (new)

ϟEvelynϟ (paralynperea) | 89 comments Do you mind that he thinks it wouldn't work out between you guys? :,(

ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Supernatural Freak} (Taggerung) | 36 comments A little yeah...might have been a bit upset when I first got told by Vincent...

message 16: by ϟEvelynϟ (new)

ϟEvelynϟ (paralynperea) | 89 comments Yeah, I understand. :/

ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Supernatural Freak} (Taggerung) | 36 comments But oh well. I didn't really see mom and dad approving of a guy that wasn't catholic, so it worked out for the best I guess.

message 18: by ϟEvelynϟ (new)

ϟEvelynϟ (paralynperea) | 89 comments Yeah, you're right. But you still really like him. :3

ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Supernatural Freak} (Taggerung) | 36 comments True, but not as much as some other crushes I've had. I'll get over it. There are plenty of guys out there lol. I just need to find the right one. :)

message 20: by ϟEvelynϟ (new)

ϟEvelynϟ (paralynperea) | 89 comments True, true.

message 21: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (NormalGirl) I started dating at 15 in Freshmen year of highschool. It was the day of the New Year's Eve Masquerade and I was dressed up as a Greek Princess with a beautiful mask of white lace and gold trimming. It was purely breathtaking. Still have it although its started to yellow. This dashing prince from Rome complete with a telling English tilt to his voice swept me off my feet literally and informed me if the murdering battle between the montegues and the capulets. I polietly informed him that I was from Greece and he said that I was Juliet and his angel. Okay so his line was corny but we got to talking. I learned his family is from Britain and before the clock struck midnight my dad introduced me to his friends son which so happened to be the same guy I was talking to before. We kissed polietly at midnight. We started talking almost everyday on the phone. I went to his prom that May and kissed him for real and he was voted prom king so me in default was prom queen. Of a highschool that i didnt even go to. He went off to college and I stayed at highschool. We talked constantly and dated when he could see me. He didn't come to graduation because he missed his plane in england. He made it up to me by treating me to a freeparents weekend in new york but never had sex with me even though we shared the bed. I attended college near boston to be close to his graduate school Harvard. I attended his undergraduate graduation. In freshmen spring of college. He proposed to me and I said yes. In sophomore year at christmas he invitex me to christmas at his house and proposed to me in front of his parents with a sizable ring. I said yes again. Fast forward to now. Im in my junior year of undergrad college. Hes at harvard. We are still engaged and talk about our upcoming marriage in 2014. We are planning our first child and laughing over baby names. The point to this story is I wasn't looking for marriage but marriage found me. God put this ahmazing guy in my life and I didnt even know it. Jon is the first guy I ever dated and he'll be the last God willing.

message 22: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (NormalGirl) Wow. I wrote a novel length post.

message 23: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (NormalGirl) Lol. Who knows maybe you will! The point of the story is you have to meet people and talk and maybe date to find the right person. You have to find that person. My best friend is dating someone right now. She has dated 5 different guys but hasn't found the right one yet.

message 24: by ϟEvelynϟ (new)

ϟEvelynϟ (paralynperea) | 89 comments Hannah wrote: "I started dating at 15 in Freshmen year of highschool. It was the day of the New Year's Eve Masquerade and I was dressed up as a Greek Princess with a beautiful mask of white lace and gold trimming..."

That's awesome! That sounds so romantic and sweet. :) I hope everything works out for the best. C:

message 25: by ϟEvelynϟ (new)

ϟEvelynϟ (paralynperea) | 89 comments Hannah wrote: "Lol. Who knows maybe you will! The point of the story is you have to meet people and talk and maybe date to find the right person. You have to find that person. My best friend is dating someone rig..."

Exactly. You have to find that right person first, so that is why you date a few people...then you find the one and decide to marry.

message 26: by ϟEvelynϟ (new)

ϟEvelynϟ (paralynperea) | 89 comments Hannah wrote: "Lol. Who knows maybe you will! The point of the story is you have to meet people and talk and maybe date to find the right person. You have to find that person. My best friend is dating someone rig..."

She still has time.

message 27: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (NormalGirl) Lol. Thankz everyone! The funny part was that I wasn't looking for love. Gosh! I didn't even know what a crush was! But I felt deep in my heart that I wasn't going to find a better greater guy than Jon. I still believe that. He's so amazing.

message 28: by ϟEvelynϟ (new)

ϟEvelynϟ (paralynperea) | 89 comments XD