The WTF? Book Club discussion

Future Book Club Selections - What Books Do You Want To See??

Comments (showing 1-27 of 27) (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Richard (new)

Richard | 47 comments Mod
Hey All,
Just wondering what books / authors should we look to feature in our future book votes??

Your ideas please :)

message 2: by Steph (new)

Steph Mulrine (smulrine) | 10 comments I think a lot of the nominated books for the October read would be good to throw in again. I found it quite difficult to choose as there were so many I wanted to read.

Also, off my TBR list.

Fahrenheit 451
Slaughterhouse-Five
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

And also anything really by Iain Banks I would be happy to see too. I adore The Wasp Factory.

message 3: by Richard (new)

Funny you should mention Iain Banks, as have been tossing around the idea of including "The Wasp Factory" and currently reading "Complicity" thanks to Sharon sending me a copy. Vonnegut is another author I keep meaning to add to the vote, so will make sure he gets added onto the next one.

If anyone has books that they see in the votes that they want to see carried across, if they let us know and we will make sure that they get added.

message 4: by Gracebukowski (new)

Gracebukowski | 8 comments Geek Love by Katherine Dunn

message 5: by Richard (new)

Another great choice and one of my all time favorites along with Theodore Rozak's "Flicker". Bizarrely not read any of her other books though.

message 6: by Gracebukowski (new)

Gracebukowski | 8 comments I've never read it, ill have to put that on my list.

message 7: by Gracebukowski (new)

Gracebukowski | 8 comments Have you read Broken by Daniel Clay? I haven't read it in a few years. I remember reading and thinking it was fantastic. I wouldn't be opposed to a re-read. It is definitely a WTF book.

message 8: by Richard (new)

I've not read it, but I love the idea of the narrator being in coma. Definitely looks like another book worth adding to the vote.

message 9: by Steph (new)

Steph Mulrine (smulrine) | 10 comments Broken sounds very interesting!

message 10: by Richard (new)

We will be posting the next book vote on the 24/10 to give you all a full week to vote for next months book, so any books you'd like to see on that poll, make sure you let us know before then, so we can get them added to the vote.

message 11: by Richard (new)

Tommorow we kick off our next book vote to decide what we will be reading in November. So if there is a book you would like to see in the vote, make sure to post it below and we will make sure to include it :)

message 12: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Dennis | 6 comments What about House of Dolls for the next book to read? It's a complete headf*ck.

message 13: by Richard (new)

Who is it by? Currently getting four or five books under the title.

message 14: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Dennis | 6 comments Ka tzetnik 135633

message 15: by Richard (new)

While May be reserved for reading On the Road we are open to ideas as always for future book ideas you would like to see in the polls, aswell as ideas for themed book votes.

message 16: by Kristine (new)

Kristine Stacke (KrisStacke) My boyfriend is currently reading John Dies at the End by David Wong and it sounds like the type of thing that's appropriate for this club, so that is my suggestion!

message 17: by Richard (new)

It is a book I want to add to the next book vote, especially as I got a real kick out of the film version, so keen to compare the two. Would also like to look at bizarre fiction novels aswell as always held a curiosity for me.

message 18: by David (new)

David (darko1979) | 1 comments Blue Beard by Vonnegut is worth a read.

message 19: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Smith (KillByQuill) | 2 comments Just joined, excited to be a part of this group.
Here's a few selections I've been meaning to get to myself:

Catch-22 / Joseph Heller
Play It As It Lays / Joan Didion
Jesus' Son / Denis Johnson
Cold Snap / Thom Jones
The Pugilist at Rest / Thom Jones
I, Lucifer / Glen Duncan
Haunted / Chuck Palahniuk
Welcome to the Monkey House / Kurt Vonnegut
A Walk in the Woods / Bill Bryson
Me Talk Pretty One Day / David Sedaris
The Bell Jar / Sylvia Plath

My favorite book is 'Geek Love' by Katherine Dunn. I'll assume I'm in the right place. :)

message 20: by James (new)

James Paterson | 1 comments some suggestions;

Chuck Palahniuk,
Charles Bukowski,
Kurt Vonnegut,
Hermann Hesse,
Hunter S Thompson

cheers

message 21: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (PatricktheMediocre) The devil is dead by R. A. Lafferty.

I've been wanting to re-read this kind of silly brain-melter for a while, but I'm kinda scared and need somebody to hold my hand. :)

message 22: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (Durtybumz) | 8 comments George Saunders CivilWarLand in Bad Decline is great. I saw Geek Love mentioned by this club, which is also the reason I joined.

message 23: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (PatricktheMediocre) Etidorhpa; Or, the End of Earth; The Strange History of a Mysterious Being and the Account of a Remarkable Journey By John Uri Lloyd. An LSD trip 75 years before LSD was invented. And it is free at Gutenburg, having been published before 1900.

message 24: by Dean (new)

Dean Blake (deanblake) | 3 comments If you want a truly WTF book, try 69 Things to Do with a Dead Princess. That'll have you WTFing like there's no tomorrow.

For more accessible reading, Haruki Murakami's books also leave more questions than answers.

message 25: by Alex (new)

Alex Vermeulen | 5 comments I've been dying to read Midnight Cowboy by James Leo Hirlehy. Never read any of his work but I love the movie. Been searching the book in English for over ten years now. If someone knows where I could buy the book, pleas hook me up.

message 26: by Rick (new)

Rick Schindler | 1 comments At the risk of being presumptuous, I'd like to suggest my own novel Fandemonium meets the criteria of this group; it's funny, it's gently postmodern, and it has an online supplement (http://rickschindlerbooks.com/fantasy...) to the fictional characters referred to within its fictional world. It has just been chosen as the January Book of the Month by the Superheroes and Comic Book Club.

message 27: by Richard (new)

Ok folks, the floor is still open for ideas on books you like to see discussed by the group, so let us know what you think we should be reading.