American Psycho American Psycho discussion

Other books by Bret Ellis

Comments (showing 1-16 of 16) (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Fatin Okay! So I have been thinking of reading The Informers. I'm real close to buying it. That or Less Than Zero. I'm not sure which one to go for.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I wouldn't go with The Informers, if that's your second Ellis novel. Informers is a loose collection of short stories, some of which predate Less Than Zero. It's his weakest book out of all of them (other than maybe Imperial Bedrooms).

Less Than Zero and Rules of Attraction are his two strongest works. Less Than Zero is a very effective satire and evisceration of 80s Los Angeles and espouses a pretty nihilistic worldview. Rules of Attraction is a satire about college, and it's funny and equally depressing. Plus, Rules of Attraction sets up some of the fun stuff that's used in later novels like American Psycho and Glamorama.

Fatin I've read American Psycho, that was my first novel by him, and I adored it.
So...should I buy Less Than Zero or Rules of Attraction then?
I do enjoy short stories because I end up in "readers' block" sometimes, and a short story is what helps me get out of it, but if they aren't any good, I'd rather not waste my money on them.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

They are good, but they're not great. The best word to describe The Informers is slight.

Fatin Hmm. I've decided to buy Rules of Attraction. It sounds...better, or something.

Mauricio Hope you enjoy your choice. I for one really liked American Psycho. I went out and bought Glamorama and The Informers. Before starting either I saw the movie adaption of Less Than Zero. Did not like it and am not sure I will read any this else by him..

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Mauricio wrote: "Hope you enjoy your choice. I for one really liked American Psycho. I went out and bought Glamorama and The Informers. Before starting either I saw the movie adaption of Less Than Zero. Did not lik..."

The movie adaptation of Less Than Zero is not particularly good, nor is it an accurate representation of the novel. If you liked American Psycho, you'll probably enjoy Less Than Zero. Don't let a terrible Hollywood moralizing simplistic adaptation dissuade you.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Less Than Zero is my favorite Ellis book.

Cathy Petch I've read almost all his books and Glamorama is my favourite. I saw him read once and although it was the greatest fiction reading I've been to, I also was petrified of the guy by the end of it.

Fatin I've just finished Less Than Zero. I honestly didn't think it'd shock me and scare me, but it actually did.

Charles Schmidt I've read them all and Lunar Park is one of my favorites, an underrated book.

Serge Mandeville I agree. Lunar Park is my favorite book of his.

Charles Schmidt It really is an awesome book. Might need to read it again tonight.

Collin Ouellette Charles wrote: "I've read them all and Lunar Park is one of my favorites, an underrated book."

I feel the same way...i never quite understood why the general attitude toward that book is negative.

Richard Lunar Park is wonderful, Ellis aping Stephen King and Poltergeist, it is fantastic fun

Glamorama got old quickly - nice idea but way way too long as a book, similar to Psycho in that respect

Rules of Atrraction is a better movie than it is a book

message 16: by Jet (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jet Sandyboy wrote: "Lunar Park is wonderful, Ellis aping Stephen King and Poltergeist, it is fantastic fun

Glamorama got old quickly - nice idea but way way too long as a book, similar to Psycho in that respect

Rule..."

Agree completely. I actually watched RoA then read American Psycho and then read RoA after I discovered they were both Ellis and much preferred the (RoA) movie. Also the dragging on in both American Psycho and Glamorama fits the former much better, I lost interest in Glamorama 2/3 through.