Global Book Selections discussion

2013 DISCUSSIONS > THE SOLITUDE OF PRIME NUMBERS by Paolo Giordano - EUROPE

Comments (showing 1-22 of 22) (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elena (For Books that Matter) | 218 comments Mod
I am so excited to talk about this book.

message 2: by Val (new)

Val The library has it, so I should be able to pick up a copy next week.

message 3: by Beth Asmaa (new)

Beth Asmaa (wildbirdmom) This evening I began the chapter about one of the book's main characters Alice Della Rocca. This opening chapter takes place in 1983 at a ski school on the French-Italian border high on Mount Chaberton. Basic ski vocabulary won't tax non-skiers.

The next chapter will introduce the other main character, the math student Mattia.

You know I'm not sure I like it yet. But I am only 30 pages in. I can't quite put my finger on why it doesn't live up to my expectations. I'll just have to wait and see if that changes.

message 5: by Beth Asmaa (new)

Beth Asmaa (wildbirdmom) The first chapter almost made me lay aside the book. I'm continuing because the book is/was a success in Italy. So, I'm also giving it a chance to win me over.

message 6: by Beth Asmaa (new)

Beth Asmaa (wildbirdmom) I've been introduced to the very young schoolboy Mattia, the twin of Michela in 'Archimede's Principle 1984". That chapter title doesn't shout out its meaning but experience might teach Mattia to use better judgment.

message 7: by Val (last edited Oct 02, 2012 02:48PM) (new)

Val I collected the book today, so have not had a chance to read much of it yet. The two main characters are not really acting like intrinsically isolated prime numbers at the moment, but I am hoping that there will be a use of the numerical analogy eventually, otherwise it is just a catchy title for a book about unhappy people.

message 8: by Sonja (new)

Sonja (osso) | 10 comments Mod
Val wrote: "The two main characters are not really acting like intrinsically isolated prime numbers at the moment, but I am hoping t..."

I definitely don't feel a whole lot for these characters. Interesting idea, but poorly executed.

message 9: by Val (new)

Val It is quite short so I read it in two days. I thought it was quite good, but nothing special.

message 10: by Val (new)

Val The author uses episodes from the lives of his characters and then leaves them for a few years.
Did that work, do you think?

Sonja wrote: "Val wrote: "The two main characters are not really acting like intrinsically isolated prime numbers at the moment, but I am hoping t..."

I definitely don't feel a whole lot for these characters. I..."

Yea, Val. I have to agree with you. I am really not feeling this writing. I am really disconnected to the plot, and a lot of it has to do with the approach and delivery of the plot.... I really hope that by the time I finish it, it turns around.

Val wrote: "The author uses episodes from the lives of his characters and then leaves them for a few years.
Did that work, do you think?"

Hmm... this is a good question to think about as I get more into the book. I feel like it will backfire into the plot, but then again it might be a tactic to let you wonder more. I feel really ambiguous about this book, I'm not sure what to think.

Who has finished this book by the way?

message 14: by Sonja (new)

I've finished it already. I don't know if the gaps in years mattered. I did think the random focus on Denis for a chapter was strange because it wasn't really necessary to the story at all.

I am finally in 1998. I think it might actually get a little better. I'm looking forward to this section. The book was so dry, though, that I barely remember what I actually read. This book really didn't live up to my expectations based on the summary and the book cover... I was really hoping it would a stronger novel. :( I might finish this book today and then I will go back and finish the other books from the previous months. :)

message 16: by Beth Asmaa (new)

Beth Asmaa (wildbirdmom) I am continuing to read this work. The title is intriguing; the story caught my interest. I have read worse and better :)

alright i have finished and its probably my most dissapointin novel to date...i thought it would be more touching and depthful...it was awefully dry.

im going back to finish last months WOLF TOTEM i was enjoying it fondly, but its one of those books with so much depth n wisdom you have to let urself ansorb it... the pace matters...

message 18: by Sonja (new)

I'm still working on Wolf Totem as well. Very interesting but a slower read.

message 19: by Val (new)

Val I think I may have expected too much from this one. It is not bad, but as I said earlier, it is nothing special either.
Please can we have a second book for October, perhaps a choice of one of the two which came joint second.

Val wrote: "I think I may have expected too much from this one. It is not bad, but as I said earlier, it is nothing special either.
Please can we have a second book for October, perhaps a choice of one of the ..."

Val, that's a really great idea. I'm really happy you suggested it. The next two runners up were a tie between Half of a Yellow Sun and Nemesis I vote that we read Half of a Yellow Sun. Let me know what you guys think. I'll post the majority preference for the book we want to read addition in October today! so we can get started.

message 21: by Val (new)

Val I know you originally said we would only have one this month, but The Solitude of Prime Numbers is both short and not all that inspiring for those who have read it so far, so it would be good to have a second book which we could talk about a bit more.
I have read Half of a Yellow Sun before. It does have plenty to talk about in the historical background (post-colonial, inter-tribal civil war and famine), the family dynamic and who 'should' write books about Africa. (I am not giving away any plot spoilers there, but you might want to have the themes in mind, if this one is chosen.)
I would prefer to read "Nemesis", because I haven't yet and it looks really good. I think there will be plenty of things to discuss in the book, but I don't know what they are yet (obviously).

Val wrote: "I know you originally said we would only have one this month, but The Solitude of Prime Numbers is both short and not all that inspiring for those who have read it so far, so it would be good to ha..."

Yea I agree with you Val. I wasn't very fond of 'THe Solitude of Prime Numbers' either, and there are more of us on that same page. So I will definitely agree for a second book. I have not read either of the two, and since you've already read "Half of a Yellow Sun' I'll be willing to read Nemesis.

Does anyone else have any additional input?