Doctor Who: The Library of Carsus discussion

The Doctor's Infinite Library > Favorite Quotes

Comments (showing 1-45 of 45) (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori S. (new)

Lori S. (fuzzipueo) | 334 comments Mod
This is a topic I love to start in any group I join. Quotes from every facet of the Whoniverse! I collect the silly things, so it's a long standing habit. Also, it's just fun to see what everyone else comes away with when they're watching/reading/listening to our favorite Time Lord.

The Five Doctors:
Brigadier: Splendid chaps. All of him.

The Gallifrey Chronicles

2005 Lance Parkin's tribute to the Doctor & his fans.
(Pgs. 130-131)

The Doctor closed his eyes.

Strip away all the deceptions, uncover the truth.

And the truth is: the Doctor was the finest dream of hundreds of human beings, refined as they tapped away at their typewriters. For generations, they'd made him a hero to countless millions in over a hundred countries. Then, just once, he hadn't come back. His enemies had kept him away. But despite their best efforts, he hadn't been forgotten. There were those who remembered him when they walked past a dummy in a shop window or sat on the beach looking out to sea, and every time they ground pepper.

Some of those who remembered had typewriters of their own.
And after far too long, a new generation of children were about to hear that music for the first time, and they would hear their sofa wasn't just for sitting on ...

Doctor Who: Curse of the Fatal Death
The Assistant: Maybe even the universe can't bear to be without the Doctor.

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 154 comments Love that 5 Doctors quote. More 5 Doctors quotes I like (paraphrased since I can't recall it exactly and I can't find it online):

DOCTOR 2: I read it in The Times.
?: But the reporters are still here.
DOCTOR 2: Tomorrow's Times.

------
Doctor 3 rescuing Sarah Jane
SARAH JANE: It's YOU!
DOCTOR 3: Yes it's me Sarah Jane
SARAH JANE: But you changed you you're...
DOCTOR 3: ALL teeth and curls? Well Yes I am, well I will be.

message 3: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 17 comments The Seeds Of Death
Doctor: YOU CAN'T KILL ME! I'M A GENIUS!

The Androids Of Tara
Doctor: Would you mind not standing on my chest? My hat's on fire.

The Robots Of Death
Doctor: Nothing is inexplicable, only unexplained.

Nightmare Of Eden
Captain Riggs: It's totally inexplicable.
Doctor: Nothing is inexplicable.
Captain Riggs: Then explain it.
Doctor: It's inexplicable!

The Three Doctors
Second Doctor: I see you've been redecorating the TARDIS. I don't like it.

message 4: by Travis (new)

Travis (travisHiltz) | 432 comments 4th Doctor: "Stand back or I'll kill him with this deadly jelly baby."

5th Doctor ( on meeting all his other regenerations in 'Five Doctors'): "I'm not the man I used to be...thank goodness."

11th Doctor: "You're Scottish, fry something!"

message 5: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lawston (AndrewLawston) | 38 comments "What a wonderful butler, he's so violent."

message 6: by Mary JL (new)

Mary JL (MaryJL) | 64 comments Terror of the Autons:

The Doctor (to his captor) How much are they paying you?
The villain: Now, Doctor, a gentleman nevers talks about money.
The Doctor: Nonsense. Gentlemen never talk about anything else!

and not a Doctor quote but from the same episdoe: I am known as the Master...universally.

message 7: by Lori S. (last edited Oct 03, 2012 08:17AM) (new)

Identify the story:

The Doctor: Funny about the windows.
Romana: What windows?
The Doctor: Exactly.

The Two Doctors:
Peri: Circular logic will only make you dizzy Doctor.

message 8: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) I can't remember the quote but I love the scene where River is with him flying the Tardis and she lands it without it making that noise. The doctor says she didn't land it because it didn't make that noise (Matt Smith imitated the sound very well) and River told him that's because he doesn't land it correctly.

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 154 comments Karen B wrote: "I can't remember the quote but I love the scene where River is with him flying the Tardis and she lands it without it making that noise. The doctor says she didn't land it because it didn't make t..."

She also said the reason is he leaves the brakes on.

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 154 comments Lori wrote: "Identify the story:

The Doctor: Funny about the windows.
Romana: What windows?
The Doctor: Exactly."

Was that "The City of Death"?

message 11: by Lori S. (last edited Oct 04, 2012 08:46AM) (new)

No. This is a story that happened in another space...

Same story, another quote:
The Doctor: Do you know, it just occurs to me there are vampire legends on almost every inhabited planet.
Romana: Really?
The Doctor: Yes.

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 154 comments Ah it's "State of Decay".

message 13: by Lori S. (new)

=0D

message 14: by Lori S. (last edited Oct 05, 2012 07:09AM) (new)

Book to TV comparisons -

Human Nature
Paul Cornell 1995
The Doctor: I’ve found out that being the Doctor ... it’s not about having special knowledge or abilities. It’s about not being cruel. It’s about not being afraid. There are monsters out there, yes. Terrible things. But you don’t have to become one in order to defeat them. You can be peaceful in the face of their cruelty. You can win by being cleverer than they are.

The Family of Blood
Tommy: I've seen him. And he's like fire and ice and rage. He's like the night and the storm in the heart of the sun. He's ancient and forever. He burns at the center of time and he can see the turn of the universe. And he's wonderful.

==== ====
Genocide Paul Leonard 1997
Sam ... saw the Doctor's face reflected in the dark water. It seemed disembodied,
timeless - no, not timeless. Old ... Inside the youthful
energy, the brillance, was someone who had seen perhaps too many things.

The Doctor: We all have to be Daleks sometimes. It's just a matter
of knowing when you really don't have any choice.

TV quote interlude:
Dalek 2005
Dalek to the Doctor: You would make a good Dalek.

message 15: by Lori S. (new)

Fun stuff:
Inside the TARDIS: The Worlds of Doctor Who
James Chapman (pg. 56):
[Discussing the audience's attraction to a particular companion]
In many respects Jamie is the ideal male companion for Doctor Who: his naive, childlike curiosity made him a point of identification for younger viewers ... while his physical courage and acts of derring-do would appeal to adolescent males.

There is, alas, no evidence in the audience research to suggest what effect the weekly sight of [Fraser] Hines's knees might have had on female viewers.

message 16: by Travis (new)

Travis (travisHiltz) | 432 comments New favorite quotes from season 7:

'What kind of man goes somewhere without his trowel?"

Are you the Doctor's Queen?"
"No, I'm Rory's Queen...don't tell him I said that."

message 17: by no (new)

no | 4 comments "This is an ambulance!"

- The Master (Tv movie)

message 18: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Kresal | 41 comments "Time will tell, it always does."

- The Seventh Doctor (Remembrance Of The Daleks)

message 19: by Crystal (new)

Crystal | 1 comments "Who da man?? [silence] I'm never saying that again. Fine."

- The Eleventh Hour

message 20: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 20 comments Just some of my favourites:

"You have the mouth of a prattling jackanapes. But your eyes… they tell a different story."

- Sharaz Jek on the Doctor, The Caves of Androzani

Hex on the Doctor: "Sometimes he gets so close to the monsters it's hard to tell them apart."

- Protect and Survive

"From what I've seen your funny little happy-go-lucky life leads devastation in it's wake. Always moving on because you'd dare not look back. Playing with so many people's lives you might as well be a god."

- Blon Fel Fotch Slitheen talking to the Doctor in Boom Town.

The Doctor: "I want you to tell your men to run away."
Colonel Manton: "What?"
The Doctor: "Those words. "Run away." I want you to be famous for those exact words. I want people to call you Colonel Runaway. I want children laughing outside your door, 'cause they've found the house of Colonel Runaway. And when people come to you and ask if trying to get to me THROUGH THE PEOPLE I LOVE!... is in any way a good idea, I want you to tell them your name."

- A Good Man Goes to War

"Every time I negotiate, I try to understand. Well not today. No, today I honor the victims first. His, The Master's, the Daleks! All the people that died because of my mercy!"

- A Town Called Mercy

"I'm old enough to know that a longer life isn't always a better one. In the end you just get tired. Tired of the struggle. Tired of losing everyone that matters to you. Tired of watching everything turn to dust. If you live long enough, Lazarus, the only certainty left is that you'll end up alone."

- The Lazarus Experiment

And because it's so ridiculous and makes no sense:
"There's nothing you can do to prevent the catharsis of spurious morality!"

- The Ultimate Foe

message 21: by Travis (new)

Travis (travisHiltz) | 432 comments 5Th: "Well, an apple a days keeps the..ah, never mind."

12th: "Don't worry, I'm an intruder too. I brought snacks."

4th: First things first, but not nessicarily in that order.

message 22: by Jack (new)

Jack Bowden | 28 comments Seven: "See? Every great decision creates ripples, like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge, rebound off the banks in unforeseeable ways. The heavier the decision, the larger the waves, the more uncertain the consequences."

message 23: by Travis (new)

Travis (travisHiltz) | 432 comments 7th: "Hello, I'm the Doctor and this is my friend Ace."

12th: "Rory!"
Amy: Why are you doing that?"
12th: "Whenever you make that face it means you want to talk about feelings and when you do, I get Rory. Rory! She's having an emotion!"

Jamie: Doctor, look at the size of that thing!"
2nd: "Yes, Jamie, that is a big one."

message 24: by Lori S. (new)

Jack wrote: "Seven: "See? Every great decision creates ripples, like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge, rebound off the banks in unforeseeable ways. The heavier the decision, the larger the wa..."

One of my favorites.

message 25: by Jack (new)

Jack Bowden | 28 comments It's beautiful isn't it. Such a lovely quiet moment just dropped in the middle of a high-octane episode. Seven is easily my favourite incarnation from a writing perspective, he really makes you feel the weight of all he's been through, I wish they would incorporate more of that dangerous trickster mentality with Capaldi.

Oh, another favourite of mine, because I'm just so grossly sentimental and it kills me every time.

Eleven: It's funny, I thought, if you could hear me, I could hang on, somehow. Silly me. Silly old Doctor. When you wake up, you'll have a mum and dad, and you won't even remember me. Well, you'll remember me a little. I'll be a story in your head. But that's OK: we're all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? Because it was, you know, it was the best: a daft old man, who stole a magic box and ran away. Did I ever tell you I stole it? Well, I borrowed it; I was always going to take it back. Oh, that box, Amy, you'll dream about that box. It'll never leave you. Big and little at the same time, brand-new and ancient, and the bluest blue, ever. And the times we had, eh? Would've had. Never had. In your dreams, they'll still be there. The Doctor and Amy Pond... and the days that never came.

message 26: by Travis (new)

Travis (travisHiltz) | 432 comments For all of Moffatt's snark and'Oh, aren't i clever!' he can do some amazingly sweet moments that just get right to the core of what makes the Doctor special.
for every time I want to slap him there's another where I get goosebumps.

12: I am not a bad man, I'm not a good man. I am...an idiot! With a box and a screwdriver and I go along and try and help where I can."

Clara: "Oh run, you clever boy!"

message 27: by Jack (new)

Jack Bowden | 28 comments I feel like 12 has had some of the best lines so far, like the entire speech from the Zygon Inversion could easily go here. but my favourite so far has to be

"I tried to talk. I want you to remember that. I tried to reach out. I tried to understand you, but I think that you understand us perfectly. And I think that you just don't care! And I don't know whether you're here to invade, infiltrate or just replace us. I don't suppose it really matters now. You are monsters! That is the role you seem determined to play, so it seems that I must play mine. *epic coat flip* the man that stops the monsters!"

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 154 comments I think I've already said there are a ton of them for me.
Anyone remember 4ths "Bot of a Shick"?

Also 11 in "The Pandorica Opens"
One of my fave bits:
THE DOCTOR: "Yes, OK, OK, OK, OK. Dalek fleet. Minimum twelve thousand battleships armed to the teeth.
Aaaah! But we've got surprise on our side. They'll never expect three people to attack twelve thousand Dalek battleships. 'Cos we'd be killed instantly, so it would be a fairly short surprise.

Forget surprise."

Then his speech on Stonehenge. (part of it here)

Doctor: "Come on, look at me! No plan, no backup, no weapons worth a damn, oh, and something else I don't have: anything to lose! So, if you're sitting up there in your silly little space ships with all your silly little guns, and you've got any plans on taking the Pandorica tonight, just remember who's standing in your way! Remember every black day I ever stopped you, and then, *and then*, do the smart thing!
[pause]
Let somebody else try first."

message 29: by Travis (new)

Travis (travisHiltz) | 432 comments 12th: The bathroom...? Down the stairs, first right, first left, just past the macaroon dispenser."

message 30: by Lori S. (new)

LOL

message 31: by Travis (new)

Travis (travisHiltz) | 432 comments 12:" Can't you just let me enjoy not knowing...? it happens so rarely."

message 32: by Lori S. (new)

I've linked the most excellent The Zygon Inversion Speech because it's a bit too long to quote here.

message 33: by Travis (new)

Travis (travisHiltz) | 432 comments 12: "Seven billion people on this planet, and I found you.
That's why I put up with the rest of them."

2: "You can't kill me! I'm a genius!"

message 34: by Travis (new)

Travis (travisHiltz) | 432 comments Nordole: It's a bit damp"
12: It's Scotland, you've got to expect that."

message 35: by Travis (new)

Travis (travisHiltz) | 432 comments Bill: "Nordole, are you a secret badass?"
Nordole: Nothing secret about it, babydoll."

message 36: by Travis (new)

Travis (travisHiltz) | 432 comments 11: "One thing you must remember, very important...I am a mad man with a box."

4: What's the point of being a grown up if you can't be childish from time to time...?"

message 37: by Helen (new)

Helen (seattlekos) | 5 comments Fourth Doctor to Countess Scarlioni (City of Death) "Ah, well, you're a beautiful woman, probably."

Sixth Doctor to Peri (Twin Dilemma) "I am the Doctor, whether you like it or not."

The Ninth Doctor and Captain Jack (Boom Town)
Jack (after seeing Rose and Mickey hug) to the Doctor: Why don't I get any of that?
Doctor: Buy me a drink first.
Jack: You're such hard work.
Doctor: But I'm worth it.

Rory to some Cybermen:
Rory: I have a question and a message from the Doctor. Where...is...my...wife? Oh, don't give me those blank looks....
Cyberman: What is the Doctor's message?
(the 12th Cyberlegion blows up in reply)
Rory: Would you like me to repeat the question?

12th Doctor to Rassilon: Get off my planet.

message 38: by Lori S. (new)

Helen wrote: "12th Doctor to Rassilon: Get off my planet."

One of my favorites.

message 39: by Travis (new)

Travis (travisHiltz) | 432 comments Lori S. wrote: "Helen wrote: "12th Doctor to Rassilon: Get off my planet."

One of my favorites."

I love when the soldiers warn him to surrender any weapons and all he does is put down his spoon.

message 40: by Lori S. (new)

Travis wrote: "Lori S. wrote: "Helen wrote: "12th Doctor to Rassilon: Get off my planet."

One of my favorites."

I love when the soldiers warn him to surrender any weapons and all he does is put down his spoon."

It's a great scene.

message 41: by Travis (new)

Travis (travisHiltz) | 432 comments Clara: You've redecorated...I don't like it."

12: I added a few more round things. Used to have a lot of round things, I wonder what happened to them...?"

Little boy: "Are you afraid of the monsters?"

11th: "No, they're afraid of me."

message 42: by Travis (new)

Travis (travisHiltz) | 432 comments 12: Ship! You still call it a ship!"

"Hate is always foolish. Love is always kind."

12: We are never talking about this again."

Bill: Oh, we will be talking about this a lot."

message 43: by Travis (new)

Travis (travisHiltz) | 432 comments 12: Silly old universe...the more I save it, the more it needs saving. It's a treadmill. Yes, yes, I know, without me they'll just get it wrong.

Well, one more lifetime won't kill anyone."

message 44: by Dene (new)

Dene October | 9 comments I really love this line from Barbara, one of my all-time favourite characters, said in anger during 'The Reign of Terror', 1794 (that's not the broadcast date btw), but so applicable to the times we live in where views are so polarised:

"The revolution isn't all bad, and neither are the people who support it. It changed things for the whole world, and good, honest people gave their lives for that change."

message 45: by Lori S. (last edited Apr 20, 2018 01:42PM) (new)

The Day of the Doctor - Steven Moffat:
“The Moment ‘You know the sound that the TARDIS makes, when it lands? That wheezing, groaning?’
War Doctor ‘Yes.’
The Moment ‘I love it. Don’t you.’
War Doctor ‘Of course I love it.’
The Moment ‘Then swear this,’ she said, taking my hand. ‘Swear that wherever that sound is heard, it will bring hope.’
War Doctor ‘I swear it.’
Her [The Moment's] grip on my hand was tighter now. ‘No, swear it and mean it. Swear that anyone, anywhere, who hears that sound will turn and look, and know they’re not alone.”

and another

‘Peter Cushing played the Doctor? The guy from Star Wars?’
‘Oh, yes. Twice. We did try to suppress the films, but they kept showing up on bank holidays.’
‘Has the Doctor seen them?’
‘Seen them? He loves them. He loaned Peter Cushing a waistcoat for the second one, they were great friends. Though we only realised that when Cushing starting showing up in movies made long after his death.